SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

Story time:
The shower door gave me trouble so I had to take things off of it to fenagle it back in to place. I keep a Tasmin Salt II in there to cut off the top of bottles so I can get the last bits of soaps out. The knife was a mess. Black grime all over. I took it apart, used oxi-clean and a brush, then polished the blade a tad to get the spots off and voilà :
HlX4quH.png

Looks fairly new doesn't it? I've kept that in the shower for at least 3 years, maybe coming up on 4. I forget when I bought the thing. It's completely impervious to mildew and all the other nasty stuff that's in our water system.

Got my Pacific today. Very exited about it, no worries ever on what is going on in the pivot regarding corrosion.

Quickly checked the pivot action, needed tightening, and added my own loctite. Checked all the other screws, all needed a bit of tightening.

Finally checked for clip retention, pretty weak, so adjusted it to my liking.

Ready to rock. This knife gives me some good vibes right out of the box. I was worried about the green color. It looked kinda goofy in pictures. But in real life it is really nice(a lot more crisp than in most pictures, my phone pictures included).

iMTpgrwl.jpg

Compared to the regular Endura the bladeshape of the Pacific is slightly more utilitarian IMO. The hole is also aprox 25% bigger.

NdrbOccl.jpg

Last edited:
Got my Pacific today. Very exited about it, no worries ever on what is going on in the pivot regarding corrosion.

Quickly checked the pivot action, needed tightening, and added my own loctite. Checked all the other screws, all nedded a bit of tightening.

Finally checked for clip retention, pretty weak, so adjusted it to my liking.

Ready to rock. This knife gives me some good vibes right out of the box. I was worried about the green color. It looked kinda goofy in pictures. But in real life it is really nice(a lot more crisp than in most pictures, my phone pictures included).

iMTpgrwl.jpg

Compared to the regular Endura the bladeshape of the Pacific is slightly more utilitarian IMO.

NdrbOccl.jpg
LC200N keeps a much much nicer plain edge than H-1 too, great steel. You will be amazed, I'm still shocked to about it. H-1 is amazing in itself but really does need to be serrated.

Story time:
The shower door gave me trouble so I had to take things off of it to fenagle it back in to place. I keep a Tasmin Salt II in there to cut off the top of bottles so I can get the last bits of soaps out. The knife was a mess. Black grime all over. I took it apart, used oxi-clean and a brush, then polished the blade a tad to get the spots off and voilà :
HlX4quH.png

Looks fairly new doesn't it? I've kept that in the shower for at least 3 years, maybe coming up on 4. I forget when I bought the thing. It's completely impervious to mildew and all the other nasty stuff that's in our water system.

Some people might say you're pretty cheap to cut the bottle tops off but I say; that's a great way to save money to buy more knives. Nice looking knife by the way.

Some people might say you're pretty cheap to cut the bottle tops off but I say; that's a great way to save money to buy more knives. Nice looking knife by the way.
Thank you. In keeping it in the shower for that long there was absolutely zero affect on the knife presentation or cutting performance wise. Just cleaned of the mildew and calcium deposits and it looks just like that.

Great knife and pics, of course, but please tell me the very cute dog in the picture is the very cute puppy in your avatar.

Just got it and I'm not sure how I feel about the green but I do like this knife quite a bit.

iEat9kaKaYousos1AhEItn_Y76VO0Q5Bru5X2i3TOJqCt1Xg7puaJru2lkuZwUBm_IA8OvvL3kuDmIRMP8ME4fQuIE5xoqoHIHwY1we9Sesr3-4ZVVoQsDz5SK96_eWB0TeyM8RIs28=w2400
You know FRN dyes well with regular RIT clothes die. I have no idea why though. You can try that to change the color on the scales. With that bright color though you will probably have to dye it white first, then what you want.

