Spyderco Swayback (10 min to 10 weeks)

BD_01

Basic Member
UPS just dropped something off!

I wasn’t sure what to think about this knife before getting it, and I’m still undecided!

-Fit & finish is perfect.
-I love everything about the blade. The (hollow) grind, the swedge, the mirror stonewash, all awesome.
-Exceptionally smooth. Release the lockbar tension and it’s better than bearings.

-Deployment is more of a challenge than anticipated. I expected access to the spydiehole would be limited, but at the moment it’s a big detractor from the knife. Two of my most favorite knives (the Southard & Umnumzaan) needed some break in &/or technique to get deployment wired. Time will tell if the Swayback is the same.

-Ergonomics? I’m undecided at this point.
-Weight? It’s not heavy but it feels substantial. As such, the knife feels like it wants to be used and used hard. That’s neither good nor bad, but it is a thing.

-Lockup? About 60% which is fine with me so long as it doesn’t drift much. FWIW both my Southard and Spydiechef settled in quickly and haven’t budged since.

-Clip? I don’t dislike it as much as I anticipated. It could use a good acid etch or something to tone it down, however.

Summary: It’s a very well built high quality knife that feels up to serious use. But the deployment is going to have to improve for me to fall in love.

I plan on carrying and using it for the next few weeks. If I can’t figure out the deployment I’ll either open up the access cutout or it’ll go on the Exchange.

Last edited:
That looks like quite a large knife. For some reason, I imagined it having a 3” blade. I am afraid of the price. Spyderco prices have really gone up lately.

It’s a full sized knife for sure.
It certainly isn’t a bargain folder, but the fit & finish is impeccable and I’m still geeking out over how well the blade is executed.

Thanks for the pics. She looks awesome....my number one concern is the “sharp” corner by the lanyard hole. I know it’s there to maintain the aesthetics of that style but I am concerned about it digging into my palm. Do you find it to be in your way at all as you are holding or using it?

I agree with 4mer_FMF completely. The blade is magnificent. I have small hands so deployment is realtively easy done slowly and works great when thumb flicking the blade open. Will not Spydie drop or operate with gravity with the stock pivot setting.

I replaced the shiny clip with a black clip that I polished with a ScotchBrite pad to an acid etch look-a-like finish.

That corner near the lanyard hole could become a hot spot.

I really like the knife's look, size and cutting capabilities. I was willing to pay what I feel is a $ 50 premium ($273 shipped) over what I would think would be an exceptional value/price.

Mine will be a keeper.

Spydie Clip.jpg

Thanks for the pics. She looks awesome....my number one concern is the “sharp” corner by the lanyard hole. I know it’s there to maintain the aesthetics of that style but I am concerned about it digging into my palm. Do you find it to be in your way at all as you are holding or using it?

Once it’s in a grip, the corner doesn’t seem to bother me much, but it’s early and my impressions are still forming.

ETA: And I stupidly cut the pad of my thumb while touching up my Delica yesterday...so I’ll be using a flipper for the next day or two. ;)

I'm really loving this new Swayback, but the OP is totally correct, there is a definite learning curve associated with getting it open.

I've had it since Thursday and am finally getting it open smoothly and reliably. It seems very sensitive to how it's gripped, not liking any pressure on the lockbar. Now that I "have it", I like the knife even more.

Another thing I will mention is that the tip is ALMOST too close to poking out of the frame. I can get my fingertip to catch on it without a lot of effort, but under normal use it shouldn't be much of an issue.

It's much bigger than I thought, although I really like the comparison to the Kapara, which is a larger knife but feels very slim for its size because of the profile. I do like it, but I kind of wonder if Spyderco won't do a rapid CQI on it for some of these issues, like the tip being so close to the end of the frame when closed, and maybe chamfering the cutout for the opening hole to be a smidge larger or easier to hit.

I should add that I don't understand the option for left side clip mounting since there is no access to the thumb hole for a lefty.

Yeah. There is ZERO access for left hand deployment.

I also have to add that I am getting the hang of opening this sucker. As someone said above, it’s VERY sensitive to lockbar pressure. At the moment, it’s still somewhat challenging, but equally addicting.

UPS just dropped something off!

I wasn’t sure what to think about this knife before getting it, and I’m still undecided!

-Fit & finish is perfect.
-I love everything about the blade. The (hollow) grind, the swedge, the mirror stonewash, all awesome.
-Exceptionally smooth. Release the lockbar tension and it’s better than bearings.

