Spyderco Techno First Impressions.

Im hesitant as well. I read elsewhere that this guy was disappointed with the small size. I kinda want to see one in person first i think before i order one.

I'm a bit perplexed by people who are disappointed with the size - did they not read the specs? Says 2.5" blade, 3.5" handle, and that's what it is. In terms of cutting edge length, you are giving away very little in comparison to most of the 3" spydercos - no more than 1/4" in comparison to a sage or delica. It also feels much more beefier and robust than any other small spyderco I've handled, including the salsa (haven't handled a leafstorm). Clearly what it doesn't have is as much handle length as most small spydercos. I don't mind that, but others may have issues. Most people will just about be able to get 4 fingers on it, but if you prefer not to have the 1st finger too close to the edge, then you are looking at a 3 or 3.5 finger grip. A well-constructed lanyard can also do wonders for the grip on a small knife.

... looking at a 3 or 3.5 finger grip. A well-constructed lanyard can also do wonders for the grip on a small knife.
Definitely agree with the lanyard statement. Makes smaller knives feel bigger :), plus it's your own touch of personality. A downside to the lanyard would be that it gets dirty (e.g. Skinning a deer, lanyard soaks up deer juices).

Could one of you guys be awesome and get some shots of this next to the Leafstorm?

Could one of you guys be awesome and get some shots of this next to the Leafstorm?

Not the best ... was in a hurry and quickly losing useable light. Overall, Leafstorm is just a hair longer longer when open and a tad more than a hair longer closed (actual specs are available in the catalog.)

LS-TechnoComp1.jpg

LS-TechnoComp2.jpg

LS-TechnoComp3.jpg

LS-TechnoComp4.jpg

LS-TechnoComp5.jpg

Obviously, the Techno is thicker with thicker blade stock. Because of their size, both benefit greatly from the addition of a small lanyard.

Thanks a lot. I like the Leafstorm but have always hated how thin the lockbar is; looks like this may be a winner for me.

Thanks a lot. I like the Leafstorm but have always hated how thin the lockbar is; looks like this may be a winner for me.

Compare the lock bar cut out (thin part)of the Techno to the LeafStorm.....they are almost identical. Thickness of the lock bar doesn't mean a thing, it's the thickness of the Ti at the relief cut that matters in terms of strength. Your 4 mil thick lock bars on knives like the ZT 550 don't matter at all when the relief cut is 1 mil thick. Your chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

I wasn't referring necessarily to the strength, but more so the way it feels in my hand. Now that I grabbed my Leafstorm it's the whole side being thin that I don't really like; I still enjoy the knife as a whole, but it takes it from an 8 to a 7 for me. The thickness of the scale on the Techno is what I'm looking forward to. I'd imagine that it gives it a more substantial feeling. On that same note, I don't really know why the blade has to be so thick?

Your 4 mil thick lock bars on knives like the ZT 550 don't matter at all when the relief cut is 1 mil thick.

It matters in that you can have a larger lock interface once the titanium has worn in.
It also matters in that once the lock wears to the non-lock side (which takes a while), you still have lots of material in the way of the tang. You might get up and down wiggle, but won't have the blade close on your hand.

Plus, how about aesthetics? If I like the look of a thicker bar, that matters as well.
A thinner lock side can also mean a handle which feels too thin...another thing which can matter.

It isn't always about strength.;)

I wasn't referring necessarily to the strength, but more so the way it feels in my hand. Now that I grabbed my Leafstorm it's the whole side being thin that I don't really like; I still enjoy the knife as a whole, but it takes it from an 8 to a 7 for me. The thickness of the scale on the Techno is what I'm looking forward to. I'd imagine that it gives it a more substantial feeling. On that same note, I don't really know why the blade has to be so thick?

I was a bit unsure of this myself, but the grind of the blade, coupled with its large width, means that it actually cuts quite well. I used my Techno this morning to cut a large box into smaller pieces for disposal, and was pleasantly surprised by how well it cut. I've been carrying mine for a couple of days, and I'm enjoying it so far. My previous EDC was a small Sebenza Insingo.