You know FRN dyes well with regular RIT clothes die. I have no idea why though. You can try that to change the color on the scales. With that bright color though you will probably have to dye it white first, then what you want.
Spyderco FRN does take Rit Dye very well. A Little thread I started on the subject that I've linked here before: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-does-rit-dyed-spyderco-frn-hold-up.1562974/

U9EimDdh.jpg

Here's the thing with dyeing, you can never go lighter. So, there is no dyeing something that is darker, white for example. There might be options to bleach something white but that gets complicated and messy. Luckily, this PS2 Green is pretty light so you have the option to dye it something darker. Best bet would be a darker green or black/brown. Another thing with dyeing is that when you combine a base color with the color you want, you may not get the color you intend, another reason you should go with a darker version of the original color. There's a whole science to dyeing things but going from light to dark and staying within the basic color scheme seems to be pretty safe and easy to do.

I have a new green Pacific Salt inbound thanks to a fellow member here; looking forward to it - and I like the color, at least in pictures.

Separately, I've been cutting open sun screen containers to get the unobtainable product out for years; you'd be surprised how much in in there after squeezing produced nothing but air. Over the years, I've probably gotten a free knife or two out of this practice. ;)

I've dyed FRN before but two issues always come up. 1. The color isn't what I was after overall. 2. The dye seems to wear overtime. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but yellow does start to reappear.

Spyderco FRN does take Rit Dye very well. A Little thread I started on the subject that I've linked here before: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-does-rit-dyed-spyderco-frn-hold-up.1562974/

U9EimDdh.jpg

Here's the thing with dyeing, you can never go lighter. So, there is no dyeing something that is darker, white for example. There might be options to bleach something white but that gets complicated and messy. Luckily, this PS2 Green is pretty light so you have the option to dye it something darker. Best bet would be a darker green or black/brown. Another thing with dyeing is that when you combine a base color with the color you want, you may not get the color you intend, another reason you should go with a darker version of the original color. There's a whole science to dyeing things but going from light to dark and staying within the basic color scheme seems to be pretty safe and easy to do.

Honestly, I thought about buying an H1 PS2 in black and swapping the blades. As I will carry the plain edge far more so keeping a green knife in the vehicle doesn't bother me. Maybe I'll try the RIT.

A side note - I know that the Chef and the Kapara are both considered good food knives when it comes to EDC but damn the Pacific Salt 2 excels at it. It's almost like having a really durable folding paring knife. I happen to have mine on me today (although I'm carrying my new Cruwear PM2 I picked up off the exchange). The lengh and shape of the blade went through everything I needed it to today.

I've dyed FRN before but two issues always come up. 1. The color isn't what I was after overall. 2. The dye seems to wear overtime. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but yellow does start to reappear.

Honestly, I thought about buying an H1 PS2 in black and swapping the blades. As I will carry the plain edge far more so keeping a green knife in the vehicle doesn't bother me. Maybe I'll try the RIT.
A scale swap would be the best solution. Sell the Green H1 on the exchange for 75% or so. Not a bad cost to get exactly what you want. One of the good things about the green is that it is not yellow! Won't be as obvious if it gets scrapped enough to show through. Plus, if you dye it black, a quick dunk will get rid of any scrapes.

My original plan was to dye it a darker green like the ones I posted before. The more I carry and use the PS2 LC, the further I get away from dyeing the thing. The green is growing on me.

One thing I would change on these new salts is to make the clip thicker to aid in retention.

A scale swap would be the best solution. Sell the Green H1 on the exchange for 75% or so. Not a bad cost to get exactly what you want. One of the good things about the green is that it is not yellow! Won't be as obvious if it gets scrapped enough to show through. Plus, if you dye it black, a quick dunk will get rid of any scrapes.

My original plan was to dye it a darker green like the ones I posted before. The more I carry and use the PS2 LC, the further I get away from dyeing the thing. The green is growing on me.

One thing I would change on these new salts is to make the clip thicker to aid in retention.

Let me be clear - I will take this green over yellow everyday of the week and the more I look at the green the more I like it. I'm just into neutrals typically.

Back