Spyderco Yojumbo Review

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Note, this review will discuss the Yojumbo, and my changes to it, some based on my own preferences, as well as some things that I consider to be outright flaws in the design.

Preface:
Once I got it in my mind, the wharncliffe blade profile trumped all others as my favorite. But it was difficult to find one large enough to suit my predilection for larger blades (4" EDC is my comfort zone).

I ended up getting it in my head to make my own large folding wharny out of knives of other designs, and the most notable example was this:

Aus10a Voyager Tanto XL plain edge converted to wharncliffe.
IMG_4653.JPG

The above knife is the closest I have come to having my "perfect large EDC wharncliffe folder".

However, it was missing one really important thing, namely a smooth and easy action. Yes, I could flick it with my thumb with a little wrist action, but the fear of a failed opening and what the strong self close would do to me finger always gave me pause, and in the end, I sold it, and kept looking for the right big wharny.

Enter the Yojumbo:
Then within the last couple months I learned about the Yojumbo, and as soon as I saw the picture I immediately though "Spyderco, finally!" The factory Yojumbo looks like close to the knife I have been wanting, and I got mine in hand today.

IMG_7224.jpg
IMG_7225.jpg
IMG_7226.jpg

Here is a quick video playing with the Yojumbo as it was out of the box.

Size:
The first thing I noticed was that it is a very tall blade and handle. It actually seemed to dwarf my Resilience when I put them side by side! Not quite as much blade length, and a bit more handle length. The Yojumbo is actually a fraction of an inch shorter than the Resilience, but it really doesn't feel like it or give that impression.

IMG_7227.jpg

Blade:
The Yojumbo really wins a lot of points from me for being a wharncliffe, and 4" long.

The nearly half height hollow grind is pretty well done, coming to a fairly lean .020" behind the edge, and this makes for a nice acute point. The knife is nor meant for prying, that is for certain.

The buffed edge is sharp enough from the factory, but doesn't comfortably shave hair, even after stropping. I had to hit the microbevel at 20 dps on the "brown" rods before I had the type of edge I like, which is a toothy, hair popping edge. My Yojimbo 2 was much more impressive for sharpness out of the box.

Ergos:
Here is where I expected to be let down, based on the pictures, and I was right. The point that separates the first two handle grooves is in exactly the wrong spot for my hands, and in my natural grip, my middle finger comes to rest right on it, creating a hot spot. I knew about it in advance from looking at the pictures, and I also knew I would be fixing it on my own knife. And if I were not the type to do such a thing, I would certainly have given this knife a miss.

On the positive side, the handle gives lots to hold on to, and the reason I didn't keep my Yojimbo 2 is because despite being a fantastic knife, the handle was just a little too small for me to feel comfortable using it hard, and actuating the lock. But here it is in the hand of its new owner. Also, I am a tip down guy, and the Yo2 was only tip up.

I customized my old Yojimbo 2:
IMG_0805.jpg

All work was done by me, except the scales were made by Aramis Ahkmedov, and I modded them to suit my hand and the new shape of the knife. It belongs to a good friend of mine now, who has smaller hands.

Compression Lock:
The Yojumbo, functions as it should. The compression lock feels very strong and solid. Out of the box the lock worked, but was a tad on the stiff side. As can be seen in the video above, the opening and closing action was not perfect, but I adjusted the pivot afterwards, and now the lockup is every bit as solid and the blade opens and closes much more easily. The detent is a touch on the weak side, but nothing that can't be overcome with mindful practice for a break in period.

But there is a problem. The Yojumbo from the factory has a completely senseless tang design that needlessly enters into the lock bar cutout, getting in the way of lock function.

Lockbar cutout.jpg

Spyderco has received and acknowledged criticism about about this "feature", and yet they keep doing it. Why? The shape of the tang there serves no actual purpose to the design of the knife, and actively reduces its user friendliness. It makes it more difficult to get your finger in there to actuate the lock and open the knife, if that's how you like to open your compression lock knives. Also, like the Shaman, it requires you to move your finger out of the way at the last microsecond if you want the knife to close all the way.

