SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

I've only had it a few hours and can already tell it is a home run.

GZtbwPph.jpg

Hey Craytab, that’s awesome! I’m really happy you like the design. Spyderco did a great job on the production too. I think it’s the smoothest backlock I’ve ever owned. It has zero play in any direction when locked up but once the lock bar is depressed mine freefalls every bit as smooth as a pm2.

Hey Craytab, that’s awesome! I’m really happy you like the design. Spyderco did a great job on the production too. I think it’s the smoothest backlock I’ve ever owned. It has zero play in any direction when locked up but once the lock bar is depressed mine freefalls every bit as smooth as a pm2.
I did notice that. I can't say I've ever had a back lock do that. Super impressive.

Surfingringo,

First, you knocked the Siren out of the ballpark. It's the knife I've been waiting for for years (hey, look, I got to use the word "for" twice in a row)! It's perfectly sized, shaped, textured, GREAT blade guard designed into the handle, "thin blue line" motif (I'm retired LE), and LC200N steel. I balked at the Waterway because in pictures it looks like the blade might be a little too long for what I'd use it for. I fish freshwater mostly, and my fish tend to be a wee bit smaller than those you catch. Any way you could post a size comparison picture between the Waterway and the Siren?

Second, I was going back through old threads and read where you gave the entire fish to the poor man and he was so grateful. The scenario isn't exactly the same, but the general feelings expressed remind me of the song "The Life" by Kenny Chesney. Give it a listen some time.

Last, I worry for you every time I see a picture of you sitting out in your kayak with tons of fish blood all over the place. Have you ever had an encounter with a shark while out fishing?

Again, congratulations on the Siren (and the Waterway)!

Keith
Thanks so much Keith! I love to hear that you are happy with your Siren!

I’m no saint but I’m happy to share my catch when I can. Times are really tough here right now and almost everyone has been displaced from their jobs. I am fishing everyday and sharing everything I catch.

I run across a hungry shark every now and then but it’s pretty rare. If they leave me alone then I leave them alone. They try to mess with my catch they get the backside of my hardwood gaff.

Any way you could post a size comparison picture between the Waterway and the Siren?
Hey Keith, mind if I oblige to the pic request?

1kW6E16h.jpg

eoldypXh.jpg

The size difference isn't huge but it is significant.

Some other quick thoughts, keeping in mind I've had this for less than 24 hrs. Like the waterway, the siren has a long handle to me (I have Medium-Large hands). Given the knife's purpose, this is to be expected. For me it helps with control in pinch type grips. The G-10 grip is cold steel level gripy. I love it. For those that don't just sand under the clip a bit. And as for the clip, I'm not a huge fan of wire clips but it works great as expected. I can feel it move when using the knife but this is not unique to the Siren. Some might find the spyder hole is blocked a bit. I don't have an issue but I could see a benefit from lowering the angle of the ramp leading to the hole. And as Lance mentioned above, this thing will drop shut when the lock is disengaged, like completely free swinging. I haven't noticed this with any other lock backs. It's really impressive. Just make sure to have your index finger snugged way up to catch the ricaso! Not sure how they did this yet (haven't had it apart and haven't seen any disassembly vids yet). You can see the gap between scales and blade. Lock up is rock solid, no movement.

Really really impressed. So light yet so strong with no flex in the G10. Great blade shape and decent length. Price is very competitive. And rust free? Asking for anything to be different or better would be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I hope to put together more extensive review once I get more use with it. Then again, I've been saying that about the waterway for over year now :(

More pics:
UePW2N9h.jpg

SpAJhDWh.jpg

cPvBOhfh.jpg

vl6jRSzh.jpg

My Siren arrived yesterday from KSF. I'm pretty hyped about it. Like craytab craytab stated above, there is no play/slop in the lockup AND it freely drops.

I'm impressed, nearly every lockback I've owned can wiggle. I can even get slight wiggle in my CS AK-47 w/ the triad lock (I really have to try though).

If the delay in release was due to Spyderco spending more time tweaking this lock then good on them. I'm sure w/ use it might develop some lockback wiggle/play, but for now it's solid.

It is also the EASIEST lockback to disengage. Takes almost no pressure. We're talking maybe half of what it takes to disengage an Endura/Delica.

Thanks for everyone's impressions, and the pictures are great. Compared to the Pacific Salt, I see than is a bigger knife than I thought. It looks really nice.

Thanks, Craytab! I'll have a Waterway sooner than later. I see it as a great boat knife.

My Siren doesn't drop free very easily, but I kind of like that with a blade that wants to slice as much as the Siren's does. The lock up on mine is very tight, with no blade play. It takes a decent amount of pressure to disengage the back lock on mine, at least as much as on my Delica and Salt 1.

I agree. It speaks to precision, and a lot of people like it, but I think i would prefer this knife not to free drop without a little nudge.

I agree. It speaks to precision, and a lot of people like it, but I think i would prefer this knife not to free drop without a little nudge.
I haven't tried but I'm guessing you can tighten the pivot up to keep it from dropping free. Also, control how much you release the lock bar. Just a coupe thoughts. I guess this is a damned if you do damned if you don't moment.

Field testing every day. Very pleased with the job Spyderco did with the design. I’ve had mine on the water every day and it is looking to be just as bullet proof as all of the salt knives. I’ve had it covered in salt and blood 6 hours a day for the last two weeks and have purposely put it away wet and dirty most days just to torture it and see if I could make it squeal. Not a so much as a peep! I finally washed the salt off last night and made breakfast with it this morning. Still looks and performs like it’s brand new. Gotta love what Spyderco does with their Salt knives!

hR1pMnE.jpg

Waterway or siren will be my next one. I do a lot of surfcasting from beaches plus a good amount of rock hopping on ledges. I wear a surf belt that holds my Boga grip, & pliers. I just carry a folder in my pocket. Deciding on a fixed sheath waterway for my belt or clip on siren. Endura 3 serrated in pocket has worked fine for years. Upgraded to some Salts for this season,better for wet-wading.
IMG-3206.jpg

Back