Spyderco Rubicon Goodness

I see no reason why it should be cheaper than a Southard. Handles should add quite a bit to the price to compensate for the slightly lower price of the blade...

Maybe not less, but I sure didn't expect it to be more.
The Rubicon has some nice add-ons, but I thought a Ti RIL and the improved blade steel of the Southard would have off set those, and kept them about the same price, or a bit less.

MSRP is $499. That's where I came up with the $265-$295 I posted in another thread. Very steep indeed.

Yes, it seems very steep for a S30V liner lock with a 3" blade.

I could see myself pulling the trigger on one if it's in the middle of the $200 neighborhood, but once we get to $300 and above, I have a lottttttttt of other very enticing options...

Based on the $500 MSRP we should see a street price of around $265 but if we wait a few months as low as $225. I'm basing this off of my Chaparral Stepped Titanium experience.

Based on the $500 MSRP we should see a street price of around $265 but if we wait a few months as low as $225. I'm basing this off of my Chaparral Stepped Titanium experience.

Hope you're right. I sat on that one for awhile and eventually found it new from dealer @ $250. Would be great if something similar happens here.

Hope you're right. I sat on that one for awhile and eventually found it new from dealer @ $250. Would be great if something similar happens here.

Ditto. Remember the Chaparral Stepped Titanium was/is $361.95 at KnifeCenter. Many places have it for around $300 but like you I got mine at a very low price of $259. So, the price of $320 for the Rubicon at KnifeCenter is not something I'd go by.

This thing looks like a must have. Little small for my tastes, and the clip needs a replacement by something more sober, but other than that it looks great.

I think this one will have a bigger fanbase than the stepped Ti Chap, so I don't think you'll see the same price slash. BUT, you will see it lower than 300, probably significantly so.

Back when I was newly bitten by spydermania I decided to preorder the Stealth Chap, only to see it on sale later for $30-40 less than I paid. I still think it was well worth the money, but I learned not to go nuts and preorder production models. I'm ok waiting a few months to save a little bit.

Yes, it seems very steep for a S30V liner lock with a 3" blade.

Indeed, if this is all you view it as, then it's a foolish choice. Spyderco offers many other capable options with similar stats, but this is not what makes the Rubicon expensive. If you just need a very good functional cutting tool there are plenty sub $100 spydercos that fit the bill. If you want something that wows you every time you use it, and mesmerizes you every time you look at it, expect to pay for it. You probably know this already, but I felt the need to mention it.

I think this one will have a bigger fanbase than the stepped Ti Chap, so I don't think you'll see the same price slash. BUT, you will see it lower than 300, probably significantly so.

It took a while for the Chaparral Stepped Titanium to stabilize around the common reasonable $300 street price now. Based on the $565 MSRP that's a 47% discount (I got it for 54% off but that doesn't seem to be around anymore). Even at $300 there are not many takers. Perhaps Spyderco would've been better off releasing it as a Sprint Run.

So, for the Rubicon with a $500 MSRP, eventually we should see a reasonable street price of around $265 (47% off).

Back when I was newly bitten by spydermania I decided to preorder the Stealth Chap, only to see it on sale later for $30-40 less than I paid. I still think it was well worth the money, but I learned not to go nuts and preorder production models. I'm ok waiting a few months to save a little bit.

It pays to wait a few months.

Spyderco offers many other capable options with similar stats, but this is not what makes the Rubicon expensive. If you just need a very good functional cutting tool there are plenty sub $100 spydercos that fit the bill. If you want something that wows you every time you use it, and mesmerizes you every time you look at it, expect to pay for it.

The Carbon Fiber handle of the Rubicon looks awesome and I'm sure expensive to mill. Ditto for the gorgeous intricate milling of the Chaparral Stepped Titanium.

Indeed, if this is all you view it as, then it's a foolish choice. Spyderco offers many other capable options with similar stats, but this is not what makes the Rubicon expensive. If you just need a very good functional cutting tool there are plenty sub $100 spydercos that fit the bill. If you want something that wows you every time you use it, and mesmerizes you every time you look at it, expect to pay for it. You probably know this already, but I felt the need to mention it.

Yes, I knew that already, and no need to mention it to me.
I'm 53 and have been buying collecting knives since the late 70's, and bought my first Spyderco in the early 90's. I'm not exactly new to knives.
And yes, I expect to pay for it when I'm wowed. Thats why I just got in another Large BG-42 Regular Sebenza thats in my pocket right now :p

Yes, I knew that already, and no need to mention it to me.
I'm 53 and have been buying collecting knives since the late 70's, and bought my first Spyderco in the early 90's. I'm not exactly new to knives.
And yes, I expect to pay for it when I'm wowed. Thats why I just got in another Large BG-42 Regular Sebenza thats in my pocket right now :p

Indeed, the nature of forums is that we are kind of talking to each other, but really talking to everyone, which is why I felt the need to mention it. All the "you"s in my post (except for the last line) were not directed at anyone in particular, just the hypothetical knife buyer.

2014 Blade Show Imported Knife Of The Year®: Spyderco Rubicon

Congratulations. :thumbup:

Slide11.JPG

Last edited:
I'd like to see Spyderco and/or others sell replacements for the orange accents specially glow in the dark ones with subtle colors and even matching CF ones.

I'm thinking it might be my first spyderco. :D

I came across the Peter Carey Rubicon prototype custom, which I thought was super cool. So in case you haven't seen it..some pics. (there are also several other custom protos..)

sgUIHwK.jpg

Hno6Yy3.jpg

w10Ht5L.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so glad this is being made in Taichung. (seriously, no sarcasm)

Think I'll wait & pick up a "previously owned" example at or around the $200 mark if/when they become available. That's about my ceiling for a production knife.

Back