Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

We just built up the last fix and it passed all tests. we'll begin building them now. Best way to replace the knives for our customers that want a replacement (not all pieces "pop up") directly than to try to go through many dealers that we don't know.

Sorry for your disappointment.

sal
Thanks for keeping us in the loop sir.

I look forward to seeing this model back in action.

To say I am disappointed and frustrated is an understatement.

After waiting over a year for a fix or replacement, I mailed my defective Siren to Spyderco ($13.05 in postage and insurance) and about 3 weeks later received a letter advising the knife could not be repaired, would not be replaced as the model is not made anymore, and giving me 2 weeks to select a replacement or be barred forever from any warranty claim. I also asked to be reimbursed for the return postage and this seems to have been refused.

I am a little surprised they did not send me a replacement Siren, overall not a great experience after a year long wait for a replacement.

83CBE07D-A55E-48E4-BC45-B2ACF2C1BBD8.jpeg

To say I am disappointed and frustrated is an understatement.

After waiting over a year for a fix or replacement, I mailed my defective Siren to Spyderco ($13.05 in postage and insurance) and about 3 weeks later received a letter advising the knife could not be repaired, would not be replaced as the model is not made anymore, and giving me 2 weeks to select a replacement or be barred forever from any warranty claim. I also asked to be reimbursed for the return postage and this seems to have been refused.

I am a little surprised they did not send me a replacement Siren, overall not a great experience after a year long wait for a replacement.

View attachment 1720994
Did you just send it in without talking to them first? Perhaps warranty does not know about the ongoing issue with the Siren.

I do understand your frustration though. In the very least, they should know about the issue and not send you back such a letter.

I did not call before I sent it in, I just read this thread and when we were told to send the knife in I filled out a detailed Spyderco return form and sent it in with the knife.

One thing I don’t understand is the Siren is listed as a 275 dollar knife at retail on their own website (which is where I have to get my replacement knife from), so they are not even giving me enough retail credit to get the exact same knife if it was in stock or available.

This has been the worst defective product/bad warranty service experience I have had with a knife company. I hope there is some knife I can get with the credit and sell to recover most of the money I have spent on this saga. A real black eye to Spydercos reputation. Sadly, almost everything is “out of stock” so I assume I will have 2 weeks to buy a random knife they happen to still have In inventory - which likely means an unpopular model, etc. so I will have a hard time selling.

The warranty says:

✓ If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture, materials, or workmanship of your Spyderco product, Spyderco, Inc. will repair or exchange that product with the same or similar model or one of equal value. The value of the product will be based on the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, as published by Spyderco, Inc.

So you all can decide if they are honoring their warranty. I don’t think so, and telling me to act in 2 weeks or be forever barred from warranty service is likely illegal and likely a breach of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act as well as a California and Colorado consumer protections laws.

Last edited:
I did not call before I sent it in, I just read this thread and when we were told to send the knife in I filled out a detailed Spyderco return form and sent it in with the knife.

One thing I don’t understand is the Siren is listed as a 275 dollar knife at retail on their own website (which is where I have to get my replacement knife from), so they are not even giving me enough retail credit to get the exact same knife if it was in stock or available.

This has been the worst defective product/bad warranty service experience I have had with a knife company. I hope there is some knife I can get with the credit and sell to recover most of the money I have spent on this saga. A real black eye to Spydercos reputation. Sadly, almost everything is “out of stock” so I assume I will have 2 weeks to buy a random knife they happen to still have In inventory - which likely means an unpopular model, etc. so I will have a hard time selling.

The warranty says:

✓ If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture, materials, or workmanship of your Spyderco product, Spyderco, Inc. will repair or exchange that product with the same or similar model or one of equal value. The value of the product will be based on the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, as published by Spyderco, Inc.

So you all can decide if they are honoring their warranty. I don’t think so, and telling me to act in 2 weeks or be forever barred from warranty service is likely illegal and likely a breach of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act as well as a California and Colorado consumer protections laws.
I don't think anyone was told to send their's in. Like rycen rycen says, give them a call. I'll tag Sal Glesser Sal Glesser . I believe it will all be okay. Sounds like warranty may not know what to do and are just following procedure for an out of production knife, which the Siren is at this point (waiting on the majorly CQI-ed version).

While this process has been long and frustrating, I believe in the end Spyderco will take care of everyone.

Doesn't make it any better, but I believe the MSRP was $240 before the bump two weeks ago (to $275 as you point out). Seems like whoever did the form didn't take that into account.

Sending it in now was maybe not the best move if you wanted/expected a replacement. Sal has said in this thread they don't have replacements yet, so of course they can't give you a new one. It's not a great look for them to give you a deadline though when they've spent this long trying to fix it and leaving current owners without a deadline for replacements....

I thought post 178 was the green light to send them in for replacement with one that locked?
Hmm...I don't read it that way. Best to call in and actually talk to someone and do some explaining. I wouldn't worry over that letter at all without contacting someone, but do it well before that date. I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I believe that I said when we get it sorted, we will replace any knife that someone wants to replace. We are doing a run now.

sal

I believe that I said when we get it sorted, we will replace any knife that someone wants to replace. We are doing a run now.

sal
You gonna tell us when that run is complete so we can finally conclude this saga Sal?

Back