If this is something that annoyed you about the Shaman, get ready to be annoyed with the Yojumbo. If it didn't bother you on the Shaman, it won't bother you here either because it is not as bad as on the Shaman. But come on, this is a design flaw, pure and simple. I knew about it in advance from looking at the pictures, and I also knew I would be fixing it on my own knife. And if I were not the type to do such a thing, I would certainly have given this knife a miss.

Construction:
Coarse G10. Nested liners. S30V blade steel. T6 hardware for pocket clip screws. T8 hardware for body screws. T10(!) hardware for pivot screws. Excellent all around.

Aesthetics:

While it's not a bad looking knife, there are two things which stand out to me as standing in the way of it being a good looking one. The first is the "nose" on the blade. I would have preferred a sleeker blade profile. And secondly, notice how the front of the scales are shaped like the knife was meant to have a 50/50 choil. I don't understand the reason to shape them like that if there is no choil, unless possibly Michael Janich has intended it as a finger groove for using the closed knife as a sort of kubotan. But that is not a feature I need or want, so I would rather have the more aesthetic lines of a rounded scale.

Fit and Finish:
Overall very good, but mine came with coarse scratches in the hollow ground bevel. It looks like they didn't progress through all their grits before satin finishing, because in the left side hollow, I can run my fingernail down the bevel and catch in scratches from heel to tip. It's not super noticeable, nor a deal breaker, but it is what it is.

Here is the before and after of my Yojumbo.

Before mods:
IMG_7228.JPG

After mods:
IMG_7232.JPG

You'll notice that the "nose" is gone, and the blade has a sleeker look. It is also less front heavy, though still somewhat so. This makes it lighter and faster in the hand, which certainly fits the initial concept of the design.

The handle point has been ground down and reprofiled into belly. I would have made it a continuous inward curve, except that would have exposed the nested liners, and I didn't want to have a small spot of liner showing through the G10. But the handle is perfectly comfortable for me as it is now, and fits my hand very well. I also ground the first finger groove slightly forward so I can get my hand closer to the cutting edge, and rounded the front of the scales, purely for aesthetic purposes.

I ground the tang to remove the metal corner that intruded upon the lock bar cutout. I can still feel it touch my finger when I close the knife, but at least now the knife closes all the way without my having to move my finger out of the way. I can also use the compression lock more easily to open the knife, if I want to (but this isn't something I do often with my compression lock knives - I'm a Spydie hole thumb and index finger flicker).

Overall, I am quite happy with the knife, given that I have known for years that every folder I buy will receive some kind of modification by my hand. Had this not been the case, knowing what I do, I would almost certainly have passed this knife over and kept looking. And had I bought it, I am pretty confident that I would have sold it shortly after. But as it stands, with my modifications, I rank it right up there with the Spyderco Resilience as a fantastic knife platform, even if it required more changes than the Resilience for me to love it.

IMG_7233.JPG

Should you buy it if you will keep it as it is from the factory?

If you feel that everything about a design should have a purpose, probably not. The silly compression lock intruder will defy your rational way of looking at things. I can't help but shake my head and wonder why this design element keeps popping up with Spyderco. It would have been such a simple matter to shape the tang as I did, and avoid this issue completely.

If you have hands shaped just like mine, and/or dislike handles that dictate grip positions, then definitely don't buy it.

Those two considerations aside, I do actually think the Yojumbo is a great knife, and with its strong construction, good fit and finish, and time tested S30V steel, I think it's going to be a solid worker for who buys it.

My Yojumbo is awesome and that's why I bought and modded it

I commend you on your choice to modify your knives to suit your tastes, needs, and hands.

My Yojumbo is inbound and will join my other Wharcliffe designs. I don't much let the compression lock flaws bother me and the Yo 2 handle fits my small hands well. As for the spine shape, I prefer your design but understand the reason Michael Janich shaped it like that. I may pull out my belt grinder and copy your blade design.

I've often thought about taking a Spyderco full serrated Rescue knife and turning it into a Wharncliffe.

