Spyderco Slysz Bowie Question

FE5990C0-EF56-4CD2-8DB1-B4A099A83CA9.jpeg

Pics are up on the vendor’s website.

The blue and machine satin don’t float my boat at $400, but I wish all the best to those that are going after one.

It's a good-looking knife!

No lockbar insert, though. I can sleep easy on Tuesday night. ;)

While I wish it was polished stonewash, I'm still going to try and buy one Wednesday morning. I have liked the other Slysz designs. I wouldn't pay the current market prices for original ones, but want one enough to pay KJ's price.

It's a good-looking knife!

No lockbar insert, though. I can sleep easy on Tuesday night. ;)

While I would have liked to have a insert ala Slysz Swayback, my CRK's have never needed one. Best to go with what you are most comfortable with.

It's a bit bigger than what I'd typically carry, but I do like ti/ti framelocks, and Slysz designs, and Spydercos. At $300 I'd definitely be in but I'm not so sure about $400.

It's overpriced in my opinion. Looks like the dealer is planning on capitalizing on the FOMO aspect of this knife.

I am torn. It's satin finish instead of the polished stonewash, the blue ano is not my favorite, especially with the black G10 backspacer, and there's no lockbar insert. Granted, the original design predates that being normal practice.

But it is a Slysz Bowie, and the steel was upgraded to M390.

It's overpriced in my opinion. Looks like the dealer is planning on capitalizing on the FOMO aspect of this knife.

It got discontinued in the first place since people thought it was over priced with a MSRP of $499.95 and I think a street price of $350 or so. People keep remembering the fire sale price of $300 when it was on closeout. With the Spyderco price increases over the years if it had stayed in production I would think it would sell for the $399.95. If it was a new model selling for $400 it would be over priced a bit. Look at the Swayback. At $275 it seems over priced but when people sell them for $220 after handling them it seems like the right price.

Funny at $275 and the mixed reviews on the Swayback I wasn't going to buy one, but I was happy to pay $220 here on the exchange knowing I could sell it for that if I hated it. Turns out I love it and expect I would have been happy at $275. It's part of the reason I'm willing to pay $400 tomorrow for the Bowie. I also expect if I don't like the Bowie I could get my money back selling it to those who waited too long but still want to try one.

Sorry for the dup post but this is what I've already said about it in the "2021: Delivered & Upcoming" thread:

Interesting. I'm sure it will sell out . . . just because . . . but I hate the color. So, it's a hard pass for me at any price. I sold a ZT0452 BLU that looked like that because I couldn't stand it.

Give me something like a ZT 0452 CFM390BLU or a ZT 0452 G10M390GLD or a Spydie Fluted Ti Millie or a Fluted CF Native 5 (the latter 2 w/M390 or equivalent steel) and I'd be all over it in an instant, as long as my cost stays under $500 which is my limit for any knife.

Last edited:
I saw Nick's video and thought he said things well. It was interesting that he heard there will should be more drops coming after this one.

Well the site crashed lol

And looks like they are gone. Wasn’t able to grab one, got up to the payment point and the site wouldn’t let me proceed.

I couldn't enter the date for my credit card. There was just a black box where that info was supposed to go which I clicked on and punched the numbers in but no luck. Tried a different browser but they sold out.

Sold out in less than 12min even with constant server not available issues and it took that long to get to the payment info in the cart. Not happy.... Guess I get to wait and see if there will be other drops maybe with someone with a website that can handle the load of a drop

I blame Nick Shabazz lol, that last minute review really drummed up the hype even for a $400 knife.

(I don’t really blame him, kinda)

1,100 is a decent size drop. I think they will show up after a period of time for sale with little markup. I may be wrong. I think a lot of it is the thrill of getting one and people move on to the next thing.

Back