spyderco warranty clarification

shinyedges

Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Does disassembly to clean your knife void the warranty? The warranty says it does not cover DAMAGE due to disassembly.. I've been reading through threads and I've seen quite a few posts of people stating the act of merely disassembling the knife voids the warranty. I carry and use my knives in a variety of conditions and purchase knives I can take apart to clean and maintain so this directly effects me and clarification would be appreciated.

Just to be clear I agree if you damage the knife during disassembly its not spydercos fault and should be repaired on the users dime. That said there are those of use who can take a knife apart without damaging the knife.

Spyderco Warranty
Spyderco knives are designed and built for use as cutting tools. Use of our knives for any purpose other than cutting is considered abuse. As with any tool Spyderco knives can wear out. They may also fail to perform if not used or cared for properly. If your knife has been put to hard use for a long period of time, it is possible that the useful life of the Spyderco product has been exceeded and Spyderco will be unable to perform any work upon the knife that will improve the condition thereof.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Spyderco warrants that all of our products are free from defects in material and workmanship.
Repairs to your knife performed by any source other than Spyderco Inc. unconditionally voids the knife’s warranty.
Spyderco’s warranty does not cover DAMAGE caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening.
If a knife fails to function as it was designed, we will examine its condition upon its return to Spyderco, identify why it failed and respond in an appropriate manner.
If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture/materials/workmanship, Spyderco will repair, or replace that product with the same model or one of equal value at its own expense.
If a problem with a returned knife is determined to be caused by something other than a defect in manufacture/materials/workmanship, Spyderco will inform you of whether the product can be repaired and the cost to you of having Spyderco implement such repair (see below). Upon agreement and payment we will perform the repair.
If Spyderco is unable to improve the condition of the knife, we will return it to you with the recommendation it be retired from use. All costs associated with shipment of the product(s) are the responsibility of the customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curiously enough this is very vague. I work in procurement/contracting and write up/manage multimillion dollar contracts and it must say, I concur with your interpretation of the wording. To me it's quite clear, the way the paragraph is worded implies that the warranty does not cover DAMAGE caused by improper disassembly/reassembly.

It does not explicitly state that proper disassembly/reassembly, without causing any damage, voids the warranty.

However I have contacted spyderco on the issue recently and here is the answer I got from them:

Please note that disassembling the knife voids the warranty and can change the lock up and blade action, so we do ask that you send it in prior to disassembling the knife for any warranty issues.

Maybe they are advising not to take the knife apart to avoid having people who don't know what they're doing damaging the knife.

It would be nice to see consistency here...does proper disassembly/reassembly without causing any damage void the warranty? If it does then it should be explicitly stated in the warranty information. As of now, it's not the case.

Either way, if you know what you're doing, odds are hey would never know that you took it apart and that if indeed there was a manufacturing defect they would fix it under warranty without asking too many questions.

As long as it's not obviously caused by improper disassembly/reassembly. But I highly doubt that anyone at spyderco will confirm this.

Last edited:
If disassembling the knife will void the warranty I think they should be up front about it, what bothers me is if I had disassembled my knife for a cleaning and put all back together exactly the way it should be and at some point have to use the warranty I could be denied for reasons not even stated in the warranty on the website. Also I think the warranty that comes in the box should also state clearly taking the knife apart voids the warranty. I'm wondering if the user is never to disassemble the knife does warranty cover cleaning?how about postage to and from? Just seems odd. Maybe someone can chime in from spyderco. I love my delica, spyderco makes awesome knives and I'm not a warranty abuser just a guy who uses his knives and maintains his equipment.
Curiously enough this is very vague. I work in procurement/contracting and write up/manage multimillion dollar contracts and it must say, I concur with your interpretation of the wording. To me it's quite clear, the way the paragraph is worded implies that the warranty does not cover DAMAGE caused by improper disassembly/reassembly.

It does not explicitly state that proper disassembly/reassembly, without causing any damage, voids the warranty.

