SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

I wasn't aware there was one yet. Time to get out from under the rock I guess. That sounds like a great knife. Let us know how you like it.

How would you compare those two steels and how would you compare those two knife designs for fishing?

Neither knife has seen real hard use and more than likely never will. I like H1 as it is easy to sharpen and will get hair popping but Lc200N is far superior IMO. It holds an edge much longer and gets just as sharp if not sharper. For my style of fishing the Native 5 is much better as it's smaller and lighter. The Pac Salt actually is a backup and just stays clipped to my PFD.

I wasn't aware there was one yet. Time to get out from under the rock I guess. That sounds like a great knife. Let us know how you like it.

RB-Rq35b8ic-sh8bR8E02sHkYpP4wujapnxA2Lqri3_BzkchI6LL61fOFwtwNv5tFYxWWkpYxxT-D5wP7U09gsAtHrdhU_GTQBkVfjksKIMTjAGTPHMJejYjr5y0D2YbF9_z5tkF4lc=w2400

Really enjoying it so far.

Awesome thread, guys. Love the pics. I carry a Salt 1 SE (Delica size) all the time while fishing, kayaking or on the river in the Hill Country. Rarely needs oil, just a fresh water rinse. Just got back from Maui where I carried my Black blade Pacific Salt 1 PE all over even while snorkeling. Used it to carve up some sashimi outside a grocery store in Wailea. Love these knives. Recently purchased a Salt 2 (Delica size) from a member and was wondering which deep carry clip will fit it?

0917191230.jpg

Turtle.jpg

Latest addition to the Spyderco Salt line.

The Spyderco Siren!
3X8ppOC.jpg
Hey Surfgringo, like the Jazzelica story I really dig your story with teh waterway and Siren. One question, any idea why we didn't go with the customary yellow instead of the black for the scales?

Hey Surfgringo, like the Jazzelica story I really dig your story with teh waterway and Siren. One question, any idea why we didn't go with the customary yellow instead of the black for the scales?
There was some discussion about colors. I hope to see some in the future but ultimately that’s up to Spyderco and will probably depend on how sales of this one go. Regarding yellow, most of the yellow g10 I’ve seen is a little bit pale and doesn’t have the pop of yellow frn. I would probably choose orange over yellow for high vis g10.

There was some discussion about colors. I hope to see some in the future but ultimately that’s up to Spyderco and will probably depend on how sales of this one go. Regarding yellow, most of the yellow g10 I’ve seen is a little bit pale and doesn’t have the pop of yellow frn. I would probably choose orange over yellow for high vis g10.
Yes orange would be awesome. Orange outside/ black inside.

I’m not one that needs a blade like this but to support this awesome story and to get them orange scales I’m in. Good stuff Gringo.

Surfingringo,

First, you knocked the Siren out of the ballpark. It's the knife I've been waiting for for years (hey, look, I got to use the word "for" twice in a row)! It's perfectly sized, shaped, textured, GREAT blade guard designed into the handle, "thin blue line" motif (I'm retired LE), and LC200N steel. I balked at the Waterway because in pictures it looks like the blade might be a little too long for what I'd use it for. I fish freshwater mostly, and my fish tend to be a wee bit smaller than those you catch. Any way you could post a size comparison picture between the Waterway and the Siren?

Second, I was going back through old threads and read where you gave the entire fish to the poor man and he was so grateful. The scenario isn't exactly the same, but the general feelings expressed remind me of the song "The Life" by Kenny Chesney. Give it a listen some time.

Last, I worry for you every time I see a picture of you sitting out in your kayak with tons of fish blood all over the place. Have you ever had an encounter with a shark while out fishing?

Again, congratulations on the Siren (and the Waterway)!

Keith

Back