Spyderco Smock

Does anybody have an idea of when the Smock will be ready. I am really anticipating I'ts arrival. The last time I was excited about a Spyderco was the Shaman and it was worth the wait.

I watched Kevin's video a couple of days ago and he was saying 4th quarter but probably later due to some changes he requested on the model.
It looks good and it seems like a well thought out knife.
Worth the wait.

This may be my first Spyderco (I know, I know -- I should at LEAST have a Delica!). I'm drawn to the design, I'm thinking that the button release compression lock will be fairly lefty friendly and I was VERY happy to hear (on the video) that one of the changes was to make the carry clip ambidextrous.

I want to try that button lock. I really don't like the compression lock. I hate that the younger design teams are putting compression locks on everything.

STOP, JUST STOP! COMPRESSION LOCK SUCKS!

Sal, please stop them. There is no place for tip up only and compression lock. Erik, stop.
/endrant

I want to try that button lock. I really don't like the compression lock. I hate that the younger design teams are putting compression locks on everything.

STOP, JUST STOP! COMPRESSION LOCK SUCKS!

Sal, please stop them. There is no place for tip up only and compression lock. Erik, stop.
/endrant
I'm gonna have to go on the other direction. I want to see the comp lock on even more models. It is my favorite lock, and really anything that isn't a frame or liner lock is good with me. You may not like it, but is strong, easy to use, easy to clean, and reliable. I won't fight over much, but I will fight over locks lol.

Last edited:
Well the straws that broke the camels backs, Shaman CL and Mini Native CL. Chinook 4 tip up only! Mind blown. Ugh! Why!

I watched Kevin's video a couple of days ago and he was saying 4th quarter but probably later due to some changes he requested on the model.
It looks good and it seems like a well thought out knife.
Worth the wait.

The major change they have made to the Smock has virtually ruined the model in my eyes. And no it isn’t changing to the hourglass clip; though I think the wire clip would look better on this model.

The major change was adding a second detent so that way the blade can no longer be swung out freely while holding down the button which would keep the compression lockbar off the side of the tang. I am not certain if we will still be able to swing it shut atleast but we definitely won’t be able to hold the button and shake the blade out like a normal button lock.

Last edited:
Well the straws that broke the camels backs, Shaman CL and Mini Native CL. Chinook 4 tip up only! Mind blown. Ugh! Why!
I am sure you are not alone. Seems the comp lock is a bit polarizing. Are you more of a backlock guy?

I am sure you are not alone. Seems the comp lock is a bit polarizing. Are you more of a backlock guy?
I'm more of an any lock but the Compression lock guy.
I've never had a lock fail on me. The entire argument for comp/lock holds no ground. Comp/lock pinching and clicking my fingers,that's unacceptable.

Comp/lock pinching and clicking my fingers,that's unacceptable.

I experienced comp lock pinching on the first run of the PM2. They CQI'd it and it's no longer an issue for me. I haven't had a problem with any other comp lock.
What models have you tried?

I love the compression lock because its the only lock type I can functionally use with both hands. (Medical condition, Right hand lacks finger strength to work ball bearing lock/most others)

BUT!! As a lefty its a little..ehh.. Its defiantly doable, but when you spend 3-4 days carrying a loner lock military or something besides a compression lock, Coming back to it can feel a little "off" until you learn again(left handed).

I have been thinking lately about modding a cheaper used pm2 or a knockoff pm2 with a button lock just to see how it would turn out.
All you'd have do is add a little piece of metal to the side of the comp lock, long enough to pass the g10 a little bit, or be flush with the g10 just enough to push it in with your thumb or finger. It would have no extra unnecessary pieces or pieces that could get lost, Would still be a very open easy to clean construction etc.

Haven't seen any pictures of it being done so I thought maybe I was the only one who thought about it.
I also think maybe the comp lock is so synonymous with spyderco it would be as if benchmade changed their axis lock, Or cold steel changes all their triad locks. The lock is a part of the name/brand. Its a big part of who they are and why people have come to the brand in the first place.

I love the comp lock but.. there's always room for improvement.
They should make test runs. OH I GOT IT! "Sprint Prototypes" with a limited warranty or heck, no warranty because we're willingly buying prototypes with a disclaimer.

Id buy.:thumbsup:

EDIT: I Just typed this whole thing without looking up the smock... Leaving it here so you can all laugh at me and repeatedly chant "DUH!! LOOK UP THE KNIFE BEFORE COMMENTING!"

Last edited:
I experienced comp lock pinching on the first run of the PM2. They CQI'd it and it's no longer an issue for me. I haven't had a problem with any other comp lock.
What models have you tried?
I wanted to condemn the PM2 comp/lock once. But I have many knives on the CL. Junior, S, Yojimbo. I have to go look but I'm sure theres much more. I don't know how to feel

The major change they have made to the Smock has virtually ruined the model in my eyes. And no it isn’t changing to the hourglass clip; though I think the wire clip would look better on this model.

The major change was adding a second detent so that way the blade can no longer be swung out freely while holding down the button which would keep the compression lockbar off the side of the tang. I am not certain if we will still be able to swing it shut atleast but we definitely won’t be able to hold the button and the blade out like a normal button lock.

I was playing with a production sample at the Gathering. When you press the button while closed, the blade won’t fall out by itself, but it will fall out with a light shake. It’s quite easy to unlock it and wrist flick it open - probably easier than if didn’t have the second decent.

The reps were saying by the end of the year, but that’s of course subject to change.

I was playing with a production sample at the Gathering. When you press the button while closed, the blade won’t fall out by itself, but it will fall out with a light shake. It’s quite easy to unlock it and wrist flick it open - probably easier than if didn’t have the second decent.

The reps were saying by the end of the year, but that’s of course subject to change.

Was the model you were playing with the updated model though? The changes were the pocket clip to hourglass clip. (Should have been wireclip damnit)

And this change to the detent system so holding the button doesn’t let the blade swing freely like a typical compression lock.

Was the model you were playing with the updated model though? The changes were the pocket clip to hourglass clip. (Should have been wireclip damnit)

And this change to the detent system so holding the button doesn’t let the blade swing freely like a typical compression lock.

Updated version with the ambi clip.

I didn't try swinging it free, but it had no problem opening and closing with a wrist flick when the button was pressed. Given that I typically tune my compression lock folders so that they have the slightest bit of resistance when unlocked, the Smock's approach worked perfectly for me.

What is the Gathering, is that the Amsterdam meet? Also did they have the Ikuchi there :D I'm dying for news on that one lol

Back