Spyderco techno locking fail??????????

You have to wonder how many times he did that before the titanium deformed and it started to fail consistently. Also, you know, why...

I didn't realize people still did spine wacks as a method of "testing" lock strength. ugh.

unless a common use of your knife is flailing around slapping the spine into hard objects, but in that case you might want to get rid of the knife and just wear a bicycle helmet everywhere. You can't be too safe.

I only see it as a problem if you use you're knives to test hammers:p

I don't know what to think and I would like to see Spyderco's opinion. The RIL is supposed to be a "hard-duty locking mechanism" and the knife has a "vault-like construction," to use Spyderco's own descriptors. The locking mechanism seems to be failing a bit too easily in the video, but, perhaps, it may not be fully engaged or it may be defective. I still like the knife and will carry it, but would like to see more evidence corroborating or negating what is shown in the video.

I don't know what to think and I would like to see Spyderco's opinion. The RIL is supposed to be a "hard-duty locking mechanism" and the knife has a "vault-like construction," to use Spyderco's own descriptors. The locking mechanism seems to be failing a bit too easily in the video, but, perhaps, it may not be fully engaged or it may be defective. I still like the knife and will carry it, but would like to see more evidence corroborating or negating what is shown in the video.

The problem is the spine wack is a completely useless test, it does not test lock strength. It's like rolling your car off a cliff and then complaining that the airbags clearly weren't doing their job properly. The quick, snapping impact on the spine is something that will never happen, in hard use or otherwise. And if for some reason it did happen, you have more to worry about than why your lock disengaged, like maybe getting a belt in your mouth until your seizure stops....

Frame and liner locks are particularly susceptible to failing this "test" even if they really are tanks of locks and well designed.

1- We have no way to know how many times the person did this prior to filming. The video quality is poor, and that is being nice.
2- Simply put, the lock won't fail if you use your knife to actually cut with (sharpened side into the material), and not smash bugs on a desktop.
3- Spyderco has addressed this before, as have lots of other manufacturers. The consensus is that the pressure can deform the Ti enough to change the lock bar geometry enough to cause slippage.
4- I don't think the warranty covers purposeful abuse and intentional misuse. The way the person easily flicked the knife open would possibly indicate the pivot is not tight enough, and a loose knife like that will slip.

All things considered, I had a faulty lock-up on a brand new Techno.
It was so bad, that the blade could wiggle around like a saussage.

I just wish that I had patented the question mark after I had invented it, because I would have made a few bucks in royalties from the title of the original post...

I've just ordered a Spyderco TECHNO and am 100% confident that it will be a Wonderful non-flawed knife that I will enjoy for many years. :)

This knife is awesome this test it stupid the only time a spin would be wacked in use is batoning witch should only be done with a fixed blade. Also if u did baton WTF it's a 2" blade that's dumb!

Uhhh, dude! Yeah, you, in the video. YOU'RE USING THE WRONG SIDE!

And this is directed to the OP: Go ahead and buy the Techno, you won't regret it. I promise you won't, trust us :).

I dont no why we are paying any attention to this video,its just a way of disrespecting the manufacturer,designer,knife itself.I own a Techno and using it hard with no problems in any areas.It is well designed and usable edc blade.

With all due respect, OP, don't put too much stock into "lock fail" videos on youtube. You, as a member here, will learn infinitely more about knives and testing on this site as opposed to 99% (Ankerson being one of the 1%) of the knife test videos on youtube. Also, for your sake, stay away from any video by neptuneknives.

My opinion: anyone who wants to know how to use a folding knife should start with non-locking folders and work their way up. I have had knives with no locking mechanisms that do not fail under normal use (ie putting pressure on the cutting side) because the use falls within the intended purpose of the knife. For this reason I have no real need to carry a folder with any locking mechanism, and I imagine most people are in the same boat but simply don't realize it.

Those who question the locking mechanism on a knife should consider how the knife is meant to be used prior to determining if the lock is sufficient. Or better yet, simply use the knife to cut things so you can focus on what matters most, such as edge geometry, maintenance, and other properties actually related to the knife's function.

I'm sure as hell not gonna test that on my Techno thank you very much, I'm happy with its performance as is.

Back