SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

I very much approve of this thread. I will spend most of time looking in here than most other places on this site.

Hehehe. Actually I'm hoping to see this become kind of an ongoing thread where we can get together and read and share our stories and pics. I'm going to start posting my fishing/salt updates, stories, photos and general lies in here rather than starting a new thread all the time. I encourage others to do the same. Should make for an interesting ongoing story and photo thread!

Careful minimalist. You are going to end up owning a salt soon, then you'll realize you have to start fishing to justify your knife!! Next thing you know you'll be in here telling exaggerated fish stories with the rest of us! ;)

p.s. did I mention the big one that got away today! Lol, unfortunately it's actually true!

Ive been wanting a salt knife for a while just cant decide what one I want to start hahaha Im kinda leaning towards one of the hawkbill blades mostly cuz its a style I don't have yet but I do love the dragonfly and already have one in ZDP. also want a yellow handle specially after seeing someone post pics of theirs dyed toxic green :)

So me and two buddies are fishing the flats on a small mako that barely fit the three of us. One buddy is fishing at the bow, and me and the other are fishing on the sides. We both like to cast overhand a lot, and we're sitting back to back doing this. Ofcourse the buddy at the bow is calling us $@#$% idiots. We didn't care because we thought we were badasses. So we're fishing for a few hours, casting overhand the whole time and simply ducking each others' hooks. Well.. as the sun started beating down hard, eye fatigue pretty evident and patience running thin. I feel a nice cold slap on my chest (bait was kept chilled), and I remember the following moments in complete slow motion. I yelled STOP! ... and he still went on and cast.. pretty hard too. The skin was stretched a bit, so I pried it out without much difficulty. Didn't need a knife (just being honest). The other two laughed the whole time.

Lessons learned:

1) My friends suck.
2) Never cast overhand while sitting back to back.
3) I am not a badass.

Hahahaha...the three lessons are classic! I have a Florida buddy who spends almost half his time down here surfing. He has a big Yamaha jet ski that we use to do tow-ins on some of the big surf around here. We take his ski fishing at least one or two days a month. We sit back to back...like literally backs touching. We have some experience working together doing tow-ins, so we manage pretty well...so far. It's probably just a matter of time though! That reminds me, I need to convince him to get a salt to mount on the ski!

Here's a rooster we caught off the jet ski a few months ago. He hooked it and landed it, but I say "we" because anything big you land on a jet ski becomes a two man job...well, that and I just want to steal some of the credit! ;)

A5FACCC0-A099-4291-9D4D-1C0C5BEB09BC-7870-00000C187C124B45_zps961510d9.jpg

I got a chuckle out of (and agree with) your "rope cutting" remark. When I was asking questions about fishing knives people were always suggesting se knives because they cut through rope and nets so well! I was always thinking that their "fishing" experience was a lot different than mine. I am digging the se salt big time, but I'm still looking for some nets to cut! ;-)

Surfgringo,

I'm really enjoying your threads, including this one!

Regarding the rope cutting, I'm going to assume that mostly applies to commercial fishermen? I glimpsed a Spydie hawkbill...either a Harpy or a Tasman (probably the latter) on an episode of Deadliest Catch.

Unfortunately, I haven't fished in years. My dad was a tuna fisherman for years, and also took me fishing as a kid. But I love the Salt series. I own all kinds of quality knives, including other Spydies, and my EDC is one or more of the Salts. My favorites are the Tasman SE, Salt 1 SE, and Pacific SE (I used to prefer the Pacific in PE but have changed my mind). I use them daily for usual knife tasks like breaking down boxes, cutting hard plastic straps, cutting fruit and other foods, but nothing spectacular yet.

I agree that the Salts are the best value in Spyderco...and one of the best in knives, period. Sure, there's more expensive, more complicated and fancy. But I really love the simplicity of the Salts. And you don't need to be going into the water with it to use a Salt, though I have. They make great pocketknives, and I carry them down in pocket, clip and all. Even a bigger one like the Pacific is hardly noticeable carried that way.

Jim

Hehehe. Actually I'm hoping to see this become kind of an ongoing thread where we can get together and read and share our stories and pics. I'm going to start posting my fishing/salt updates, stories, photos and general lies in here rather than starting a new thread all the time. I encourage others to do the same. Should make for an interesting ongoing story and photo thread!

Careful minimalist. You are going to end up owning a salt soon, then you'll realize you have to start fishing to justify your knife!! Next thing you know you'll be in here telling exaggerated fish stories with the rest of us! ;)

p.s. did I mention the big one that got away today! Lol, unfortunately it's actually true!

I don't see why it can't be an on going thread. I'm quite certain that if you keep updating it with pics and stories people will be coming in here to post.

