SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

I went fishing this past Sunday on my Whaler with three friend on mine.I used a Pacific salt to cut the bait.It's a big job and responsibility being the captain, deckhand, and having every ones safety in my hands in the open ocean.I left my house at 4:30 am and did not finish cleaning the boat and gear until 8:00 pm.I filleted ever ones fish and it was a fantastic trip.Total fish count for 4 on board: 39 rock fish,1 nice Vermilion and 3 ling cods.We limited on rock fish early and turned to salmon.We had a few take downs on the salmon, but went home with none in the box.I was to tired to take pictures on shore.May bee I will invest in a go pro and shoot some video.Next week I will be going offshore for albacore tuna weather permitting of course....

salmonkiller

My goodness.. you have an aqua salt? Lucky you! Saw it on a Deadliest Catch re-run the other day.

The place that I scored the aqua still has some in stock. I can pm you the site if you're still in the market for one. They only have the fully serrated ones though, in black or yellow handle. I know of other americans ordering from this site and didn't have any issues having knives shipped south of the border.

The Aqua really is a nice blade. I haven't put it to much of a test yet, but I really like the weight and size of this knife and it comes with a nice hard plastic sheath. I debated really hard about ordering a black one to match my yellow so that I had a spare around...still might yet seen as these aren't being made anymore and are scarce.

Nice Cubera. I got one a bit bigger than that about 15 years ago out of Quepos. I'm going to jump on the bandwagon about resurecting some old Salts. I want a Schemp Rock Salt and the Aqua. I live in the Keys and am in the salt every week. My old 1st and 2nd gen endura never rusted, but my gen 4 sure does. I just ordered a Pacific Salt but would sure like an H1 fixed blade.

Friday fishing update. Went out early and there wasn't much bite at all. I've got a couple of grouper holes near today's spot that I can usually pull lunch out of even when the fish aren't biting. Wasn't spear exciting, but I'm eatin! I actually filleted them all...the pacific salt isn't much of a filet knife, and my regular filet knife was kind of big and awkward and flexes too much on such small fish. You know what would have been perfect?? A catcherman! Hint hint. :)

Oh yeah, the one that got away...I hooked a nice barracuda near the kayak and he came straight to me. Problem was he was barely hooked and still had LOTS of juice! I held him half way out of the water for six or eight seconds trying to grab him, but he was so berserk it was hopeless. So I held the rod in one hand and grabbed the gaff...I KNEW he was going to shake loose any second and sure enough, just before I could gaff him he gave one big shake and he was gone. I HATE losing fish at the boat and you always replay it and see what you should have done. Once it was over I wished I had just flopped him in the kayak and tried to control him, but man, it's always different in the moment when you got a hot, toothy fish at the boat! Hell, the way he was thrashing, if I had dropped him in the kayak, he would have immediately done a couple of triple gainers and with my luck his smiling face would have ended up right between my legs! Sometimes you just have to give them the "W". He earned it.

Lunch.
48B6B5F6-2243-4316-9BE9-64DBA3A9CA2C-9146-00000D4D2C686D89_zps7d4635a5.jpg

Friday fishing update. Went out early and there wasn't much bite at all. I've got a couple of grouper holes near today's spot that I can usually pull lunch out of even when the fish aren't biting. Wasn't spear exciting, but I'm eatin! I actually filleted them all...the pacific salt isn't much of a filet knife, and my regular filet knife was kind of big and awkward and flexes too much on such small fish. You know what would have been perfect?? A catcherman! Hint hint. :)

Oh yeah, the one that got away...I hooked a nice barracuda near the kayak and he came straight to me. Problem was he was barely hooked and still had LOTS of juice! I held him half way out of the water for six or eight seconds trying to grab him, but he was so berserk it was hopeless. So I held the rod in one hand and grabbed the gaff...I KNEW he was going to shake loose any second and sure enough, just before I could gaff him he gave one big shake and he was gone. I HATE losing fish at the boat and you always replay it and see what you should have done. Once it was over I wished I had just flopped him in the kayak and tried to control him, but man, it's always different in the moment when you got a hot, toothy fish at the boat! Hell, the way he was thrashing, if I had dropped him in the kayak, he would have immediately done a couple of triple gainers and with my luck his smiling face would have ended up right between my legs! Sometimes you just have to give them the "W". He earned it.

