SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

Nice! Awesome pics! Your kids look stoked!! Haha. How do those black perch taste? We only had whites where I used to fish, but they were probably the best eating lake fish.

P.S. that pm2 is a great knife isn't it? I probably would not own a salt knife if I fished in lakes instead of the ocean. Having said that, I realize how much I would be missing out on a great knife! So if you don't have any salts,do yourself a favor...;)

Last edited:
All fresh water fish are safe to eat I believe, unlike salt water fish as some can be poisonous. That being said, I could never develop a liking for bass, cats, muds, crappies, etc. Perch however, are pretty decent.

A few years ago when Spyderco brought back the awesome Spyderhawk model in H-1 blade steel for the Salt Series I was absolutely overjoyed. To me that was one of the smartest moves Spyderco ever made and I'm so sorry that it has been deleted from the main line up in the past year. But I've owned and still own many of the Spyderco Salt Series H-1 bladed folders and I've not been disappointed with any of them.

I do like the Harpy a little better than I do the Tasman H-1 model but not by much. I do like the Harpy's thicker blade and added ridgidity and I do hope that they will cave in a bring back the Harpy model with a G-10 handle. However the Tasman may have it over the Harpy in extremely harsh environments and it's been said that H-1 Spyderedges outperform just about any other blade steel.

One model I truly would like to see added to the H-1 Salt Series and I do believe it would be an outdoorsman's deluxe fixed blade. I'm speaking of the original FB05 Temperance 1 model. I still use my original VG-10 version of that knife almost daily for all kinds of cutting chores but now more mainly doing kitchen and food prep chores. But if they were to bring back the original TEMP 1 in H-1 steel and offer it up in plain edge and Spyderedge both I don't think they could keep them on the shelves. It's one of the very few outdoor type fixed blades that was offered up in full Spyderedge and I sure love the one I have in VG-10 steel. Those 2 Spyderco users truly are "grail" knives in my book.

Another item I would like to see them add to the H-1 Salt Series is to add a fixed blade fillet knife in H-1 and make it available in full plain edge and Spyderedge. Their folding fillet knife the Catcherman has truly been one of my food prep favorites for years now and I would just love to see what they could do with a fixed blade fillet knife. My Catcherman in full SE has been a dream blade for many food prep chores and I just know it would be great in that sector.

It really surprised me when they discovered that H-1 blade steel made the best Spyderedged blades in the entire line up. Spyderco's Salt Series is not only an outdoorsman's best choice for blades but they would truly do great to market them in survival and prepper magazines. Because I don't see how you could go wrong with H-1 blades in a survival scenerio.

In better fishing news, my daughter caught her 1st fish and my son cleaned up on sunfish, perch and got his 1st pickerel...

[/QUOTE]

Probably an even more fun to catch than a pickerel would be a Pike, which is what is pictured in the bottom picture.

"Probably an even more fun to catch than a pickerel would be a Pike, which is what is pictured in the bottom picture."

Hmm...Sure looks like a pickerel to me but I'm certainly no expert on fresh water fish.

Great pics, thanks for sharing. These are moments your kids will remember forever. We call the crappie, specks in the south. Slow troll minnows or jigs for them. Great eating. Is that a KOA in that sheath? If so, also very nice knife. A couple years back Sierra Trading Post had the Aqua Salts for around $60.00. Needless to say I have all I will need. Will be passing these on to my kids.

"Probably an even more fun to catch than a pickerel would be a Pike, which is what is pictured in the bottom picture."

Hmm...Sure looks like a pickerel to me but I'm certainly no expert on fresh water fish.

I stand corrected...sort of
It would seem that this is a regional naming issue. I found the following which would indicate walleye are often called pickerel interchangeably in my area:

The walleye or yellow pickerel or pickerel is a freshwater perciform fish native to most of Canada and to the northern United States. It is a North American close relative of the European pikeperch. The walleye is sometimes also called the yellow walleye to distinguish it from the blue walleye.

In some parts of its range, the walleye is also known as the colored pike, yellow pike or pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is related neither to the pikes nor to the pickerels (which are actually a species of pike called the chain pickerel), both of which are members of the family.

In Southern Ontario the name Yellow Pickerel has been around for a hundred years. People dropped the yellow and call all walleye pickerel.

The fish is a Walleye but the habit of calling them Pickerel is handed down from each generation to the next.

I think the walleye is something different again, though I think some people call em pickerel. Here's a link to check. http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/identification/pickerel_pike.htm Check the mark beneath the eye.

But whatever, I digress. I'm talking out of my ass now anyway, cuz I've never caught a pike in my life. ;)

Whatever the hell it is, I bet your son was pretty excited with it RPN! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I think the walleye is something different again, though I think some people call em pickerel. Here's a link to check. http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/identification/pickerel_pike.htm Check the mark beneath the eye.

But whatever, I digress. I'm talking out of my ass now anyway, cuz I've never caught a pike in my life. ;)

Whatever the hell it is, I bet your son was pretty excited with it RPN! :thumbup:

To me, pikes fight like a gars. Size considered ofcourse. Fresh water can have its moments, although nothing beats salt water fishing. Best fish fight ever to me was a blacktip shark. I've caught whitetips too, but they were smaller.

I LOVE THIS THREAD.

Brodester, your pics just made me REAAAAAAAALLY wanna go fishing. Heck, I'd even settle for Arizona canal fishing right about now lol. Anything!

I don't have a timeline on the ARK, but it will be in H1. :)

I got lucky on the Rock Salt. I think I paid $145, delivered.

John

Well, I have used the ladybug in H1 but not around a lot of water. Ive been in Kenya/Uganda over the past year and find myself camping out in a lot of humid climates. I have really depended on this knife and it has been one of the best I have used over here! In the rain forests I want a knife I dont have to constantly baby for rust and this little H1 salt has really performed. Thank you Spyderco!

Well, I have used the ladybug in H1 but not around a lot of water. Ive been in Kenya/Uganda over the past year and find myself camping out in a lot of humid climates. I have really depended on this knife and it has been one of the best I have used over here! In the rain forests I want a knife I dont have to constantly baby for rust and this little H1 salt has really performed. Thank you Spyderco!

Nice! I like hearing from folks who are putting their salts to great use without any "saltwater". Sounds like you made a good choice. Have you ever wished for anything bigger than the ladybug over there?

You would like walleye.

I do like walleye! :D

Never caught a decent sized one though.

@JD Spydo, I think a fillet knife in H1 would be interesting. Then again, they're usually flat ground and H1 PEs are hollow ground. H-1 is still mysterious to me.

Last edited:
Back