-Deployment is more of a challenge than anticipated. I expected access to the spydiehole would be limited, but at the moment it’s a big detractor from the knife. Two of my most favorite knives (the Southard & Umnumzaan) needed some break in &/or technique to get deployment wired. Time will tell if the Swayback is the same.

-Ergonomics? I’m undecided at this point.
-Weight? It’s not heavy but it feels substantial. As such, the knife feels like it wants to be used and used hard. That’s neither good nor bad, but it is a thing.

-Lockup? About 60% which is fine with me so long as it doesn’t drift much. FWIW both my Southard and Spydiechef settled in quickly and haven’t budged since.

-Clip? I don’t dislike it as much as I anticipated. It could use a good acid etch or something to tone it down, however.

Summary: It’s a very well built high quality knife that feels up to serious use. But the deployment is going to have to improve for me to fall in love.

I plan on carrying and using it for the next few weeks. If I can’t figure out the deployment I’ll either open up the access cutout or it’ll go on the Exchange.

Any additional thoughts? This is a great thread man. Mine is coming and of course I'm driving myself nuts.

Well I got one. So we'll see.

.... Survey Says?? Haha what do you think?

anthonycastorena2014 anthonycastorena2014

It's become my EDC and I'm chagrined to admit that I have way too many to choose from in my collection. As I mentioned in the other thread, I just purchased a second example thru the Exchange. Not a fan of the esthetics of the clip, but it does the job just fine.....no nit-picks other than that very tiny one. Great materials & workmanship, excellent blade and an extremely smooth action have, for now, pushed some very fine knives out of the EDC position.

It all comes at a somewhat steep price (for a Spyderco) so I hope you are as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.

Last edited:

I still have to be methodical when I open the knife, but I’ve developed some technique for slow opening and flicking. I‘ve never had issues putting pressure on the lockbar, but I do with the Swayback.

It’s been my EDC for the last few days but, TBH, by the end of day-1, I was frustrated and my thumb was sore! I decided to put the knife away and try again after a day or two of rest (not the first time I’ve done this with a new knife).

The thing slices like a light saber and ATM I think it’ll be a keeper.

I do think it would be a better knife if the access cutout were a bit larger, especially towards the margin of the scale. Not everyone shares my opinion; maybe I just have fat fingers. ;)

It's become my EDC and I'm chagrined to admit that I have way too many to choose from in my collection. As I mentioned in the other thread, I just purchased a second example thru the Exchange. Not a fan of the esthetics of the clip, but it does the job just fine.....no nit-picks other than that very tiny one. Great materials & workmanship, excellent blade and an extremely smooth action have, for now, pushed some very fine knives out of the EDC position.

It all comes at a somewhat steep price (for a Spyderco) so I hope you are as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.

Thats great man! I can't wait. I traded for mine. It said it was going to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 days but it is right down the street. Will more than likely end up coming tomorrow. I'm actually glad to hear you got two. That's pretty encouraging!! Haha thanks for the thoughts!

I still have to be methodical when I open the knife, but I’ve developed some technique for slow opening and flicking. I‘ve never had issues putting pressure on the lockbar, but I do with the Swayback.

It’s been my EDC for the last few days but, TBH, by the end of day-1, I was frustrated and my thumb was sore! I decided to put the knife away and try again after a day or two of rest (not the first time I’ve done this with a new knife).

The thing slices like a light saber and ATM I think it’ll be a keeper.

I do think it would be a better knife if the access cutout were a bit larger, especially towards the margin of the scale. Not everyone shares my opinion; maybe I just have fat fingers. ;)

I have an 0630 that was a f****** nightmare when I got it. I pushed some on the Lockbar intentionally and opened it precisely 1.095million times and now it glides open effortlessly. I wear a medium glove. Everyone mentions the spider whole, and now I'm hearing a little about the lockbar pressure. Man I hope it comes tomorrow!!!!

Thanks for the info guys!! I'm pretty stoked!

So it came in today..... survey says??? It's bad ass. I love it!! Thanks for the info ahead of time. Great knife. You just can't explain how good looking it is or the dimensions in person. It is awesome. I can flick and slow roll it open without any issue (Medium glove). 9/10 as far as I see it. The only thing that could have made it better is the access to the spydie whole and the cutout, however I get why they made the whole its size cosmetically. Going to be a long honey moon phase gentlemen.

Back