Spyderco Southard blade failure with pics

Thanx much for the emails alerting me to the thread. I don't often get outside of our own sub forum.

Hi Atakdog,

Sorry for your problem. We'd love to get the knife and analyze the break. We can send you a new one as soon as it gets here. We've not seen this problem and we have thousands of knives out there.

Spyderco
attn: sal or Eric glesser
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

Please let customer service know it's coming.

customerservice@spyderco.com

sal

Thanx much for the emails alerting me to the thread. I don't often get outside of our own sub forum.

Hi Atakdog,

Sorry for your problem. We'd love to get the knife and analyze the break. We can send you a new one as soon as it gets here. We've not seen this problem and we have thousands of knives out there.

Spyderco
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

sal

And there you go. :thumbup:

Looks like something went wrong during the manufacturing process of that particular blade and caused a fracture failure. It happens sometimes even in critical aircraft hardware. I'm sure it's not a design flaw and Spyderco will replace it.

Yes. I wonder if it's a defect when the steel was fabricated, some problem in the PM process? The knife needs to go to Spyderco for analysis. :thumbup:

Hi Atakdog,

Spyderco
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

sal

This is why Spyderco kicks ass......:thumbup:

Hi Atakdog,

Spyderco
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

sal

How many companies' CEOs would get on a board like this to help fix a problem??? Pretty awesome!

Hi Atakdog,

Spyderco
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403

sal

This is what amazing customer service looks like!!! :thumbup:

SaL for the win, again....One another note, Op did the knife show any problems before the break, like bladeplay or anything else or did it just break on you out of nowhere? Also you said the knife was 2 weeks old, did you buy it from a well known vendor , or somewhere else?? Either way I believe Spyderco will take care of you , I would include the original receipt or a copy of it when I returned it to Spyderco to let them know that the knife has only seen 2 weeks of use...

Wow, I have been considering a Southard for a while. I will definitely be purchasing one with that kind of customer service..Now to save up the pennies.

Wow, nice to hear from SAL! When it come sto checking up on problems Spyderco is always on top of it.

Last edited:
As usual, Sal is awesome.

I do hope this scares a few BF Southard owners, for selfish reasons. I'm looking to pick up another Southard or two, and if there's a sudden influx of them on the exchange at reduced prices that would be pretty convenient ;)

Seriously, though, as far as this knife failing, well my thought is that sometimes things just break. I've beat on my main Southard pretty hard and never had an issue. It's not like this has been a common issue with the knife in the field, or if it is it's been a really well kept secret at least.

I've heard about great customer service, but Sal & Spyderco is a cut above (woo-hoo....pun-INTENDED!)
Outstanding!

aaand this is why I'll probably never buy a non spyderco modern folding knife again. the company is just too damn awesome not to support.

Back