SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

Agree here. Love the G10 but I carry inside the waistband of my shorts rather than my pocket and the G10 can get a bit rough on my skin. Wouldn't it be nice to have a FRN version as well? And I know Lance isn't a fan of teh yellow but I like it. I'd take any color but black in an FRN version. That is in addition to the G10 version I just bought. :)

^^ this. In Yellow! Love the yellow FRN :D

You have nice taste. I have a Buell as well and love my SA toys. I’m sure you’ll love the siren.

I assume your Buell is blue? Good to see another Buell guy in the wild, not many of us out there.

Got the Siren today and really like it. Not usually a fan of back locks but I like this one! I have been opening and closing it using the back lock, much like I would with a compression lock by pressing the lock With my index finger on the open and on the close. No risk of a cut finger this way and completely one handed. Nice work Lance.

Bought a Native Salt on Amazon a few months ago and was always wary that I got a fake one because of the lock back which was too strong to flick the knife open.

Since I was going to the Dead Sea for the week end, I thought it was the perfect occasion to test the LC200N blade because of the salinity of the lake (342 g/kg says wikipedia). Put some of the water into a bottle and the knife into it for a full night, and there was no trace of rust the following day ! So I guess my knife is genuine.

Also, 1st post in this awesome forum. Had to be in a Spyderco thread of course !

Bought a Native Salt on Amazon a few months ago and was always wary that I got a fake one because of the lock back which was too strong to flick the knife open.

Since I was going to the Dead Sea for the week end, I thought it was the perfect occasion to test the LC200N blade because of the salinity of the lake (342 g/kg says wikipedia). Put some of the water into a bottle and the knife into it for a full night, and there was no trace of rust the following day ! So I guess my knife is genuine.

Also, 1st post in this awesome forum. Had to be in a Spyderco thread of course !
Great first post! Glad to hear about the LC00N! I find lots of lock backs difficult to flick open. I guess for me, it's not really what the lock was designed for.

Got my Siren yesterday. I like it more than the Pacific Salt 2. The handle is so comfy and the backlock is so snappy. I don't know what magic they put on it, but the Golden backlock is probably my most favorite Spyderco lock. Overall it's a great design and IMO the best Salt folder so far. I think this combination is a great platform. Spyderco should consider doing more G-10 handle lockback Salt models like this, maybe revisit the Manix 2 backlock, give it a more contoured G10, stainless hardware and LC200 blade.

The only con IMO is that the handle seems to be unnecessarily long for the blade(5.14" handle for 3.61" blade). I don't care much about blade-to-handle ratio usually, but i like efficient design. There's at least 0.5" of extra handle at the bottom(the "sharp point") that could be ground off without affecting the ergonomic but could make the overall carry profile much smaller with the benefit of having deeper carry. I'm considering a handle "chop" to round off the sharp point and get rid of the lanyard hole area.

108201169_317927116000768_5866309032216707106_n.jpg

How do you guys upload pics like the one above from insta9ves ? Do I have to upload the pic on a site like imgur first ? Sorry for the off topic question, but i'm still a newbie here.

How do you guys upload pics like the one above from insta9ves ? Do I have to upload the pic on a site like imgur first ? Sorry for the off topic question, but i'm still a newbie here.
Yes. That is how I do it anyway. The steps are a bit different depending if I am on my android phone or chromebook but the general idea is the same. Upload to imgur and find how to get the correct photo link. On the chromebook web interface I get options to post different types of code that can be used to embed the photo directly or on my phone I copy the link and use the little picture icon above which pops up a box to put my direct link in. Here is some more information on different ways to post pictures: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-i-post-pictures-from-a.1394713/

Dwmc3hFh.jpg

I assume your Buell is blue? Good to see another Buell guy in the wild, not many of us out there.

Got the Siren today and really like it. Not usually a fan of back locks but I like this one! I have been opening and closing it using the back lock, much like I would with a compression lock by pressing the lock With my index finger on the open and on the close. No risk of a cut finger this way and completely one handed. Nice work Lance.

Actually it’s the black and red 1125cr, a rare bird but I love it. The blue is from my old r6.

The smoothness with the action on this one still surprises me. You won’t find that smooth action on many back locks. I’m still carrying mine daily since I got it.

Got my Siren yesterday. I like it more than the Pacific Salt 2. The handle is so comfy and the backlock is so snappy. I don't know what magic they put on it, but the Golden backlock is probably my most favorite Spyderco lock. Overall it's a great design and IMO the best Salt folder so far. I think this combination is a great platform. Spyderco should consider doing more G-10 handle lockback Salt models like this, maybe revisit the Manix 2 backlock, give it a more contoured G10, stainless hardware and LC200 blade.

