Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

With the fix being a few months out, and fishing season quickly approaching... I reached out to the Spyderco Warranty Department to see if I could just swap my defective Siren out for a Waterway. The Waterway is $5 cheaper than the Siren, so it seems like a fair trade. It's been almost a week(?) with no response though. :(

That's a good question. I see it is not just DLT though. Other big dealers list them as in stock too. Let's ask Jordan Jordan@DLT Jordan@DLT , He's generally really responsive on the forums here, which is nice.
Looks like DLT has the Siren back in stock. Can we assume these are the updated version?

Yes these are brand new productions - Spyderco doesn't inform us of CQI changes, so we just have to take a look when the knives arrive, but I can't make either of the two examples I checked replicate the issue, so it looks like they have fixed it.

It seems strange that dealers are getting newly designed Siren’s but customers that have been waiting a year or more are being told replacement knives are many months in the future?
I don't like the look either but you must take into account that Shot Show was last week and the whole Spydero crew was no doubt very busy. Pandemic, shot show, etc.... we must be understanding even if we think we have already been so too much. It is the times we live in.

Hi All,

Regular crew is back in Golden. Off site crew back to were they live. The first run of the Siren fix is finished and on the shelf. A few slipped out to dealers on back order while everyone was at SHOT, but the rest is being held for those that have pieces with "Pop-Up" that they want replaced, should send them in to Customer service for replacement.

Most of those with "Pop-Up" that are replaced, will probably be 2nd during the sale next year.

sal

Hi All,

Regular crew is back in Golden. Off site crew back to were they live. The first run of the Siren fix is finished and on the shelf. A few slipped out to dealers on back order while everyone was at SHOT, but the rest is being held for those that have pieces with "Pop-Up" that they want replaced, should send them in to Customer service for replacement.

Most of those with "Pop-Up" that are replaced, will probably be 2nd during the sale next year.

sal
Fantastic!

Hi All,

sal

Great to hear!

I sent the Warranty Repair Department a message about a week and a half or two weeks ago, asking to swap my Siren for a Waterway (this was before I knew a fix was so close)... And then called when I read on the Spyderco Forums that that was a better route to go. The person on the phone told me it's taking the Warranty Repair Department 6 - 8 weeks to just to reply to messages, and that I'd just have to wait it out. Does that sound correct?

Hi All,

sal
You da man Sal!

A replacement Siren arrived today, and it has no pop-up. I am able to put substantial cutting pressure on the tip and the blade remains tightly locked.

I really like this knife pattern, the light weight, the wire clip, the cool Lance logo, thin but very rigid.
I will carry this for a while to see how the LC200N is for everyday use. I plan to soak it in the Pacific ocean soon.

I appreciate Spyderco sending me a new knife that does not have any issues and has great fit and finish.

93528F31-F207-45F9-BF83-D3D1F5483B3D.jpeg0853B270-0827-4A9F-A37C-1699E2C89A1D.jpegA4117BE6-083A-49A7-BEA6-67C063E87CF1.jpeg85FD0157-7C05-44DE-B3A2-65DD4D36B854.jpeg

I have a new "updated" siren in the mail. Glad to hear the update fixes past observations.

…Many people use Spyderco knives in serious situations, so imagine a commercial fisherman that is unable to cut himself free of a hazard on deck because the lock fails - maybe he doesn’t slice himself, but he might drown in a tangled rope or net. Or a sea kayaker that uses his knife to cut free from a capsized boat? Or a scuba diver? The lock needs to function properly, without possibility of failure. This is a knife made from special steel for dangerous marine environments…
Hey there Gato, first of all, I‘m sorry for your bad experience and frustration...I feel ya. That said, I felt like it was important that I address a few of the ideas in this post. My every day life is pretty much everything you described in this post. I’ve also made a point of getting the Siren into the hands of some of the most extreme ocean anglers out there. (Go to Instagram or TikTok and check out Adam Fisk, Los Buzos Panama, Mark the Shark, Rokkit Kit or even my stuff) We are all out there every day on the water handling giant fish in tiny boats and things get sketchy on a VERY regular basis. There are a TON of dangers in those situations but the lock on the original Spyderco Sirens is just not one of them. I’ve lived all of the “hypotheticals“ you’re coming up with. I’ve beaten my knife like a rented mule for 2 years now and I assure you, the idea that the lock movement on the Siren is a safety issue is purely fantasy. That is my firm belief anyway based on everything that I have put mine through. 🤷‍♂️

That said, I was no more happy with the ”lock pop” than anyone else was. I notice mine sometimes when making the initial cut behind the gill or through the rib bones on large fish. I know by now that the lock isn’t going to fail in any way, but I would be lying if I said it didn’t bother me. Initially I hoped that it was something happening only in my copy but once I saw more reports popping up I pointed them out to Spyderco. I chose to stay mostly on the sidelines throughout these discussions and let Spyderco handle this. I have known Sal and Eric a long time now and knew they would handle this in the right way but I also knew that given the supply chain and production issues in the world today that it was going to take a minute. I’m stoked to see the knife finally coming back to market with an improved lock interface!

Again, I’m sorry that we had to go through this hiccup with the Siren but I’m really excited about the knife being back in production...and better than ever. I think it will serve a lot of folks well in various aquatic, corrosive and hard use scenarios!

I also think maybe a couple of sprint runs with exotic steels and fancy handles are in order. We’ve had the medicine, now how about a spoonfull of sugar? ;)

p.s. I read your later post and saw that you have received your new Siren. Congrats and enjoy!

Last edited:
I think the Siren design overall is really good, and they should probably do sprint runs in other steels and maybe just change the liner or cover colors.

How are people having their Siren's swapped out...?

I sent the Spyderco Warranty Repair Department a message through the Spyderco website asking to swap out my defective Siren for a Waterway three weeks ago (this was before I knew a Siren fix was so close), and haven't heard a peep back from them. When I called, I was told that the warranty department is taking six to eight weeks just to respond to emails....

Back