Lunch.

I love your life. lol Is that a random island I see? You ever spend some time there?

so about the salt knives, and sadly no fishing sotry lately...

I have quite a few apydercos, ( i noticed that typo and decided to leave it cuz its funny) ive been wanting to try out H1 for quite a while. about as long as its been out. ive been sharpening knives for ten years, and ive had good like with simply using my buffing wheel on my endura 4 in vg 10 but 4 times now in two years, use my dmt serrated sharpeners. ive wanted an h1 fully serrated knife like the atlantic, and the jumpmaster. but my co worker just sold me a pacific salt for 20 bucks used! still solid lock, opens smooth. it was dull but not damaged, so i restored a mirror factory looking edge on it, and ive very uch enjoyed carrying what ive dubbed the twins. ive cut some cardboard and stuff, but ill post my review of tonights upcoming cutting later

so about the salt knives, and sadly no fishing sotry lately...

I have quite a few apydercos, ( i noticed that typo and decided to leave it cuz its funny) ive been wanting to try out H1 for quite a while. about as long as its been out. ive been sharpening knives for ten years, and ive had good like with simply using my buffing wheel on my endura 4 in vg 10 but 4 times now in two years, use my dmt serrated sharpeners. ive wanted an h1 fully serrated knife like the atlantic, and the jumpmaster. but my co worker just sold me a pacific salt for 20 bucks used! still solid lock, opens smooth. it was dull but not damaged, so i restored a mirror factory looking edge on it, and ive very uch enjoyed carrying what ive dubbed the twins. ive cut some cardboard and stuff, but ill post my review of tonights upcoming cutting later

Wow, $20! Score!! Is it pe or se? The pe dulls pretty fast, but it takes a really sharp edge with almost now work. I think i like it because it makes me feel like a master sharpener! Go get that thing dirty and post your pics! ;)

Hey Minimalist, nah, that island is pretty much uninhabitable. Sheer cliffs and rock walls all the way around. There's tons of wild land and islands down here to explore though. I don't do it much, but I should. Watch where you step though, we've got some nasty nasty vipers down here! I've killed more than a few terciopelos roaming around the jungle near my house.

Wow, $20! Score!! Is it pe or se? The pe dulls pretty fast, but it takes a really sharp edge with almost now work. I think i like it because it makes me feel like a master sharpener! Go get that thing dirty and post your pics! ;)

Hey SG, its a fully serrated version. i buffed the edge to treetop like my endura and started there. i cut some sapling branches, and then the saplings themselves with little effort, i cleared a path through some weeds grass briars and brush. then it was getting dark, so my friend lit the way with his mag lite. i have a picture of it with a wolf spider on the blade, and one with it between the endura and H1 but cant post because i only have my phone, but i could email it to you if you want. it was cool. anyways, i then proceeded to buff the edge again and it treetoped and sliced phonebook paper, no edge damage. cool, so i went on to cardboard. sooo much cardboard. it wouldnt quite cut skin my feeling the edge, but it would still cut well. just not very fine. i then went and whittled some one a 2x6 after batoning it into smaller pieces with no blade breakage or noticeable further dulling. i buffed the edge with green chrome again and its now in my pocket scary sharp. oh, and i pried at that board some with the tip, no bending. not major slams into the wood or anything, just some light testing. only damage was the blade in front of the lock where it engages rolled ar little so it opens funny at the last second

Lunch.

1. You should have shanked him with your Salt!
2. I like the idea of an added item, for the guys that are fisherman......In fact I like the name you dubbed it.

What kind of fish are those?

1. You should have shanked him with your Salt!
2. I like the idea of an added item, for the guys that are fisherman......In fact I like the name you dubbed it.

What kind of fish are those?