The only con IMO is that the handle seems to be unnecessarily long for the blade(5.14" handle for 3.61" blade). I don't care much about blade-to-handle ratio usually, but i like efficient design. There's at least 0.5" of extra handle at the bottom(the "sharp point") that could be ground off without affecting the ergonomic but could make the overall carry profile much smaller with the benefit of having deeper carry. I'm considering a handle "chop" to round off the sharp point and get rid of the lanyard hole area.

108201169_317927116000768_5866309032216707106_n.jpg
Part of the genius of this design, and the reason for the shape of the lanyard area, is for seating the end of the handle in your palm for an edge-out type of cut.

Actually it’s the black and red 1125cr, a rare bird but I love it. The blue is from my old r6.

The smoothness with the action on this one still surprises me. You won’t find that smooth action on many back locks. I’m still carrying mine daily since I got it.

Haha, same exact bike that I ride! I bought it new in Oct. 2009. I have red plastics and wheels too so I can change it up when I want.

I am still loving the Siren! Rides so nicely IWB of my board shorts.

KsOfpG0.jpg

Yes. That is how I do it anyway. The steps are a bit different depending if I am on my android phone or chromebook but the general idea is the same. Upload to imgur and find how to get the correct photo link. On the chromebook web interface I get options to post different types of code that can be used to embed the photo directly or on my phone I copy the link and use the little picture icon above which pops up a box to put my direct link in. Here is some more information on different ways to post pictures: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-i-post-pictures-from-a.1394713/

Thank you for your help craytab !

Test : My Native salt in the Dead Sea waters

2a1m9Lv

Wz9Av1G

Last edited:
Thank you for your help craytab !

Test : My Native salt in the Dead Sea waters

CGCavs3
Great photo!

But it is still not posting! I don't exactly know why. I'm on a chromebook. I left click (alt+click) your photo icon and open in a new tab. Posting that link doesn't work (I think that is what you have done). I left click that picture in the imgur link I just got and select open image in new tab and it opens just the image in a new tab with this url: https://i.imgur.com/zOabVxp.jpg. Posting that with the BFC image button above worked. Who knows! But here you go!

zOabVxp.jpg

The Native salt is on my short list of knives to get but something else always comes along!

Last edited:
I've been loving my Native 5 Salt LW since I got it in April. While I haven’t taken it into salt water, it has seen its fair share of corrosive agents.

Over the weekend of the fourth, it cut lots of limes for beverages and went with me into the lake. Cucumbers are in season in the garden, and this fantastic tool cuts several of them a day. A quick wipe and rinse prevents lime juice or cucumber guts from getting in my pocket.

LC200N has been fantastic so far. I haven’t had a need to sharpen it yet, just stropping gets it back to hair shaving sharp. It’ll be interesting to see how I do when I have to sharpen the blade with stones.

The deep carry pocket clip really improves carry in both the pocket and inside the waist band. I often like to wear Patagonia Baggies or similar shorts during the summer and inside the waistband carry method is something I wish I learned sooner (thank you surfingringo and this thread). Despite how lightweight this knife is, having it clipped to a pocket of the Baggies makes it twist and bounce around more than in normal shorts. Placing the weight closer to my hips makes carrying much nicer.

The Native 5 Lightweight is a perfect pattern to have a Salt version of. It is lightweight and super simple to take apart. Making it easy to thoroughly clean and tinker with.

This is my first Salt series knife and I love it. It ticks off things I find lacking in other folding knives I own. Corrosion resistance, which makes my worry a lot less when cutting anything questionable. The simple construction makes me very confident in taking apart and maintaining the Native Salt. I for sure don't have this same confidence with my axis lock and compression lock knives. This knife and a Victorinox Cadet make a very good case for the only folding knives I’ll ever need.

haRPTJm.jpg

1bE4Ew9.jpg

Totally agree with you Mickey. The salt has a simple yet effective construction and The handle feels so natural in the hand. Still, I find a little difficult to sharpen the very end of the bevel, and a sharpening choil would have been nice.

By the way, the dye job on your salt is amazing !

Hi Mister_Punchy,

Welcome to our forum.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal

Hi Sal

Greetings from South Africa. I spoke to Des and Lynda Horn a few days ago. they are well and send regards.
I was hoping to see you (as usual) at your booth at Blade this year but alas it was not to be.
Hopefully we will be able to fly internationally soon and we will see you for Blade 2021.

I also just wanted to say that during the lockdown (and ours has been severe) the only knives I am carrying and using are my three H1 salts.

I like to wash and disinfect everything every time I come home so the Salts are absolutely perfect. I slather them with alcohol based hand sanitiser and then wash them in the sink. No other knives would maintain a rust free status.
My only regret is not having more of them. Something I plan to remedy soon.

Best wishes and regards to you and all at Spyderco. Stay safe and see you next year.

Steven

DSC00881-vi.jpg

Back