Spyderco soon releasing a CBN bench stone

From what I'm seeing it may take 10-12 knives before this stone 'breaks in'.
And it should be back to you before then. Thanks, DM

Last edited:
From what I'm seeing it may take 10-12 knives before this stone 'breaks in.
And it should be back to you before then. Thanks, DM

Sounds about right. I split my sharpening between an Edge Pro and freehand so it usually take a good six months or so before my new stones are broken in.

After I sharpen my s60v blade I noticed the middle of the stone is a touch smoother than the ends or sides.
Ok, the s60v blade had no nicks but more burrs than the s90v blade. It took me 20- 24 mins. to get the best edge off this 400 grit stone. Burr free, it will slice paper & over come wrinkles. It will clip just a few arm hairs. 3 finger sticky and a good utility edge. Ready for general work.
The burrs on these vanadium steels do not peel off readily. I have to grind them off. Unlike 420 steel on a SiC stone. A 1/4" scrape without pressure and they come off.
Still, this stone I will give high marks to. Worth the price and I think it will out last a diamond plate. I will do a s30v blade tomorrow and send it to HeavyHanded.
I didn't want to do a kitchen knife with this stone as I wanted to see how it could handle the vanadium steels. Plus, I'll let Heavy test the 800 grit side. DM

Last edited:
Ok the s30v blade. This blade had fewer burrs than the others. Still, I did it in the same manner as the others. A full bevel set and work off the burrs. On this steel the burrs came off much easier than the other 2 steels. Maybe less vanadium. Maybe I'm getting to know how the stone and grit work. No more than 15 mins. and it had a burr free new edge. The edge is the same as the others; will slice paper well and over come wrinkles. It will clip a few arm hairs and has 3 finger sticky. I like the way cbn grit works. These are the facts of my sharpening on it. Thank you for this opportunity. DM

I'm looking forward to HeavyHanded's evaluation of this cbn plate. And what he thinks of the edges coming off the 800 grit. DM

Ok, good. Between you and me there are a lot of icy roads. Plus, I mailed it just before a holiday. These 2 factors spell delays. No advantage for paying for 'Priority' mail. As long as it makes it,-- I'm glad. DM

I'm really liking what I'm reading. :)

Thanks for giving it a workout David! I have two new stones from Christmas that I have yet to try out that are in line before this bad boy, so I'm glad it's getting some use right now.

Can't wait to hear Heavy's thoughts.

A good question. Converting the grit numbers to micron would be 40 on the coarse and 12 on the fine. DM

CBN definitely is the choice for sharpening of steels, incl. HSS
but this is not a stone, but a PLATE
powder is just on the surface of a blank, which is normal for cutting tool, or file.
but not for STONE

it will work, but not long time
:(

Yes, it will wear but looks like it will wear at a slower rate than the plated diamond. DM

There are 3 bonds:
- electroplated: abrasive+nickel layer on metal blank - used for cutters, points, dies.
- metal: abrasive in copper+nickel, may be uniform block without support (blank)
- resin: abrasive in resin - may be may be uniform block but in 99% requires support (blank)

wear out rate depends also on abrasive, i.e. if it self-sharpens while polishing (Poltava, GE/DI diamonds), or just drops out of the bond, like cheap Ch... oriental diamond powder.

there's no reason to make electroplated sharpening stones, except you want to make customers happy seeing cheap stones seating tightly on their places. if at the same time these stones sharpen smth - customers are happy squared.

there's no reason to make electroplated sharpening stones, except you want to make customers happy seeing cheap stones seating tightly on their places. if at the same time these stones sharpen smth - customers are happy squared.
Not sure what you mean here.
care to elaborate?

You didn't mention vacuum brazing, which is far superior to other methods of plating, and there are very good reasons to use a plated bond. It is by far the most aggressive and the bond of choice if you are form grinding.

Please define "stone" for us. It sounds like your definition is different than what is normally accepted here.

The forum was real wonky and made it seem the message was never posted, hence the double post.

Last edited:
yes, I did not
as well as about ceramic, glass bonds...

in stone abrasive is distributed evenly through the volume
in blank abrasive is just on the surface

in processes blank may be called "stone"
but not in sales/marketing

yes, I did not
as well as about ceramic, glass bonds...

in stone abrasive is distributed evenly through the volume
in blank abrasive is just on the surface

in processed blank may be called "stone"
but not in sales and marketing

Back