SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

As a all round Boat knife would the Siren or Waterway be better suited?

Pretty much looking at replacing the 15yo rusty bait knife we currently use for everything that needs cutting.

Thoughts?

As a all round Boat knife would the Siren or Waterway be better suited?

Pretty much looking at replacing the 15yo rusty bait knife we currently use for everything that needs cutting.

Thoughts?
Both would work well but the waterway is way easier to clean.

If it’s going to live on the boat I would probably recommend the Waterway. I carry the Siren more because it works well for my boating needs but it’s also my everyday carry, but for a dedicated boat knife that stays on the water I’d go with the Waterway for the extra blade length and the ease of cleaning.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Yeah it will literally sit in the bait board holder full time.
Used for bait, dispatching snapper, flathead and whatever else we can get in Port Phillip Bay here in Melbourne.

Did look at the Fish Hunter too but that point would be more suited for in water activities than on water.

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

JR

50345756601_df3a76d812_n.jpg[IMG]

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Yeah it will literally sit in the bait board holder full time.
Used for bait, dispatching snapper, flathead and whatever else we can get in Port Phillip Bay here in Melbourne.

Did look at the Fish Hunter too but that point would be more suited for in water activities than on water.

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

JR

G’day mate. I’m just a “few” hours north of you on the sunny coast. ’ll throw a vote in for the waterway. I bought one over a year ago when I saw they were out. I bolted the sheath horizontal on the right side of my bait board and the knife has lived there or on the kayak ever since. I use it for all the cutting chores on the boat, dicing up tuna or pilchards for burly, bleeding fish and gutting them before putting them in the slurry etc. what I’ve found is it takes and holds a keen edge, it’s suffered some minor rolling when accidentally cutting hard against hooks but has never chipped, it’s easy to clean and maintain, the blade shape works well for any cutting your going to do on a boat, it’s stock is thick but being as fish flesh falls away from the cut it’s a non issue and the knife is just big enough to do double duty and knock a fish down that’s to big to fit in the kill tank. Last summer I picked up a few wahoo that were to big and needed their head and spine removed. Largest was 42 kg and the waterway was far from ideal but it certainly worked without making a mess of the fillets. I looked at the siren when it was released but it’s got nothing on the waterway for a boat knife.

Thanks for posting coiloil, I love hearing performance reviews from the water.

...I want a 42kg Wahoo!! :eek::D

I’ve broken down some giant Cubera, AJ’s and 100lb Tuna with mine and though it may not be my first choice for the big guys it handles em fine for a knife you can carry comfortably in your waistband.

Lance it’s a brilliant fishing knife. The blade shape just flat out works, steel is perfect for the application and the scales are grippy enough I don’t stress about losing it into the abyss. I feel the steel stock is a bit thick but like I said, on fish it doesn’t detract from the performance. One of the best parts of owning it is when my non knife deck hands ask me when it’s going to rust, I always get a giggle out of that question.

I want another couple wahoo like that too, he was as exciting as most marlin. I’ve heard many reels scream before but not like that, he dumped 800m on the first run at 30lbs of drag and for a few seconds I thought I was hooked onto a boat driving the opposite direction. Ah summers almost here and all the palegics will be back within the next month or two so I’ll have a few months to try before the water cools off again.

No, but imgur is cool too. I appreciate the pics either way, and I really do like that knife. I have a Pac Salt 1, all black, right now, and I definitely want to get a 2 in the not too distant future.

I’ve looked everywhere but I can’t find the bbcode when using the imgur app. I have to go to the website on my iPad and open the image to find it.

I’ve looked everywhere but I can’t find the bbcode when using the imgur app. I have to go to the website on my iPad and open the image to find it.
I didn't even know there was one. LOL
Select your image twice and copy

QPAUJPF.png

Back