Spyderco Wire Clip Issue

P2P

Gold Member
I bought the FRN Chapparal recently. This thing is outstanding in every way but one, a weak wire clip. I've searched to web enough, and tinkered, to no avail. No matter what I try I simply cannot produce an angle that creates enough tension to even set the clip on the scales. I feel the issue is a lack of torque at the "chicago' style screw fastener.

Anyone have an idea or remedy? I love this little knife, but I simply cant carry a knife whose clip can't clip.

Is this just par for the coarse for all of you that love the wire clip? To each there own, I was just completely taken aback. This is the first time I've ever had experience with the wire clip.

All the wire clips I have touch the scale and the grip very well because they have 2 very small contact points instead of one broad one like a flat clip.

If you want you should be able to remove the clip and tweak it a bit to make it hold tighter but it should just be a tiny bend.

If you install the clip "backwards" it will let you get enough torque on it to bend it. Then install it normally. Though I've never had an issue with any of spyderco's wire clips.

If you install the clip "backwards" it will let you get enough torque on it to bend it. Then install it normally. Though I've never had an issue with any of spyderco's wire clips.
Just tried this before I left today. I’ll give it another shot when I get home. Thx

I bend EVERY clip. They're just too damn tight and lift my whole pant leg when trying to get it out. Plus it's harder to get on belts. Ya, do the backerds bending trick or (as I do) put it in a vice with a straight edge behind it to get a good line then bend away. You don't have to bend much in either direction to get a good result.

I don't think I've ever had the wire-on-FRN before, my wire clips have been on G10 and titanium. But they're pretty tight, the only one I've ever had trouble with is my Spydiechef and that's because I accidentally bent it outwards, it's never been the same since even when re-bending

Well, chipped a bit of the FRN after torquing on it a bit. First marks always hurt the worst. Problem with the chaparral is the screw just barely holds the clip in place. 30 minutes later, I thing Ive got the clip how I like it. Going to carry it tomorrow, see if the tension stays.

The tension on my K390 Urban is some of the most of any wire clips I've gotten from Spyderco. I really like it that way. The ones that've come from Taichung weren't exactly loose, but they didn't have a ton of tension either. That may be from the knives themselves, none of the other were FRN like the Urban. Sorry I can't be much help.

Reactions: CAD
Well, chipped a bit of the FRN after torquing on it a bit. First marks always hurt the worst. Problem with the chaparral is the screw just barely holds the clip in place. 30 minutes later, I thing Ive got the clip how I like it. Going to carry it tomorrow, see if the tension stays.
Post some pics, m8.

I bought the FRN Chapparal recently. This thing is outstanding in every way but one, a weak wire clip. I've searched to web enough, and tinkered, to no avail. No matter what I try I simply cannot produce an angle that creates enough tension to even set the clip on the scales. I feel the issue is a lack of torque at the "chicago' style screw fastener.

Anyone have an idea or remedy? I love this little knife, but I simply cant carry a knife whose clip can't clip.

Is this just par for the coarse for all of you that love the wire clip? To each there own, I was just completely taken aback. This is the first time I've ever had experience with the wire clip.

Oddly enough, I just received my FRN Chapperal and immediately moved the clip to the side (lefty) and just spent 15 minutes trying to see what I did wrong. The clip doesn't seem to fit fully into the channels and has some side to side play by the clip screw. The overall tension of the clip is fine, I fully believe it will stay cliped to my pocket. I am not so sure the clip wire will stay under the clip screw however. And yes, I did use the longer screw on the clip side.

This isn't my first wire clipped Spyderco and I think the wire clips are excellent, this one just has me confused.

Did you use the long screw or short screw? I don't think the short screw would hold the clip and grab enough threads.

I’m definetaly using the long screw. I’m guessing channels on his particular model are creating this issue, or maybe I got a lemon for a clip. I’ve screwed with this clip for like an hour total, it just won’t get tighter. I can’t even get both sides to sit on the handle.

I’ll post some pics at least by tomorrow hopefully. At this point I’m just putting up with it. I’ll be the first to admit it’s not a big deal, but I would consider this a fit and finish issue with mine in particular.

This blade is so thin and sliced that I really
want it to check all the marks. I went into this wireclip open minded and have not been impressed in the slightest thus far. There would be no problem if it was an hourglass clip.

If I can find my clip from my manix II lightweight I destroyed to get the maxamet blade out I'll send it to you, if it's truly the clip being the issue.

I’m definetaly using the long screw. I’m guessing channels on his particular model are creating this issue, or maybe I got a lemon for a clip. I’ve screwed with this clip for like an hour total, it just won’t get tighter. I can’t even get both sides to sit on the handle.

I’ll post some pics at least by tomorrow hopefully. At this point I’m just putting up with it. I’ll be the first to admit it’s not a big deal, but I would consider this a fit and finish issue with mine in particular.

This blade is so thin and sliced that I really
want it to check all the marks. I went into this wireclip open minded and have not been impressed in the slightest thus far. There would be no problem if it was an hourglass clip.

Worth a try anyway... looks like this might be a issue with this particular model. Not something you often see from Spyderco.

My sage 1 clip quickly became loosened after carrying, didnt try to bend it back really but it def takes away from wanting to carry it.. I also habe the k390urban which has sat snug so far even after carrying.

But thinking about it, my chappy raffir's clip was loose right out of the box. Wonder if its taiwan, or the tolerances on the chappy models thatre the problem?

I like to bend my clips. Bending a stamped clip is easy, I use a pair of pliers to hold the screw hole end and bend. With the wire clips it can get squirrelly since there are two ends that move independently. Usually a pair of vice grips works to hold the two ends nice and secure then you can bend the other end down.

Or on the deep carry wire clips, I'll use pliers or channel locks to pinch the little ends that go into the handle inwards towards the main part of the clip.

Basically at the 2 hour mark now of working on this brain teaser clip. I called spyderco warranty. I can either buy a new clip, even though the first was unacceptable IMO, or send it in for warranty service.

I guess i'll just keep at it for now.

I still feel where the screw mounts the clip is very odd. It offers no torque whatsoever.

After looking and tinkering, it looks like a design flaw.

It takes no effort at all to change the tension on this clip. This will go in for warranty work, and if that isn't satisfactory you'll see a chaparral on the sales thread going for cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: AF
Back