Spyderco Salt 2 perfect choice for me??

Need help choosing a folder (yes it must be a Spyderco) to put through every day use without much care and maintenance (cleaning under running water without worrying about water getting in the pivot or scale area). Must be a good slicer, good size blade and light weight. I often use my folders in the kitchen. Will the salt 2 serve me well? How is the edge retention on the H1?

If you want rust resistance with better edge retention and kitchen/slicing duties take a look at the Spydiechef.

If you want a great low maintenance EDC the salt 2 will serve you well, but it’s not the greatest slicer nor does plain edge H1 hold a very good edge.

Edit: The Siren may also fit your needs.

Last edited:
If you want rust resistance with better edge retention and kitchen/slicing duties take a look at the Spydiechef.

If you want a great low maintenance EDC the salt 2 will serve you well, but it’s not the greatest slicer nor does plain edge H1 hold a very good edge.

Edit: The Siren may also fit your needs.
Thanks for the input. I own a para 3, but can't get myself to clean it under running water or put away dirty, so a low maintenance knife with fewer internal parts will suite my needs best. I also go to coastal areas quite often thus the reason the salt series attracted my attention. If slicing performance is close to para 3 it should be fine if not it may be a problem. Have never handled one, but the blade profile with hollow grind and 2.5mm blade thickness looks quite slicey. Where I'm situated I can't get hold of a siren and the spydiechef is a bit out of my price range. I realy like the spydiechef though.

H1 is a work-hardening steel, so in the plain edge, its got a lower edge retention than average, though with the expected ease of sharpening. I've got the Caribbean and native salt in LC200n and have had them out around salt water a bunch, and find it a great steel all around. If you can swing the extra, you might like the Native, the blade is only a hair thicker, but its got that big flat grind. To my eye, the egros of the native look better than the salt 2 for kitchen work, though I have not handled a salt 2. The native is a bit better than the caribbean sheepsfoot against a cutting board, its all in the little forward finger-kick. Its a small factor, and only noticeable if going from a proper chief's knife, I like to be able to get a lot of edge against the board, not everyone does.

The salt 2 is a fun, light, and useful folder. My only gripe of using it in the kitchen is it loses its edge quicker than I’d like and the lack of a pointy tip isn’t helpful for efficiently processing chicken and getting around bone. But for those tasks I should grab a different knife anyway:rolleyes:. Still, a very good and affordable folder which I’d say add to your collection regardless.

The spydiechef is great for chopping and dicing and is plain old cool. It’s lighter than it appears. Haven’t tried the siren, but I’ll be buying one ASAP. I’m an LC200n fan and I dig the blade profile. Give that a whirl.

Thanks for the replies. Thought I was set on the S2, but now I don't know anymore :rolleyes:. I dislike Spyderco's 8cr13mov, but Cold Steel's AUS8A suited me well. I have no experience with H1 so if it's better or similar than CS AUS8A it should be fine. What type of steel can H1 be compared to regarding edge retention?

This opinion might be unpopular, but a SALT knife is just that... designed for use in and around saltwater, as it is highly corrosive.
If you just want a steel you can rinse off under a faucet and not worry about rust, I’d go with any of the VG-10 type knives. I do food prep with a maxamet... and when I’m done I wash it off and dry it. Not a single spec of rust.
My point is, rust isn’t as big a problem as many would believe. Many of the stainless steel offerings from Spyderco would be just fine, and you could even get away with a carbon steel if you maintained it.
I’ve been collecting Spyderco’s for many years and the only time I carry the H1 dragonfly is when I’m fishing or at the beach. Just a thought.

This opinion might be unpopular, but a SALT knife is just that... designed for use in and around saltwater, as it is highly corrosive.
If you just want a steel you can rinse off under a faucet and not worry about rust, I’d go with any of the VG-10 type knives. I do food prep with a maxamet... and when I’m done I wash it off and dry it. Not a single spec of rust.
My point is, rust isn’t as big a problem as many would believe. Many of the stainless steel offerings from Spyderco would be just fine, and you could even get away with a carbon steel if you maintained it.
I’ve been collecting Spyderco’s for many years and the only time I carry the H1 dragonfly is when I’m fishing or at the beach. Just a thought.

Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I guess what I like about the salt series is the fact that when I go to our holiday home every summer holiday I can take one folder and not worry about rust when fishing, diving and kayaking and also use for all my normal EDC tasks without having to switch out folders. When I'm at home or work rust isn't an issue and I like to rotate my EDC folders.

Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I guess what I like about the salt series is the fact that when I go to our holiday home every summer holiday I can take one folder and not worry about rust when fishing, diving and kayaking and also use for all my normal EDC tasks without having to switch out folders. When I'm at home or work rust isn't an issue and I like to rotate my EDC folders.
Sounds to me like you really could use something from the Salt line. H1's plain edge retention isn't that great. A bit better or worse than AUS8 depending on the HT. I like the SE H1 knives a lot but they aren't for everyone. Still, I've carried one everyday off and one for years with nearly no maintenance. If that is truly what you want, a SALT can offer that.

LC200N is a game changer for the Salt line though. Much better PE edge retention. If you like the Para 3 then the Native Salt in LC200N might just be perfect as they are a similar size. If you don't dig the yellow like me, you can dye it. I recently got the new Spyderco Siren designed by Lance Clinton (@Surfingringo ). It really is a no maintenance, one folding knife solution. Works great for EDC and in the Kitchen. A true utility knife. You should absolutely check it out. Here's my initial take on it: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...all-things-salt.1098269/page-29#post-19695983

GZtbwPph.jpg

UePW2N9h.jpg

Going with the Siren or S2. I like the siren’s blade profile and a more premium steel, but like the S2’s yellow FRN handle more and the fact that it’s a budget folder not going to worry beating on it. Thanks for the input.

Just picked up a PE Pacific Salt 1 due to an incredible deal on closeout. I think it's the best Spyderco I never knew I needed. So yes, buy a Salt!

I have a Salt 2 and I carry it in summertime at our cabin during vacations, I can do some pretty rough stuff with it and it holds up GREAT!

Now, I haven't even bothered to read the other comments because I allready know what they are gonna say..

"H1 in plane edge sucks!!"

"You need to get the H1 in serrated if it is to be any good!"

"H1 is the best serrated ever, it's work hardened!"

Or something along those lines. My experience has been that the plane edge version of H1 holds up just fine. And it is RUST PROOF!!

An amazing feature if you are working in the environment you have described.

I'd say go for the Salt 2 in plane edge, it's a really nice knife and the edge retention is just fine. And it doesn't have any liners so it is also super light weight!

TQQSfyz.jpg

RxYhC1z.jpg

Last edited:
Back