Spyderco South Fork

Soulrack223

Gold Member
Is this knife coming out soon? This year? Here's a pic of it for those who don't know/remember. Designed by Phil Wilson. :) Thank you Mr Blonde for the picture.
spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_southfork.jpg

I don't want to sleep on this one and miss out.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php?p=656970&postcount=283

Last edited:
It's not in the 2011 Product update catalog, so I'm guessing it doesn't look good for this year.

Hi Soulrack,

The knife performs very well, as one would expect from Phil Wilson. We're just beginning the project now so we're still 6-8 months away. Production will look like the one in Wouter's picture, but we've added a small "trademark" round hole.

Phil's sheath was Boltaron with a fold-over. We've traditionally made our sheaths wider so one could push the sheath off with the thumb. I would be interested in your opinions on the sheath.

sal

Hi Soulrack,

The knife performs very well, as one would expect from Phil Wilson. We're just beginning the project now so we're still 6-8 months away. Production will look like the one in Wouter's picture, but we've added a small "trademark" round hole.

Phil's sheath was Boltaron with a fold-over. We've traditionally made our sheaths wider so one could push the sheath off with the thumb. I would be interested in your opinions on the sheath.

sal

Thank you for the ETA. I've got it on my "must get" list. I prefer leather sheaths but a Boltaron sheath would be fine--they work great. :thumbup:

Hi Soulrack,

sal

Hi Sal,

That's awesome news. :thumbup:

How big is the hole going to be?

You said small. :)

Don't know if I will be able to stand the wait on this one, lots of sleepless nights ahead I think.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I don't have the proto with me but I would guess about 4mm.

sal

Hi Sal,

Thanks for the info, really can't wait for this one, looks like it will be an excellent slicer and in S90V too, I am all over this one when it comes out. :D

Jim

A leather sheath will still have to have a plastic insert or the tip of the knife too easily pierces the leather.

sal

Thanks all for the kind words on the South Fork. I feel honored to have one of my designs considered for collaboration with a company like Spyderco.
I name my knife designs after areas that I have hunted or fished. The South Fork is the name of drainage in Utah where I have hunted Elk and Mule Deer. The Bow River another knife design, is named after a Ranch I have hunted on for Antelope near Medicine Bow Wyoming.
On sheaths, the discussion of leather vs. synthetic has come up. Leather is traditional but has some drawbacks. Safety is a main concern already mentioned here by Sal. A very sharp knife can cut right through the side of a leather sheath if the knife is inserted a little off center. Bolatron, Kydex and the like solve this problem. In addition they can be washed out if you forget to clean the blade before inserting in the sheath. It happens--especially if you are working in bad weather or get distracted. Also if leather gets wet, depending on the environment, can take a long time to dry out. Even stainless steel in a wet sheath will eventually end up with some corrosion. I have gone 100% to Kydex on my custom knives. If carried, I like a horizontal carry with cross draw so when you sit down the handle does not jab you in the ribs. Phil

Phil,
Nice design. I wanted one as soon as I saw it on the Amsterdam show report. And you can't beat Spyderco for production quality and attention to detail. Kydex for me - it is a user and needs a sheath that requires little care (IMO).
Looking forward to getting one.

I really like the looks of that. What are the specs? Good camp and kitchen blade.:thumbup:

The final specific specs I think are still somewhat fluid and will leave that to Spyderco. The initial prototype has about a 5 inch blade and the handle is green G10. I have seen some examples that the proposed maker has done on other knives and they are very clean and precise. Yes, the knife is great for general camping, kitchen, back packing. The blade shape is my favorite for a hunting knife as well. Some prefer a drop pt or semi skinner for that but in actual use the trailing point is just fine. I especially like a sharp point. Ever try to work out a splinter with a semi skinner? Thanks for your comments.. Phil

Back