Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

First off this isn't a thread to bash the knife, it's honestly one of my favourite knives in my entire collection including all my customs, I carry it more than anything because it's simply one of the best knives ever made in my opinion.

Today while putting up some brackets in my gym room, i needed to cut a plug down to size for a screw hole in some brickwork. After putting downward pressure on it to cut the tip off the plug the lock bar rocker slips out of the tang slot. Just wondering if anyone else can test theirs and let me know if its common. Knife has zero play, no lock wiggle, no side to side, never been taken apart, its always cleaned out so no lint or oil in mechanism. Im also very aware of the intricacies of lock mechanics im very ocd about them all.

Also as you can see in the video, i placed my hand away from the lock bar release so it's clearly not my hand disengaging the lock from squeezing. Seems as tho the part of the lock bar that engages the tang to make that seemless spine is at an angle that can slip out under medium to hard cutting pressure.
Please chime in if you can do the same to your siren. Cheers

Here's a snap I grabbed from a video.
Looks like there's not a lot of room for error on the backside of that lock, a rounded grind or wear could cause a slip?
There's a lot of space around that engagement area.o_O
kuV3j3X.jpg

Interesting, never seen that before but it sure makes me appreciate a stop pin on a lockback or the Tri-Ad lock.
Funny you say that, after this happened i pulled out the trusty Recon 1 from my other pocket and cut them all. Maybe I'll just use the Siren for lighter tasks and keep the Recon for anything that requires a bit of force like i have for years.

I'd send it in to Spyderco.
That's not acceptable.

Huh. Can't say I've ever seen that happen before. It might be worth sending in for Warranty and Repair to look at.

To be honest guys its not worth the hassle. Living in Australia it'd take months before this gets back to me. Was hoping any of you who also own sirens could put a decent amount of cutting force on an object and let me know if your lock bar forces it's self out also. Could be just the nature of the set up on the new cqi back locks.

Never saw this before. I just tried it myself (with my Siren) and it moved up just a hair. No where close to the one on the video, or close to disengaging the blade. Just a mm, if even that. And I was putting alot of pressure on it (trying to mimic the video).

Ive used mine for about 90 days and just cleaned it up last night, fwiw.

I duplicated your movement and hand placement on mine. I put a LOT of downward pressure on mine and I had no perceptible movement in my lockbar.

To be honest guys its not worth the hassle. Living in Australia it'd take months before this gets back to me. Was hoping any of you who also own sirens could put a decent amount of cutting force on an object and let me know if your lock bar forces it's self out also. Could be just the nature of the set up on the new cqi back locks.

Ah, I didn't catch that you lived in Australia.

The only issue I had with mine, was having it unlock due to the lock placement. I thought it was something I could adapt to, but unfortunately, the most comfortable position would also cause me to reliably unlock the knife during usage.

That is a factory defect, the angles look all wrong. Maybe just me but that knife would either go back or in the trash, I don't want a knife I can't trust to do what it is intended for. Sorry, hope it works out for you.

Had a different issue with my siren, any hard grip on the handle will cause the lockbar to come 1/2 unlock. I could grip the blade during hard cutting and hear the blade jiggle.

None of the golden backlocks i have does this. Seems to hear a few similar reports of lock coming loose during hard grip.

The lockbar of Siren needs redesigning.

Hi Mick,

Thanx for sharing. We'll need to get that back from you for research. Please contact customer service for locations. I'll forward your video to all involved, We'll send call tag.

sal

Could there be a washer missing (either side) allowing the blade to skew to one side under pressure thus allowing the blade lock to disengage.

Could there be a washer missing (either side) allowing the blade to skew to one side under pressure thus allowing the blade lock to disengage.

I think there would have to be quite a bit of slop for that to happen. I seem to remember the blade stock and lockbar both being pretty thick, so I don't know that there would be enough room for one to move to one side of the other.

I think there would have to be quite a bit of slop for that to happen. I seem to remember the blade stock and lockbar both being pretty thick, so I don't know that there would be enough room for one to move to one side of the other.

I think you're right but then again, it could be like those puzzle rings and puzzle horseshoes that you can pull and bend all day with all your strength and then all of a sudden you get them in just the right position and they suddenly separate.

Anyway, Sal will get the OP fixed up pretty quick.

Back