Lol honestly, there's a strong possibility I will buy a salt and it will make me start fishing. I say that in all seriousness.

I don't see why it can't be an on going thread. I'm quite certain that if you keep updating it with pics and stories people will be coming in here to post.

Lol honestly, there's a strong possibility I will buy a salt and it will make me start fishing. I say that in all seriousness.

Lol. Yes, I know! I wasn't joking either. I've watched you getting into all of this the last month or two. You're screwed! You're one of us, so get over it and get on with it! :)

Here's my entry from back when I had a life outside of work a few years ago. This is an ulua I caught off of Hilo in my kayak. I used my Rock Salt to process it. I ended up selling the knife later at some point and still regret it to this day. Bring back the Rock Salt, please.

Attachments

• DSC06394.jpg
    DSC06394.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC06405.jpg
    DSC06405.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF0495.jpg
    DSCF0495.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 151
Mate that's a ripper of a GT to be catching off a kayak!

I am a proud H1 user - have a dragonfly and 2 pacific salts, one black on black and one yellow with satin blade.

Here is a GT I recently caught (from a center console boat!!) in Exmouth, Western Australia + a big Barracuda caught in Bali...

Attachments

• IMG-20130528-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20130528-WA0014.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00254.jpg
    DSC00254.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 131
Here's my entry from back when I had a life outside of work a few years ago. This is an ulua I caught off of Hilo in my kayak. I used my Rock Salt to process it. I ended up selling the knife later at some point and still regret it to this day. Bring back the Rock Salt, please.

Nice fish! Is that the meat? I've never eaten one of those big trevally, but the meat looks pretty white! Slow down and go fishing again man! Time goes by fast! What, u think you're going to be laying there at the end thinking "I shoulda worked more "? ;)

Last edited:
Mate that's a ripper of a GT to be catching off a kayak!

I am a proud H1 user - have a dragonfly and 2 pacific salts, one black on black and one yellow with satin blade.

Here is a GT I recently caught (from a center console boat!!) in Exmouth, Western Australia + a big Barracuda caught in Bali...

Oof! That cuda is a BEAST! I've spent a lot of time in Bali over the years, but I've always just surfed. Never even been fishing there, but I'm gonna change that next trip.

Haha - it was a big mama gringo.

If you look closely that's an 8 inch surface popper that she smashed on the surface - bit it in half apart from the fencing wire down the middle!

For me northing beats casting big surface lures for predators!

@TEFLON - yep they are quick! and they hit lures hard!!!!

Haha - it was a big mama gringo.

If you look closely that's an 8 inch surface popper that she smashed on the surface - bit it in half apart from the fencing wire down the middle!

For me northing beats casting big surface lures for predators!

@TEFLON - yep they are quick! and they hit lures hard!!!!

Agreed, there's nothing like fishing top water when they're hittin! BOOM!

BTW loving your photos gringo... keep em coming.

And let me know when youre in Bali... its a stones throw from here in Singapore.

BTW loving your photos gringo... keep em coming.

And let me know when youre in Bali... its a stones throw from here in Singapore.

Will do. I'm thinking to go for a couple of months next summer. I always love my trips there. I have some good friends and it almost has a "second home" feel.

I know I've shown these fish already in another thread, but I'm shameless. :eek:. These are my two best pulls off the kayak this year.

D6E993F4-FAD0-4BB7-B199-DCDC82E8FCFC-8391-00000B0D03EE1836_zpscaf72257.jpg

F1658CC7-62F5-4394-B617-EB080CD70148-9483-00000C877A07E2FD_zps71f1c352.jpg

Awesome... very, very impressive!

Im gonna drag out some more photos for this thread!

Sweet, looking forward to the shots. I'm going to encourage all the other salt owners out there to join in again! I know there is an overwhelming "fishing" theme that will likely continue (I hope, hehe) but ultimately the thread is about spydercos awesome salt knives! So share your experience everyone, whether its fish and ocean related or not!

Also, I think we all know that Mr. Glesser has a habit of actually paying attention to what dedicated users have to say on here, so this could be a place to give feedback on the salts too. I have a short list of things I'd like to see, but for the most part I think the salt lineup is pretty great just the way it is. If I was going to make ONE request it would be this. Sal, would you please make another run of the catcherman?? And as long as I'm wishing, i'll wish for em to have a detachable metal pocket clip!

Thanks in advance, ;)

Lance

Sailfish from Malaysia + freshwater snakehead here in Singapore... caught in a reservoir!

Attachments

• sail.jpg
    sail.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 117
  • snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 130
I hope this thread gets into a serious groove and keeps on going. I love hearing all these fishing stories. Great thread.

Back