SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

I've got plenty of filet knives. I want that strange hybrid that spyderco calls the "catcherman" to come back! I think they could sell out a sprint run just to the people on this thread!! Hehe

fishing07006_zpsb171db20.jpg

fishing07010_zpsf3f9240e.jpg

fishing07009_zps63cce235.jpg

fishing07001_zpsf6e8049d.jpg

fishing07020_zpsf672cabf.jpg

Last edited:
I've got plenty of filet knives. I want that strange hybrid that spyderco calls the "catcherman" to come back! I think they could sell out a sprint run just to the people on this thread!! Hehe

If we ever get forum special, I'd like to vote for an orange centofante 3 in H1 :D

Jibbles,
Haha! I saw some big fish in the canal on Wasington and 44th! What part of Mesa are you in? Someone told me about a golf course run off that has some bass in it in East Mesa.

Last edited:
:DOh yeah, and I found a Pacific Salt in Black on black. I don't really need corrosion resistance in the desert, but why not have a knife in H1?:D

Oh ya, I also carry a delica and it really takes care of me! :)

Nice! I like hearing from folks who are putting their salts to great use without any "saltwater". Sounds like you made a good choice. Have you ever wished for anything bigger than the ladybug over there?

All fresh water fish are safe to eat I believe, unlike salt water fish as some can be poisonous. That being said, I could never develop a liking for bass, cats, muds, crappies, etc. Perch however, are pretty decent.

You like Crappie Don. Everybody likes Crappie! ;). You just know them as white perch. Down in Louisiana we call em sac a lait. It's all the same fish and its good eats!

Damn Don, that first picture is awesome! Doesn't even look real!

Thanks dude. That's Montana right there.

You like Crappie Don. Everybody likes Crappie! . You just know them as white perch. Down in Louisiana we call em sac a lait. It's all the same fish and its good eats!

That's pretty cool. I think crappies are ok, but they're usually too small (the ones I catch). Nothing sours my mood like looking into a bucket and seeing just a few small fish, because all I end up seeing is just a lot of work for a few morsels. That being said, crappies aren't that bad. Nevertheless, I seem to enjoy more meals from the ocean.

Didn't know you were from Louisiana. I hear Lionfish are getting eaten up as delicacies down there. I'd like to try them too, minus the poisonous spines :p.

Last edited:

That's pretty cool. I think they're ok, but in FL we call them bluegills. Their shapes are very similar, but different colors. Maybe they're cousins?

Didn't know you were from Louisiana. I hear Lionfish are getting eaten up as delicacies down there. I'd like to try them too, minus the poisonous spines :p.

Haha...I always thought bluegills were bream, But its been half a lifetime since Ive fished those lakes and ponds and my memory isn't to be trusted, so I'm gonna stop now before I end up confusing myself! :) I know everything (what we call different fish) changes from region to region, that's for sure.

I first thought that catcherman just looked ridiculous, but it's starting to grow on me. I think I could fillet with it ok, but I'm worried about the lateral force gradually wearing down the pivot.

Actually, I think it might work really well to filet smaller fish. When I'm cutting filets off small grouper and snapper, I am often wishing for something a bit shorter and more rigid. I hear what you're saying about the pivot though.

Full moon waning...the fishing is sometimes really good on this moon/tide setup. Ya never know, but I'm gonna find out! :). Loading the kayak and sharpening knives and hooks now. (Sharpmaker is great for dull hooks!) Ill give the report tomorrow...hopefully it's a good one.

That's pretty cool. I think crappies are ok, but they're usually too small (the ones I catch). Nothing sours my mood like looking into a bucket and seeing just a few small fish, because all I end up seeing is just a lot of work for a few morsels. That being said, crappies aren't that bad. Nevertheless, I seem to enjoy more meals from the ocean.

Don't know about Lionfish in Louisana but the are a terrible thing in the Keys. Non-native species taking over. We try and kill as many of these as we can. They are plentiful when diving by bridges/structure. There are "Lionfish Derby's" held to try and get rid of these things. People that release pythons, boa's, non-native species into the wild are sorry son-of-a-guns.

Don't know about Lionfish in Louisana but the are a terrible thing in the Keys. Non-native species taking over. We try and kill as many of these as we can. They are plentiful when diving by bridges/structure. There are "Lionfish Derby's" held to try and get rid of these things. People that release pythons, boa's, non-native species into the wild are sorry son-of-a-guns.

Yup.. I know all about it (I'm from Miami FL). They're quite the invasive species. The Louisiana thing is what I read recently regarding their population control solutions. They can be fished license free and they're trying to promote the meat into the food culture. I hope it goes well.

Snake-heads up here north are invasive as well. I bet they make a mean spicy stew.

Awesome photos man! I'm jealous.

Thanks for the nice words. I lived a few years in Montana. I'm not into fly fishing (as you can tell by the photos), but it's quite a beautiful place.

Full moon waning...the fishing is sometimes really good on this moon/tide setup. Ya never know, but I'm gonna find out! :). Loading the kayak and sharpening knives and hooks now. (Sharpmaker is great for dull hooks!) Ill give the report tomorrow...hopefully it's a good one.

I love fishing during full moon. Apparently the shrimp are drawn to the full moon and come out in droves at night. The fish naturally respond to that and feed more than normal. A smelly piece of squid on a hook does wonders. As for the tide, I usually fish off the bridge, but I bet fishing would be quite intense. Hope you get some good catchin.

Hey Surfgringo,

I love stories and pictures. Inspiring for sure. I was wondering why you don't have a Catcherman Salt? It looks like the ultimate knife for you!

Edit. I'm an idiot, totally missed the preceding conversation. Tapatalk be damned!

Last edited:
Back