However I have contacted spyderco on the issue recently and here is the answer I got from them:

Maybe they are advising not to take the knife apart to avoid having people who don't know what they're doing damaging the knife.

It would be nice to see consistency here...does proper disassembly/reassembly without causing any damage void the warranty? If it does then it should be explicitly stated in the warranty information. As of now, it's not the case.

Either way, if you know what you're doing, odds are hey would never know that you took it apart and that if indeed there was a manufacturing defect they would fix it under warranty without asking too many questions.

As long as it's not obviously caused by improper disassembly/reassembly. But I highly doubt that anyone at spyderco will confirm this.

If a knife has been disassembled how could they warranty workmanship?
(Spyderco warrants that all of our products are free from defects in material and workmanship.}

When you send a knife to spyderco they use the same torx screws to take the knife apart as anyone else.. if done properly how does it effect workmanship?

Also its says neglect voids the warranty, so after carrying the knife through places that allow foreign material to get into the nook and crannies not cleaning under scales could be neglect. Does the knife NEVER need to be cleaned under the handles or pivot? Why isn't that stated in the warranty? Not trying to argue just get to the bottom of this.
(Spyderco warrants that all of our products are free from defects in material and workmanship.}

Last edited by a moderator:

Note that I said manufacturing defects overall. Workmanship is far more than final assembly. Polishing, proper machining of parts, moulding, adjusting etc. all are within certain tolerances and all can be improperly done. And usually the tighter the tolerances are, the greater the effect of an improperly machined part will be felt.

By the way, higher end spyderco knives are made to good tolerances meaning that anyone who is somewhat mechanically inclined can take it apart and put it back together very close to, if not exactly, how it was when it left the factory.

As usarmy pointed out before though, like any moving mechanism exposed to elements (dirt, grit, particles from materials you cut with the knife) with precise components and tight tolerances, you will need to disassemble to clean it and lubricate it properly at one point or another.

If you think that simply rinsing in soapy water and throwing a few drops of oil around the pivot will do the trick for a lifetime of use, I'd propose that you're wrong.

There is no need to ever disassemble a spyderco knife. They are designed to be cleaned, lubed etc. w/o disassembly. Guns need to be disassembled for cleaning maintenance, spyderco knives and children do not :)

My families oldest spyderco folder is about 20 years old, been in a woman's cluttered, dusty, messy purse the whole time. Used about 2-3 times a week, gets run through the diswasher or scrubbed out with a brush every year or two. Never needed disassembly to clean or maintain. It does need to get sharpened regulary, particularly the tip, needs lube, certainly needs a good cleaning, but never disassembly.

Back in 2010, Kristi posted a thread which made it clear that, as general policy, disassembly voids Spyderco's warrant. She also said that, in practice, the decision on whether to charge for the repair of a knife which had been disassembled would be made on a case by case basis. Here's a link to the thread on the Spyderco Factory Forum. I suspect it was posted here as well but, for whatever reason, I can't seem to find it.

Let me preface this by saying I do not work for Spyderco, I have never worked for them, and I am not speaking on their behalf. However, to me at least, that would indicate that if the "issue" for which the knife was sent in could not possibly have been caused by disassembly then the warranty would be honored. What type of warranty issues are you concerned about? Any that I've ever had were the type of things almost anyone would notice before they ever cut anything with the knife, and certainly before they'd ever used it long enough to feel the need to take it apart for cleaning.

If spyderco knives never need to be taken apart why do they use torx screws also why is that not stated somewhere the box.. the website..I would think that a knife that never needed to be cared for under the handles would be put together in a manner that wasn't readily available to be disassembled, also i think they would have advertised the knife that NEVER needs to be opened to be cleaned as such.

As for posting a THREAD about disassembling a knife voids the warranty the average Joe has never heard of blade forums much less read through old threads, the average Joe might read the warranty in the box though which NEVER states the act of disassembly of the knife voids the warranty. The warranty info straight from there website NEVER states the act of properly taking the knife apart and putting it back together voids the warranty.

