Spyderco techno locking fail??????????

My Techno is my latest Spydie purchase & I have to say that the lock really is as solid as advertised. Add that to the incredible fit & finish and this little guy is a clear winner IMHO.

The video 'test' seems somewhat irrelevant when I compare it to the knife in my hand...

I'd heartily endorse all the previous recommendations to buy the Techno ;)

Ben

For 99% of the jobs the average person does with a folding knife, a lock isn't even needed. I always smile when I see these 'Spine whack' tests. If anybody ever catches me whacking the spine of my knife on the side of a table I hope they pick up a brick and whack me up side the head with it.

Well, I'm glad I saw this thread. Checked my Techno to see if it had any blade play and, well, it does ): Looks like I'm gonna send it in tomorrow to be checked out.

It doesn't take much pressure to move the blade up and down and also move the lock closer to opening.

And for those of you wondering, I did not spine whack it. Just tried to see if I could move the blade (with my fingers safely out of the way :p) and I could. Pity too, it just came back from the Warranty Department for a stripped screw. If only this thread had been a few weeks earlier, I could have gotten them both fixed.

A light spine whack isn't a big deal and is actually a fairly valid test. I think i saw a video somewhere that shows a light spin whack being performed at Spyderco before a knife is boxed up and sold. IIRC.
Of course light, medium and heavy are up for interpretation.

JD

For 99% of the jobs the average person does with a folding knife, a lock isn't even needed. I always smile when I see these 'Spine whack' tests. If anybody ever catches me whacking the spine of my knife on the side of a table I hope they pick up a brick and whack me up side the head with it.

I'd be hoored. :D

I don't know about you guys, but I like to use my knives for cutting. If you like to spine whack, get a fixed blade... My Techno is still locks up with zero blade play and zero lock travel from factory.

Either the knife had a defect or he caused a defect.
I wouldn't worry about getting a Techno. It's a great knife and mine was extremely solid.
If it was defected, every company lets a lemon slide by once in a while.

I would get the knife and enjoy it. You'll likely get a great knife that you'll love. So go for it.
Don't worry so much about it failing. It's not a common occurrence.
Good luck. =]

Back