SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

Its super simple but I don't use actual curry. Get yourself some Berbere spice. (Ethiopian spice...delicious) Its just coconut milk, berbere, salt and crushed up ritz crackers for some thickness (trust me on that...its the secret ingredient). You can add onion and tomato or whatever you like but its delicious even with just the coco, ritz and spice.

Last edited:
Used my Pac Salt fairly hard this weekend. Cut through a really thick root, dinged it on a rock, in the dirt, etc. Was blown away at how easily the sharpmaker put a stupid edge back on it. Really impressive. :thumbsup:

IMG_2071.JPG Recently bought a new Pacific Salt to replace the Salt I that I just sold. Wanted something bigger and decided to try the serrated edge as well. This will be used as my beach, kayaking, and boating knife. Today was its first outing with me at the beach but nothing to be cut yet. Unfortunately when I got home and washed it off, I realized that the tip of the blade seems slightly warped. Honestly don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back for a replacement so I'll just deal with it since it's not a EDC knife anyway. But I'm enjoying that it's bigger than the Salt I so far and looking forward to seeing how I like the serrated edge.

Last edited:
Recently bought a new Pacific Salt to replace the Salt I that I just sold. Wanted something bigger and decided to try the serrated edge as well. This will be used as my beach, kayaking, and boating knife. Today was its first outing with me at the beach but nothing to be cut yet. Unfortunately when I got home and washed it off, I realized that the tip of the blade seems slightly warped. Honestly don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back for a replacement so I'll just deal with it since it's not a EDC knife anyway. But I'm enjoying that it's bigger than the Salt I so far and looking forward to seeing how I like the serrated edge.

H1 is soft and easy to regrind.
I'd say make it shorter or bend it back/grind the warped portion off.

I've mutilated some of my Pacifics quita a bit after abusing the tip, they work perfectly today :thumbsup:

20170531_133313_zpsybxsmysb.jpg

Used my Tasman SE today for some yardwork. Started off with trimming up a hedge that I'd let overgrow since last fall. Some of the branches had gotten rather thick and the trimmer would've had problems with them. The serrated edge chewed through the heavier branches without any problems. I was very impressed with how effective it was, so much so that I continued to use it for the entire bush instead of transitioning to the trimmer. The tasman cut through everything I threw at it and actually smiled back(it's true, I saw it:)).
I then had to take out two large arborvitaes, which were about 15 ft. tall. I didn't use the tasman to cut them down (although that would've been really something. They were about 4-6 inches in diameter), but I did use it for limbing the lower area so that I could get the saw to the trunk. It was still gunked up from previous use, but this did not stop the tasman from performing. Once the two arborvitaes were down, the tasman was used to continue limbing the trunk so that it can be dried out for carving.
Once I was done, a simple run under some water with a light scrubbing and it was clean. The edge was still sharp and a couple of light passes on a stone brought it back to shaving hair.
All in all, I'm very impressed with the overall quality and performance of the tasman. I have several salt models(Tasman PE & SE, Pacific Salt PE & SE, Salt PE & SE, Rescue Salt SE, Dragonfly SE & PE, Ladybug Salt HB SE & the PE and SE USN versions, and Ark PE....what can I say? I have a problem!), but this is the first time that I have really put one of the H1 models to real world use. I've used some of the PE models for light utility/ food prep work, and they did the job. But the serrated hawkbill of the tasman raised it to another level.
If anybody is on the fence about H1, hawbills, or Salt models, please take my advice.
Get one, put it through its paces, and see for yourself.

John

Now I just need to get out and wet a line, use my Salts, and bring back some stories like 'gringos.:D

Landed a BIG Rooster today casting a Crystal Minnow on the outer reef. I had my Pacific Salt laying open in the gunnel and it almost got knocked overboard while I was dragging this pig over the side. Interestingly enough though, it's fish like this that are the exact reason I don't keep my knives tied to the boat with a lanyard. I have had my pliers (attached with lanyard) get wrapped around a big fish and slam me in the legs when the fish flops...so hard I've wondered if I broke a bone. Better to make an occasional donation to poseidon than have that happen with a sharp serrated Spyderco. With fixed blades, I do tie the sheath to the boat.

Here's the Rooster. My personal best. :)

Can anyone tell me the size of the spydie hole on the dragonfly2 salt? Is it also 14mm like the salt1 and PAC salt?

If you look closely you can see my yellow Pacific Salt in the gunnel, but mainly I just wanted to brag. Haha

4TldMx5.jpg[IMG]
almost bigger than the kayak. looks like its gonna capsize ya.:)

nice catch Sir.

If you look closely you can see my yellow Pacific Salt in the gunnel, but mainly I just wanted to brag. Haha

4TldMx5.jpg[IMG]
Is it safe to say you went back to rancho de gringo after that?

BTW I built my kayak cart today. It breaks down and fits in my bow storage. Maiden voyage of the new boat is Saturday :)

My Dragonfly Salt SE is always on me when I am working with tools of some kind. This past weekend I was building a deck and screwing down ceder boards. Missed the beam and the screw gets stuck as its only threaded halfway up. Used that thin fine tip to pry it out just enough then used that spydie hold as a collar to back it out the rest of the way. That same process also works great for drywall when you miss a wall stud.

Weekend before that used my Dragonfly to splice up the hard plastic shielding on my outdoor wiring for in ground driveway lights. Knife was filthy after playing in the dirt all day. A quick rinse and a few strops took this SERRATED blade right back to shaving sharp. Cant beat h1 IMO its by far my favorite steel.
nWXM3Lh.jpg

The boy caught a nice little rainbow tonight. Cleaned it up with the Chef. It was that one fish that hangs around the dock and won't take anyone's line.

Just saw this on Facebook. Couldn't really tell what knife he was using, but thought people in this thread might find it interesting.

Back