Brownshoe i understand you havent needed to remove your handles but we use our knives different and carry them through completely different enviorments how can you know what someone elses knife will endure? Im not worried about the knife breaking in any specific area as a customer of spyderco im confused on why there warranty written in ink differs from what people are telling me here at bladeforums.
Back in 2010, Kristi posted a thread which made it clear that, as general policy, disassembly voids Spyderco's warrant. She also said that, in practice, the decision on whether to charge for the repair of a knife which had been disassembled would be made on a case by case basis. Here's a link to the thread on the Spyderco Factory Forum. I suspect it was posted here as well but, for whatever reason, I can't seem to find it.

Let me preface this by saying I do not work for Spyderco, I have never worked for them, and I am not speaking on their behalf. However, to me at least, that would indicate that if the "issue" for which the knife was sent in could not possibly have been caused by disassembly then the warranty would be honored. What type of warranty issues are you concerned about? Any that I've ever had were the type of things almost anyone would notice before they ever cut anything with the knife, and certainly before they'd ever used it long enough to feel the need to take it apart for cleaning.

Thank you for the link rev, I read the entire thread and I must say it bothers me the warranty spyderco publishes differs from what there telling people.I don't understand why Sal doesn't make this explicitly clear on the warranty in the box and on there website.when I read a warranty that comes with my item what ever it may be I don't think there's clauses not written in my warranty that could void the warranty if that makes sense.

I agree
Note that I said manufacturing defects overall. Workmanship is far more than final assembly. Polishing, proper machining of parts, moulding, adjusting etc. all are within certain tolerances and all can be improperly done. And usually the tighter the tolerances are, the greater the effect of an improperly machined part will be felt.

By the way, higher end spyderco knives are made to good tolerances meaning that anyone who is somewhat mechanically inclined can take it apart and put it back together very close to, if not exactly, how it was when it left the factory.

As usarmy pointed out before though, like any moving mechanism exposed to elements (dirt, grit, particles from materials you cut with the knife) with precise components and tight tolerances, you will need to disassemble to clean it and lubricate it properly at one point or another.

If you think that simply rinsing in soapy water and throwing a few drops of oil around the pivot will do the trick for a lifetime of use, I'd propose that you're wrong.

Thank you for the link rev, I read the entire thread and I must say it bothers me the warranty spyderco publishes differs from what there telling people.I don't understand why Sal doesn't make this explicitly clear on the warranty in the box and on there website.when I read a warranty that comes with my item what ever it may be I don't think there's clauses not written in my warranty that could void the warranty if that makes sense.
When I read Spyderco's warranty, imho it's as clear as a new cleaned glass window.

I agree its crystal clear to me as well, it clearly states DAMAGE DUE TO DISASSEMBLY will void the warranty can't get any clearer
When I read Spyderco's warranty, imho it's as clear as a new cleaned glass window.

I agree that it should be made clear on the warranty that comes with the knife, and on the website.
The warranty reads as if its covered if no damage is done to the knife during disassembly, but they post that if they can tell its been taken apart at all the warranty is void. Thats two different things all together.
Hopefully they can change the warranty papers to reflect that if the knife is taken apart the warranty is void.

I don't have a problem with it as I don't take mine apart, but the warranty should be made clear on the paper that comes with the knife. Most don't frequent forums and won't know the warranty is void if taken apart even if you don't damage the knife while doing so.

I agree its crystal clear to me as well, it clearly states DAMAGE DUE TO DISASSEMBLY will void the warranty can't get any clearer

Yeah, but Spyderco has posted that the warranty is void even if there in no damage due to disassembly.
The warranty shoud read that the warranty is void if the knife is taken apart for any reason.

I think the word "damage" only goes with "abuse". All the other things listed stand alone as things that also void the warranty.

