Spyderco Techno First Impressions.

Just ordered one.

Been waiting for this to come out since the images of the proto surfaced.

I'm not a fan of the blue back spacer.

Maybe I can get a custom back spacer made though.

That is a monster of a little blade. I've been looking for a knife with an XHP blade that I could actually afford. This looks like it will do very nicely. I placed an order for one this morning and can hardly wait to get my hands on it.

Just ordered one.

Been waiting for this to come out since the images of the proto surfaced.

I'm not a fan of the blue back spacer.

Maybe I can get a custom back spacer made though.

Just dye it.

I love the look, just wish is was about $100 cheaper.

LOL I'm sure everyone would love a titanium framelock with premium steel CTS XHP, made by a top notch manufacterer for $70 too. Time to come back down to earth bro.

I love this small beast, absolutely stunning fit and finish for a full production folder. Cant find anything I dont like about it and it has kicked out my Umnumzaan for the time being. Yep, its that good.

2012-08-02221332.jpg

Just got the shipping notification from CS for mine. Is it socially acceptable to call out of work and remain perched on top of my mailbox until it shows up?

Dude, that is totally acceptable! How about having all your "special" packages shipped to your work? I just love getting an email in the middle of the workday that says, "David, you have a package at the front desk." I do a happy dance in my office then run to the front desk and get my new toy.

OT: Your backlit keyboard... What is it? Are you a member on Deskthority.com or GeekHack.org? ... mechanical keyboard collector forums, my addiction before high end knives.

Back on topic: My Techno arrives tomorrow. :-D

8/28/2012: I've had the Techno for a couple of weeks now. I really like it a lot. It's small enough for pocket carry in the office but tough enough for any job I can think of. The blade is very sharp. My thumb should heal quickly and leave virtually no scar.

Last edited:
Mine just came in. All the reviews I've heard were dead on. Fit and finish is impeccable. No blade play, dead centered blade and fits super comfortably in hand. Definitely worth picking up if anyone's on the fence about it. This is my first Taichung knife and I must say, great work guys. I will be looking specifically for Taichung / Taiwan Spyderco's from here on out.

My Techno should arrive tomorrow! I am very excited and can't wait until this beauty arrives.

Man, everytime I see this blade I want it more and more!

I think it would be a near perfect edc for me.

Look what just arrived! I am very pleased with the quality, size and mini tank feel of the Techno. If you are on the fence about this one I would encourage you to get one today!

7746629266_b06dd86cc6_c.jpg

Paramilitary 2, Native 5, Techno, Dragonfly

Got my Techno on Tuesday. It's an awesome knife. I love the look of it - very different from any of my other Spydies. It feels great in the hand too. Extremely solid and comfortable. It's definitely heavy-ish for its size, but it's nothing crazy, and I really enjoy the weight. It inspires confidence. The ball detent is nice and strong, but the knife is still very flickable. And as everyone else has reported, F&F are perfect. For anyone like me who digs small knives, this is a homerun. Get it.

Mine just turned up in the mail.

Love it.

Fit and finish is spot on.

Still not keen on the blue back spacer.

What a great knife.

just ordered mine and super excited to get it in a couple of days. Was just wondering if anyone knew of anyone making custom backspacers for it. I would really love to get a GITD backspacer made.

The Technk has the same thickness behind the edge as thr Paramilitary 2. So initiating a cut wont feel harder than a P2, assuming it is sharp. The grind is also quite lean on such a beefy blade. Overal, eyeballing the blsde geometry, it isn't too far off from the Para 2's geometry. Basically this means, unless you are cutting fruit up or a few other mediums. The Techno will perform great.

If both the Para 2 and the Techno are true full flat grinds, the physics of angulation would say there is no possible way that a 4.5mm thick spine can be the same thickness behind the edge as a 3.5mm thick spine if the blades are the same depth (which they appear to be in the OP). If anything, the Techno looks to be less deep so I don't see how people can say that the blade is the same thickness behind the edge as the para2?

I'm not criticizing as I have a Techno en route but it's just not a logical observation unless the Techno is somewhat hollow ground.

Last edited:
If both the Para 2 and the Techno are true full flat grinds, the physics of angulation would say there is no possible way that a 4.5mm thick spine can be the same thickness behind the edge as a 3.5mm thick spine if the blades are the same depth (which they appear to be in the OP). If anything, the Techno looks to be less deep so I don't see how people can say that the blade is the same thickness behind the edge as the para2?

I'm not criticizing as I have a Techno en route but it's just not a logical observation unless the Techno is somewhat hollow ground.

The Techno could come down to the same thickness behind the edge using steeper angles on the grind. I never said the grinds were of the same geometry.

Physics aside, I've measured both my Para 2 and techno just beind the edge (where the primary grind meets edge bevel) and the Techno is about 3 thou thinner than the Para.

The Techno could come down to the same thickness behind the edge using steeper angles on the grind. I never said the grinds were of the same geometry.

It doesn't matter. An angle is an angle. If it starts at the top at 4.5mm and is ground symmetrically and perfectly flat on both sides, the angle can only be 1 set degree. It can't be any steeper or shallower without changing the blade depth. The only variable would be if the secondary bevel on the Para 2 is deeper and your are measuring at the start of the secondary bevel of both blades. Otherwise, it's impossible for the Techno to ever be as thin as the Para 2 measuring at the same distance from the cutting edge taking the secondary bevel out of the equation unless the blade depth of the Techno is greater (which it isn't).

Last edited:
Back