1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Southard blade failure with pics

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Atakdog, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Erphern

Erphern

Jan 3, 2014
    Beretta M9s have slide cracks and Glocks go "kaboom". ;)

2. four_shore

four_shore

Oct 21, 2010
    hopefully they investigate to prevent any future malfunctions..

3. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Thanx much for the emails alerting me to the thread. I don't often get outside of our own sub forum.

Hi Atakdog,

Sorry for your problem. We'd love to get the knife and analyze the break. We can send you a new one as soon as it gets here. We've not seen this problem and we have thousands of knives out there.

Spyderco
    attn: sal or Eric glesser
    820 Spyderco way
    Golden, CO 80403

Please let customer service know it's coming.

[email protected]

sal

4. And there you go. :thumbup:

5. xceptnl

xceptnl

Jan 30, 2008
    Less than 16 hours and a resolution to the speculation is achieved!

6. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes. I wonder if it's a defect when the steel was fabricated, some problem in the PM process? The knife needs to go to Spyderco for analysis. :thumbup:

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Feb 27, 2010
    This is why Spyderco kicks ass......:thumbup:

8. A-Ro

A-Ro

Dec 19, 2013
    How many companies' CEOs would get on a board like this to help fix a problem??? Pretty awesome!

9. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This is what amazing customer service looks like!!! :thumbup:

10. Syncharmony

Syncharmony

Oct 22, 2013
    Are there any other CEO's of major knife companies that regular hang around the boards like Sal does?

11. Allen R.

Allen R.

Nov 1, 2011
    SaL for the win, again....One another note, Op did the knife show any problems before the break, like bladeplay or anything else or did it just break on you out of nowhere? Also you said the knife was 2 weeks old, did you buy it from a well known vendor , or somewhere else?? Either way I believe Spyderco will take care of you , I would include the original receipt or a copy of it when I returned it to Spyderco to let them know that the knife has only seen 2 weeks of use...

12. darkdomino

darkdomino

Oct 23, 2011
    Sal really takes care of his customers!

13. BlackKnife96

BlackKnife96

Sep 28, 2012
    Wow, I have been considering a Southard for a while. I will definitely be purchasing one with that kind of customer service..Now to save up the pennies.

14. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Wow, nice to hear from SAL! When it come sto checking up on problems Spyderco is always on top of it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    I never get tired of seeing Sal take care of things. Dude is awesome.

16. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer

Apr 4, 2013
    Someone needs to send this thread to that last guy that was complaining about spyderco's warranty!

17. dishcore

dishcore

Aug 25, 2012
    Boomshakalaka

18. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious?

Dec 25, 2012
    As usual, Sal is awesome.

I do hope this scares a few BF Southard owners, for selfish reasons. I'm looking to pick up another Southard or two, and if there's a sudden influx of them on the exchange at reduced prices that would be pretty convenient ;)

Seriously, though, as far as this knife failing, well my thought is that sometimes things just break. I've beat on my main Southard pretty hard and never had an issue. It's not like this has been a common issue with the knife in the field, or if it is it's been a really well kept secret at least.

19. stog75

stog75

Feb 24, 2003
    I've heard about great customer service, but Sal & Spyderco is a cut above (woo-hoo....pun-INTENDED!)
    Outstanding!

20. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    aaand this is why I'll probably never buy a non spyderco modern folding knife again. the company is just too damn awesome not to support.