As it stands there warranty is fine as is it already clears spyderco of warranty fixing all the DAMAGED knives due to disassembly I just don't know why Sal goes beyond what the published warranty states and says even proper Assembly voids the warranty. Understand there are a large number of people who can't use a screwdriver and the warranty addresses them but why Sal unofficially changed his warrany via a forum I don't understand or agree with warranties have regulations and can't be changed all willy nilly so I won't stress it.. just was hoping the values in which the piece of paper that came with my knives spoke of was more than words. Anyway I love spydercos and my paramilitary 2 will be here in a few hours.
I agree that it should be made clear on the warranty that comes with the knife, and on the website.
The warranty reads as if its covered if no damage is done to the knife during disassembly, but they post that if they can tell its been taken apart at all the warranty is void. Thats two different things all together.
Hopefully they can change the warranty papers to reflect that if the knife is taken apart the warranty is void.

I don't have a problem with it as I don't take mine apart, but the warranty should be made clear on the paper that comes with the knife. Most don't frequent forums and won't know the warranty is void if taken apart even if you don't damage the knife while doing so.

Yeah, but Spyderco has posted that the warranty is void even if there in no damage due to disassembly.
The warranty shoud read that the warranty is void if the knife is taken apart for any reason.

How can you come to that conclusion when it says Spyderco’s warranty does not cover DAMAGE caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening.
Notice there was no PERIOD after abuse it was a comma as a matter of fact there quite a few commas after the word CAUSED.
I think the word "damage" only goes with "abuse". All the other things listed stand alone as things that also void the warranty.

If spyderco knives never need to be taken apart why do they use torx screws also why is that not stated somewhere the box.. the website..I would think that a knife that never needed to be cared for under the handles would be put together in a manner that wasn't readily available to be disassembled, also i think they would have advertised the knife that NEVER needs to be opened to be cleaned as such.
Kristi answered that in the thread I linked to:
We manufacture knives with all screw construction not because we want you to take them apart. We do so, so our Crew can take them apart for maintenance and repair.

As for posting a THREAD about disassembling a knife voids the warranty the average Joe has never heard of blade forums much less read through old threads, the average Joe might read the warranty in the box though which NEVER states the act of disassembly of the knife voids the warranty. The warranty info straight from there website NEVER states the act of properly taking the knife apart and putting it back together voids the warranty.
The way I see it, that post was made as a courtesy and a warning. If you feel you're capable of reassembling your Spyderco so perfectly that the fact you disassembled it would not be noticeable to them, then you either

a) have nothing to worry about
or
b) are deluding yourself

While there are probably folks on this forum who can and do repair watches, there are also some who can't screw the cap back on a peanut butter jar three times without cross threading it at least once. Sad fact is there have been enough inept attempts at "cleaning" that Spyderco started selling a "rebuild kit" for the FRN Delica and Endura 4 models.

The warranty speaks for it self argue with what there website says not me, I don't care what was posted in an old thread clearly the warranty on my box agrees with me. It seems some people here will make excuses no matter what the WARRANTY STATES if your unaware a manufacturers warranty gives the customer specific rights. Like I said informally changing warranties in a thread is irrelevant. I started this thread for warranty clarification due to too many people disagreeing with what SPYDERCOS WEBISTE AND PACKAGES STATE PERIOD. If you have anything else to contribute other than in have nothing to worry about or I'm deluded I thank you for your post and will no longer reply to you until you address THE WARRANTY ON THE BOX not the 2 or 3 year old thread that contradicts what SPYDERCO OFFICALLY published. A highschool or middle schooler can read and understand what the WARRANTY STATES.
Kristi answered that in the thread I linked to:

The way I see it, that post was made as a courtesy and a warning. If you feel you're capable of reassembling your Spyderco so perfectly that the fact you disassembled it would not be noticeable then you either

a) have nothing to worry about
or
b) are deluding yourself

While there are probably folks on this forum who can and do repair watches, there are also some who can't screw the cap back on a peanut butter jar three times without cross threading it at least once. Sad fact is there have been enough inept attempts at "cleaning" that Spyderco started selling a "rebuild kit" for the FRN Delica and Endura 4 models.

Back