The Technk has the same thickness behind the edge as thr Paramilitary 2. So initiating a cut wont feel harder than a P2, assuming it is sharp. The grind is also quite lean on such a beefy blade. Overal, eyeballing the blsde geometry, it isn't too far off from the Para 2's geometry. Basically this means, unless you are cutting fruit up or a few other mediums. The Techno will perform great.

Not the best ... was in a hurry and quickly losing useable light. Overall, Leafstorm is just a hair longer longer when open and a tad more than a hair longer closed (actual specs are available in the catalog.)

LS-TechnoComp1.jpg

LS-TechnoComp2.jpg

LS-TechnoComp3.jpg

LS-TechnoComp4.jpg

LS-TechnoComp5.jpg

Obviously, the Techno is thicker with thicker blade stock. Because of their size, both benefit greatly from the addition of a small lanyard.

Well that clinches it. I've been stewing for a couple days now, as to how the Techno might size up next to a Leaf Storm.
I've got huge paws, but my Leaf Storm gets more carry time than anything else in the box. It's fine.

Your pictures really sell it, d.r.h.
The Techno is going to work, for me. Thanks much for the post.

Well that clinches it. I've been stewing for a couple days now, as to how the Techno might size up next to a Leaf Storm.
I've got huge paws, but my Leaf Storm gets more carry time than anything else in the box. It's fine.

My hands are rather large as well ... but the Techno works well for me (though the small lanyard helps with control, as well as pocket extraction). I really like the knife. If you are comfortable with the LS size ... I am sure you will as well.

And ... for "thegreatfulred": G10 is pretty much G10. Plenty sturdy and adds a nice contrast to the knife.

It matters in that you can have a larger lock interface once the titanium has worn in.
It also matters in that once the lock wears to the non-lock side (which takes a while), you still have lots of material in the way of the tang. You might get up and down wiggle, but won't have the blade close on your hand.

Plus, how about aesthetics? If I like the look of a thicker bar, that matters as well.
A thinner lock side can also mean a handle which feels too thin...another thing which can matter.

It isn't always about strength.;)

Well of course, all of that is true. Who was trying to dispute any of that? ;)

I got my hands on a Techno for an inspection today and I am very impressed! I love the stonewashed titanium handles because the knife will not look to worn if you keep it in your pocket with your keys. The lockup had a very impressive thunk and it was rock solid. I have owned some nice frame locks like Chris Reeve, Daryl Ralph, and Mike Obenauf, and the Techno is their equal. I may not buy one this month, but will get one before the year is over unless something bad happens. I love the fact that the knife is both heavy duty and small enough to use in an office setting.

I am going to find a way to get one this weekend. For a knife as nice as the Techno, I have no problem with reducing the size of my collection.:cool::thumbup:

I had my eye on the Techno since the time the pics from the Amsterdam show came out, figured I'd give myself a birthday present and ordered one.
Arrived in the mail yesterday...

I'm not disappointed.

For what it is, it's great!

Compact and yet very robust, feels good in hand, ergonomics are surprisingly good, reminds me of the Tim Wagner mouse with angles and more subtle rounding. Pretty versatile handle, comfortable reverse grip and normal grip 3-4 fingers (I can manage 4 in a hammer grip, it's like it has a shallow choil just before the edge starts). The versatility of the handle + blade shape (jimping, the slight dip before the tip) offers control options by varying your grip. Solid lockup, 0 blade play. The descriptor "LBK" (Little Big Knife) fits this knife, you know you are holding something substantial in your hand.

A lot of cutting edge in a compact package, good belly on the blade, however as other forum members have pointed out, the blade is thick, so it won't really make a good food prep knife! The Techno isn't a food prep knife or a fine slicer. Don't get this knife for what it isn't!

For what it is; an overbuilt "tough" LBK, with the factory edge angles and blade geometry, it's a well designed knife and I expect it will perform well.

Quality materials and Fit and Finish, Titanium + CTS XHP steel in a stone wash finish is very nice!

This is also my 1st Taiwanese Spyderco, the F&F is excellent, blade grind is very even, the Quality Control over is very good at least on par if not better then US or Seki manufactured Spydies. Considering what you get, the price point is very good.

Loving it!

Back