Spyderco Slysz Bowie Question

Last I had heard from Sal was they released the much awaited Swayback and that's it.

the man is one of my favorite knife designers, Polish (represent!), unpronounceable name (to the Anglo-American tongue at least) -- what isn't to love?!

I am not really so motivated to purchase the sway, but the Techno 2 is making a comeback on my knives-to-fondle wish list (never seriously thought it would work for me, but alas I've come around)

I'd be ridiculously happy to get a chance at one of his bowies, especially with a reasonable price tag

not holding my breath tho

Last edited:
the man is one of my favorite knife designers, Polish (represent!), unpronounceable name (to the Anglo-American tongue at least) -- what isn't to love?!

I am not really so motivated to purchase the sway, but the Techno 2 is making a comeback on my knives-to-fondle wish list (never seriously thought it would work for me, but alas I've come around)

I'd be ridiculously happy to get a chance at one of his bowies, especially with a reasonable price tag

not holding my breath tho
I like my Swayback MUCH more than the Slysz Bowie's I've owned.

Lol be funny if they did. Piss off all the suckers paying upwards of $600 one.

More like $600+ (than upwards of $600) and anyone who spends that much for a Slysz Bowie has more $ than sense. So, no SB for me until the price collapses like the prices of tulips did in the 17th C.

I've got the $ but $500 is my limit for any knife and even that is too much. Have only bought a few out of my over 330 knives for between $400-500.

My reasoning is that I can buy a decent gun for that price and why buy a knife if I can buy a gun for the price?

Makes "sense" to me. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
If they do re-release it I would probably buy one. As it is, secondary prices are stupid and there's no way I would spring for one. I would buy a new one though, as long as the price is right. They are handsome knives!

I like my Swayback MUCH more than the Slysz Bowie's I've owned.

I wholeheartedly agree - I never understood the obsession with the bowie. Seeing members here pay over double the original price for another rather boring gray ti handled production knife blows my mind. Then again, others are paying over two hundo for the dessert bokers, so the forum obviously ain't a bastion of good sense.

I do not think spyderco will do it. It would discourage collecting of their knives. If a person has a knife that becomes valuable and is no longer made, the company suddenly making more will devalue their knife. That person is not likely to continue collecting that brands knife. Collectors expect their knives values will rise. I expect that Spyderco will let those with a Bowie be rewarded. I am sure the Bowie’s reputation also boosted sales on the Swayback.

I do not think spyderco will do it. It would discourage collecting of their knives. If a person has a knife that becomes valuable and is no longer made, the company suddenly making more will devalue their knife. That person is not likely to continue collecting that brands knife. Collectors expect their knives values will rise. I expect that Spyderco will let those with a Bowie be rewarded. I am sure the Bowie’s reputation also boosted sales on the Swayback.

Collectibles are NOT investments and should NOT be purchased in anticipation of any profit.

I collect a lot of "things" (including knives) and I can tell you that most collectors of things do NOT collect them because they expect to make $ on them and the general advice given to anyone who collects art (which I also collect) is to buy what you like and want to live w/on the walls and (again) NOT because of any hope/anticipation that it will rise in value.

This is different from buying an item that you have no emotional investment in or attachment to which you buy only to "flip" to make a profit on, which IMO is a lot of the reason why the of the Slysz Bowie has escalated recently and why you see so many knives from Spyderco's 2nds Sale being offered here and elsewhere.

So, I disagree. Anyone who bought a Slysz Bowie (or any other knife) because they truly liked it and wanted to add it to his/her collection would NOT be deterred from collecting more Spydercos (or any other knife) if the price of any particular knife dropped below his/her purchase price for that knife.

If that happened, it would just be a lesson to NOT buy what you know or should know is an overpriced item, which is the case w/the Slysz Bowie now.

Last edited:
Back