Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

I kept mine, I don't see enough of an issue here with mine. It barely moves it's almost hard to detect vs the OP's video, his is a far worse issue than mine. My only minor nit, is what some have noted that if you grip a certain way, you can accidentally partially depress the back lock, causing some movement. The user who added a Boye dent may be on to something.

I'm gonna stick with the Siren, it's too good a design overall to let it go, I know it's silly but I love the fact it has NO jimping as well as the blade and handle design. :) If Spyderco offers a solution I'll follow up at that time.

Hate to mention this, but my Siren did unlock recently. I was cutting some zip ties a few days ago, and when I looked down the blade was dangling. Another high cutting pressure near the tip situation, but other than that I don’t know what may have caused it.

I haven’t tried to replicate it since. First time this has ever happened to me with any knife. I’m not a user who has had an issue with my grip depressing the lock, but hard to say if that did or didn’t happen as I was just using the knife as I normally would.
I wonder if grasping the knife in a tight grip while cutting, if the blade and backlock could pop up but stay popped up due to continuing to squeeze the lock? That could result in an unlocked blade staying unlocked as you continue to use it, which WOULD be a safety hazard. Just a guess on how yours came disengaged.

I feel bad for all the folks who bought one or are STILL buying them without realizing there is an issue.

I wonder if grasping the knife in a tight grip while cutting, if the blade and backlock could pop up but stay popped up due to continuing to squeeze the lock? That could result in an unlocked blade staying unlocked as you continue to use it, which WOULD be a safety hazard. Just a guess on how yours came disengaged.
That is an excellent example of a possible scenario. It is really hard to exactly replicate actual use when testing a knife. If you accidentally do one thing one time that could possibly disengage the lock without notice? Impossible to test for but seems more likely in a knife that has it's lock disengage while in use, but is deemed "safe".

Reactions: mb>
Could there be some junk down in the lock and blade interface? Someone else mentioned the spring: that is also something worth investigating...
Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: 353
Hi Jux t,

I don't know where you come off with statements like, "they continue to sell" and "potentially dangerous". We haven't sold any sirens since we were alerted to the problem. Please check your "facts". Think twice, type once, lest you create a problem.

sal

Hi Jux t,

I don't know where you come off with statements like, "they continue to sell" and "potentially dangerous". We haven't sold any sirens since we were alerted to the problem. Please check your "facts". Think twice, type once, lest you create a problem.

sal

Yes, looks like they are out of stock everywhere.

Will everyone get their Siren replaced?

Hi Jux t,

sal
I stand by my statements. “They”, the Sirens, ARE still for sale online. A quick search found 3 distributors that have them in stock for sale.

Potentially dangerous- a user in this thread had their Siren come unlocked during use. It doesn’t take a wild imagination to see how a knife that unlocks while cutting is potentially hazardous.

They are defective knives at the very least, and have not been recalled. They were all allowed to sell to unsuspecting buyers. Unless a buyer reads this thread, or the one on Spyderco forums, they might not know they were buying a defective model.

I stand by my statements. “They”, the Sirens, ARE still for sale online. A quick search found 3 distributors that have them in stock for sale.

Potentially dangerous- a user in this thread had their Siren come unlocked during use. It doesn’t take a wild imagination to see how a knife that unlocks while cutting is potentially hazardous.

They are defective knives at the very least, and have not been recalled. They were all allowed to sell to unsuspecting buyers. Unless a buyer reads this thread, or the one on Spyderco forums, they might not know they were buying a defective model.
Looks like the stock is low but I found at 4-5 vendors selling them, plus the Box & Bay.

Thanx,

I'll look into it.

sal
You'll look into it? You basically called me a liar earlier and told me to think more and post less. I have shown how my statements that you took fault in were true. I like the knives your company makes and you usually seem to be a stand up guy, but why talk down to me when I'm stating facts and asking you why they have continued to sell despite being defective and potentially hazardous.

I haven't seen a recall yet, and all the people who bought one thus far paid handsomely for a defective knife.

If I may....

Sal and the folks at Spyderco know this is an issue.

They have spent a great deal of time and money trying to get the knife operating as it should. They have experienced a few setbacks, and have had to start all over again, including destroying parts that were intitally thought to be up to spec, but in the end, were not.

Sal has stated he will replace any knife that the customer is unhappy with.

There are bound to be old stock out in the wild. No new stock has been sent to dealers as far as I know.

Once the Siren is finished being dialed in, I would imagine a re-release.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jux T,

The person did not say the knife was defective. They said they didn't know. They said they may have unlocked it by accident. Which is possible. I didn't call you a liar, I said that you were making assumptions. Perhaps you are assuming some thing that isn't so? Maybe you know more?

I said I will look into it. We have no way of knowing who may or may not have inventory. That's why I said I would look into into it. You are implying that we are intentionally at fault for something? I am saying I don't know and will look into it. I don't know what you expect?

sal

What exactly is a "knife recall" and how would this be legally enforced by Spyderco (or any other entity)? I was not aware folding knives were like autos. Also, please provide an example when a knife company did this so we can better understand.

Last edited:
Hi Jux T,

The person did not say the knife was defective. They said they didn't know. They said they may have unlocked it by accident. Which is possible. I didn't call you a liar, I said that you were making assumptions. Perhaps you are assuming some thing that isn't so? Maybe you know more?

I said I will look into it. We have no way of knowing who may or may not have inventory. That's why I said I would look into into it. You are implying that we are intentionally at fault for something? I am saying I don't know and will look into it. I don't know what you expect?

sal
Safety issues aside (and it does stand to reason that there is potentially a safety issue):

Do you consider the existing Sirens to be defective? If so, why were they not recalled from the dealers? If not, why are you going through the trouble of redesigning them?

I've seen for myself that they continued to be sold by dealers even after it was acknowledged that the locks aren't working properly. My entire concern is that instead of recalling them, they were allowed to continue to sell and only people that read these forums or find out firsthand will even think about sending theirs back. Then there's the issue of them ending up on the 2nd hand market, and buyers then have to know how to differentiate the old ones from the new ones.

Back