Long before Michael Janich convinced Spyderco to produce the Yojimbo, Bob Kasper had engaged Crawford knives to build a folding version of his fixed Dragon Wharncliffe that would become the Perseco (to cut through in Latin). IMHO it is the utlimate Wharncliffe folder albeit 4 times the cost of a Yojumbo. The Perseco has a 4.5 inch S30V blade and a Ti framelock handle. Bob has been dead a long time now but Wes Crawford will still make you a Perseco. Mine has a SteelFlame dragon clip as a reminder of the origin of the blade.

Crawford Perseco R Sized.jpg Crawford Perseco L Sized.jpg

Appreciate the review David. Nice job! I dig your mods.

These are the first pictures I’ve seen of it in hand. I was really curious where the little finger would land, and your pics were what I imagined.

I sold my Yo2 because of the extreme butt end taper and that “squirty,” slightly insecure feeing it gave me. I was hoping the Yojumbo might be better in that respect. It appears to be, maybe at the expense of a bit of extra handle.

Thank you!

I sold my Yo2 because of the extreme butt end taper and that “squirty,” slightly insecure feeing it gave me.

Exactly my feelings too!

I did some more work on it, and have some more comments about pocketability. I'll update soon, with more pics.

Great review and mods!

I had very little interest in this knife, until seeing your mods. If I decide to that I want a 4" wharncliffe, I would almost certainly try to replicate your modded Yojumbo.

Thank you!

Pocketability and deployment:
The Yojumbo is a big knife, period. It carries big. This is not a problem for me, however, as it is a back pocket knife in 5.11 taclite pro-shorts (or the LAPG discontinued equivalent). It is not as convenient to deploy when carried tip down with my deep carry clip as my tip down Resilience with deep carry, because the scales of the Yojumbo are coarser, more squarish, and wider that those of the Resilience, so they tend to want to grab the pocket on the way out. This was solved, however, with remembering to turn the knife slightly diagonally, i.e. pointing the spine out from the body at, say 25 or 30°, and then pulling the knife out. This gave the top front corner of the sales clearance from the fabric of my pocket, allowing a deployment not quite on par with the Resilience, but close enough that muscle memory will do the rest over time.

Deployment is another question. The detent on the YoJumbo is weak, and you can see from these pics, that the detent ball will not seat very deep into the detent hole, given the smaller size of the hole.

Detent ball:
IMG_7250.JPG

Detent hole (I left the caliper at 1.6 mm so you could see the size gap):
IMG_7251.JPG

I began to open the hole, but I put it aside for the moment. The detent is not terrible, and I can live with it, but I may work on it again in time.

Closing the knife left handed is a complete pain as it is from the factory. It's impossible to close it all the way using the pinch method because you literally cannot take your thumb out at the last minute without throwing the knife. And even after I ground my knife's tang, you can see that it still needs my thumb out of the lock bar cutout before it seats that last few mm.

Left and right handed opening and closing
(dislaimer, I don't normally middle finger flick!)

Even after I resolved the tang issue, left handed closing was still a problem, because if I wanted to do it using the "drop the blade on my index finger" method, the detent ramp was very small and it took a lot of force to overcome it. I greatly enlarged the detent ramp, and the result is the closing action you see above, where there is no effort required to push the blade closed.

IMG_7249.JPG

Lastly, I thought the community would appreciate a quick look under the hood.

IMG_7248.JPG

Even after I resolved the tang issue, left handed closing was still a problem, because if I wanted to do it using the "drop the blade on my index finger" method, the detent ramp was very small and it took a lot of force to overcome it.

Excuse, me, I meant this method, whatever you want to call it.

Thank you for the excellent review!

I found a couple videos on YouTube, but those were more initial impressions on the Yojumbo. I'm a big fan of big Wharncliffes and am eager to get my own Yojumbo.

I like the mods you did, too. I wish I had the skills and setup to do even half of what you did.

Wow. Great write up and awesome work you do, all valid points. I especially like the tang mod you did, not sure why they went that way either.

Thank you for the kind words.

