Spyderco Techno First Impressions.

Physics aside, I've measured both my Para 2 and techno just beind the edge (where the primary grind meets edge bevel) and the Techno is about 3 thou thinner than the Para.

Ahh...I can see where the difference is now. The secondary bevel is much deeper on the Para 2 than it is on the Techno. Looks like in those pictures as much as 1mm deeper. If that is the case, I can see how the Techno could be as thin at the start of the bevel as the Para. My bad.

EDC City Tank! Just two snaps of my Techno:

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0535.jpg

Brother! Those are the best pictures yet that I have viewed of the Techo. Amazing. And it's an awesome folder. I have not hit a knife wall yet...but the Techno created one for me. There isn't anything I can find that I want to buy currently. Fills that void. Welll...until the Southard comes out. :thumbup:

Just got mine yesterday. Pretty cool little piece of engineering. There are a couple things that bother me that I didn't think would. Maybe I am missing the mark on intended purpose.

Things I really like:
1) Frame lock is solid. This is my first Ti frame lock and I really like it
2) The action is super smooth. Feels very high quality
3) It's not as heavy as I was expecting
4) The stonewash is super cool. Love the look and the feel

Things I didn't think would bother me but do:

1) The blade stock is a little too thick. I like burl but on a blade this short it impedes some types of basic cutting performance. IE., Opening packages, cutting boxes
2) I like the drop point but with a blade this thick it doesn't seem sharp enough
3) The deployment cutout could be larger in my opinion, especially closer to the top - like a Sage 2
4) I think the blue G10 liner dilutes the visual refinement a little bit. Something about it doesn't hit the mark for me. I think a polished stainless liner (I know...heavy but) and a polished wire clip would have complimented the stonewash better.

Like I said, it's a cool little knife but I suspect I'll get a more light use out of my Sage 3. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Great shots Steel. Thanx much.

Kudos to everyone involved; Marcins created a great design, Pitre brought the knife to our attention, Carpenter got their XHP to us in time, our maker in Taichung met the design challenge very well with exceptional quality and the Spyderco crew made it happen.

sal

Result : My favorite Spyderco ever.
The Techno is now my #1 EDC knife.

Of course it is a tank. But also a great slicer and push cutter.
Low profile in pocket. Sheeple friendly. Easy to clean. Gorgeous.
Amazing steel. Thumb friendly.
The list goes on...
The Techno is IMHO the synthesis of all I need in an EDC.
And so far it has proven to be 100% reliable: from messy bloody kitchen duty to clean flying paper cuts...
The Techno rocks!

money-wise, i'm feeling a little generous this christmas. it turns out i don't need to sell two of my titanium militaries. so i took one out of consignment. the other, i offered to the store owner for a trade. available were a s35vn para2, a gayle bradley, sage 2 and a cute techno. i'm almost sure to choose the techno (unless the sage 2 handles better and matches the F&F.) i stand to loose maybe $35 on the deal but hopefully, it'll buy me a lot of goodwill with the guy. his is the only well-stocked spyderco store in manila that i know.

Result : My favorite Spyderco ever.
The Techno is now my #1 EDC knife.

Of course it is a tank. But also a great slicer and push cutter.
Low profile in pocket. Sheeple friendly. Easy to clean. Gorgeous.
Amazing steel. Thumb friendly.
The list goes on...
The Techno is IMHO the synthesis of all I need in an EDC.
And so far it has proven to be 100% reliable: from messy bloody kitchen duty to clean flying paper cuts...
The Techno rocks!
:thumbup:

I'll throw my photos into the mix, I love this little knife! It gets worked into my rotation on a regular basis, just because it's a real joy to use and look at!

Spyderco Techno by Stormblast2005, on Flickr

By the way, the little dark spots on the edge are just tiny fragments of wood, not chips or rolls. It was very sharp at the time I took these photos, so it bit right into the wood that I set it down on. In order to get chips or rolls in CTS-XHP, you'd have to do some very abusive stuff. It's one of the best steels I've had the pleasure of working with.

I second that great photos i have been on the fense way to long over this knife , i need to find one on here .

I'll throw my photos into the mix, I love this little knife! It gets worked into my rotation on a regular basis, just because it's a real joy to use and look at!

By the way, the little dark spots on the edge are just tiny fragments of wood, not chips or rolls. It was very sharp at the time I took these photos, so it bit right into the wood that I set it down on. In order to get chips or rolls in CTS-XHP, you'd have to do some very abusive stuff. It's one of the best steels I've had the pleasure of working with.

Great pics.

Just stumbled across this knife and I'm very impressed overall. I have a Gayle Bradley so I know the potential quality that's possible.

My only hesitation is the cutting performance with such a thick blade, and would appreciate hearing more in depth details on this. Anyone have both the GB and Techno to compare? Is the edge geometry enough to compensate for thickness?

The edge geometry does help, but it isn't the best slicer, that's for sure. It will still slice apples and that kind of thing, but it's more geared toward being a robust little pocket tank.

Anyway, to be honest, the cutting performance could be better, but it makes up for it in durability and good looks lol.

I carry the GB and Techno together quite often, they both work great. Yes the Techno is a bit thicker but still makes shallow cuts very well. I'll try and take some comparison photos tomorrow.

ARGH!!! Thanks Stig. I don't understand. Why design and build a knife with great materials, then put cutting/slicing low on the priority list. XHP seems a great steel that could perform superiorly thinner and with proper geometry - and still be a tank.
Please, am I missing something here? Lets agree not to pry or baton, why thick stock with superior steel?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Yep I agree with you 100%. There's going to be more and more knives coming with CTS XHP, I think the Domino is going to have it. You'll find the right knife for you. But I didn't let this stop me from buying and enjoying the Techno. I still love it, it just isn't the very best cutter. It's still a really nice knife to use though!

If the Brad Southards were still readily available, I'd tell you to get one of those instead. I carry it far more often than my Techno, just because it packs a ton of cutting edge into a small package. I still carry the Techno, but the Southard and my PM2 get most of the pocket time.

Last edited:
Back