Lol, I had the exact thought! I thought "ya know, I probably could have leaned out and just decapitated him with one swipe!" ;)

Added item?? The name I dubbed it?? You don't know do you?? Google spyderco catcherman!

They are small grouper.

Btw man, I checked out your rods online. They look awesome! Nice work!

Ok I'll "bite"

Went out recently on someone else's boat, I love that!, we were targeting grouper offshore, we were getting into bottom feeders heavy, but no grouper....then the grouper were on! I was given a cheapie rod..and you guessed it, I went to move the grouper off structure and snap! Rod snapped in 2:eek: so the "captain" handed me a backup rod/reel....since we were on the fish I was glad to hear he kept a backup...but he said to me...don't use that reel please switch to the reel you were using on the other pole :foot: I looked around me for a knife to cut/rig but the bait knife was in furious use by others...so I had to turn to this 398440546.657637.jpg yes it is a giant spyderhawk in h1 typically reserved for emergency line/net cutting but like today in the heat of the moment in a pinch it can serve other purpose rigging/bait/lunch etc. glad I had it handy cuz I wanted a line back in the water bad...

Awesome thread, Surfingringo!

I fish here on the space coast of Florida, out of a bay boat and a 16ft Hobie Adventure. I love that kayak! I got the pe Atlantic Salt for my dedicated fishing knife and it is the best.

Here's a few pics from a recent trip to the Keys. The first is my salt attacking a coconut that the kids found. Not a great idea on the first day of the trip with no sharpening tools with me. But, it worked fine and though the edge was wrecked it still cut through the jacks and barracudas we kept for shark bait later in the week.

I didn't get any pics of the knife later in the week, but here are a few shots of one of my favorite stops in the Keys, Robbie's. The knife was clipped in my pocket, if that counts. :)

We spent several mornings snorkeling the reefs, and my salt was clipped to my shorts each time. It's amazing what Spyderco has accomplished in creating a true corrosion proof knife.

I fish here on the space coast of Florida, out of a bay boat and a 16ft Hobie Adventure. I love that kayak! I got the pe Atlantic Salt for my dedicated fishing knife and it is the best.

Here's a few pics from a recent trip to the Keys. The first is my salt attacking a coconut that the kids found. Not a great idea on the first day of the trip with no sharpening tools with me. But, it worked fine and though the edge was wrecked it still cut through the jacks and barracudas we kept for shark bait later in the week.

I didn't get any pics of the knife later in the week, but here are a few shots of one of my favorite stops in the Keys, Robbie's. The knife was clipped in my pocket, if that counts. :)

We spent several mornings snorkeling the reefs, and my salt was clipped to my shorts each time. It's amazing what Spyderco has accomplished in creating a true corrosion proof knife.

Dude! That is an AWESOME sequence!! Does he sit and roll over too??!

Edit: actually I just realized that's not a sequence! That was going on for awhile...hence the red marks on the hand im guessing? :)

Okay. I've received a few messages asking about the source for the aqua salts. I've been emailing it to whoever has asked but I've since noticed the site mentioned on the forums on many occasions so I'm guessing they are a paid dealer member on here. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and if you search on the forums you will see others have as well.

www.warriorsandwonders.com

good luck. I'm not sure how many he has in stock but I hope everyone who wants one can manage to get one.

Dude! That is an AWESOME sequence!! Does he sit and roll over too??!

Edit: actually I just realized that's not a sequence! That was going on for awhile...hence the red marks on the hand im guessing? :)

You're right, not a sequence! Each of those are different fish. There are hundreds of Tarpon that hang out at the docks at Robbie's.

I consider it cheap entertainment. $1 to get on the dock just to watch, $3 for a bucket of dead menhaden to feed the tarpon. It's addictive, we go through lots of buckets! And the red marks you see there are bloody scrapes. No teeth, but the inside of their mouths are like cinder blocks.

Islamorada been there.My friend is a fishing guide there.I caught many tarpons, mahi,, tuna, and bonefish around those waters.Did you see the famous persons boat in the Bass Pro Shop?

Back