Even after I hit the G10 with 400 grit sandpaper in the spot where the clip contacts it, I still had an issue where the wide squarish scales tended to get hung up under the lip of my pocket. So I rounded that part of the scale and it seems to deploy a good deal better with less need to concentrate on it. It seems less prone to catching, as there is no real corner to catch on the pocket any more.

IMG_7329.JPG

So living with the knife a little longer still, I figured it was only a matter of time before I fixed the handle a bit more. The point at the rear just wants to dig into my pinky, so it finally got moved a bit further back today, and also the belly in the handle got smoothed out a bit more. More neutral in the hand, this is more like the knife I wanted it to be.

IMG_7348.JPG

And this is nothing to do with the Yojumbo, but it bears mentioning anyway. I rounded my pocket clip a bit for better comfort.

Again nice work, I find myself visiting this thread over and over. I think you should submit a design to Spyderco especially since it appears you like large knives and so do many, but make sure we can go tip up also:p

Well I don't know if they would take a submission from little ol' me... but if so: Absolutely tip up included! I used to be a tip up guy, in fact. My first knife was a Manix 2 XL, and I loved it (and modded it to nigh unrecognizable), but now that I have converted to tip down, I sold it, and carry my YoJumbo, my Resiliences and a Pac Salt 2. In fact, I gave up my Pac Salt because it was tip up only, and used the sale funds to buy the Pac Salt 2 in yellow once it became available through my favourite Canadian retailer... I digress.

Back on point, not only would I make tip up possible, I would design it so that you can take it out of your pocket and not have to majorly adjust your grip to open it regardless of clip position (well someone with roughly my hand size and shape, I guess;)). The Spyderco Resilience is one of the few knives that I found to be super easy to carry tip up and tip down with fast deployment from just about any pocket. There's just something about the dimensions, which is again why I would love to see a knife by Spyderco that hits all the same bases as the Resilience, but is offered in a fine grained nitrogen steel (and with a well executed compression lock for good measure). Note: a deep carry clip on a tip up Resilience does hamper deployment somewhat, unless waving but I've gotten away from waved knives for actual use and carry.

Thanks, C Chinook3 , for the kind words.

Last edited:
I like what you're saying. I love the changes you made to the YoJumbo and appreciate what you're saying about the Resilience. I have a Resilience and really love the thing. I'd love something similar with Golden quality, materials, and a compression lock!

I agree with Chinook3. Between the modifications you made to the Yojumbo and all of the other things you've done, I bet you could come up with an excellent design with Spyderco!

Oh my, thank you kindly. Well you guys have me thinking that maybe I'll draw some pictures and see if Sal has time to look at one. Is that how it's done?

I've been trying to reserve my comments for after my YoJumbo gets here. That should be this Thursday.

Without the benefit of having one in my hand, I can only look at your pictures and videos. From what I see, you addressed a lot of things to make something that looks good even better. With your familiarity with and modifications of the Resilience, Yojumbo, Manix XL, and others, it's pretty clear to me that you know exactly what you want. From what I see and others are saying, I think it's what a lot of people want.

I haven't lurked on the forums that long, but I have seen Sal here a lot. He seems extremely down to earth and open minded. The line up of things he and his business have put out over the years show me he's not one to shy away from different ideas from different people. If anything, some might argue he pioneered that style of business. Just the name "YoJumbo" shows you what an interesting company Spyderco is.

I don't remember all of the details, but the fellow who designed the Amalgam had an awfully interesting story about his design getting picked up by Spyderco. I'm pretty sure I've seen him post here. I think his username was GundaManiac. He might be able to give you some pointers.

That's a good point. And then there was the "Jazzelica", i.e. the Delica Wharncliffe, unofficially named after the Spyderco forumite who drew it up. Well a potentially great knife is always worth a try. I've never designed a folder, beyond modifying existing ones first in photoshop and then with my tools in the shop once I have a vision for how it would look and what features I want to change or enhance. I've recently been recommended to pick up Fusion 360, and Jarod has said he's planning to do a basic video series on how to draw knives in it, and I am assuming it could be used to design folding knives.

@GundaManiac what do you say Brian? Any tips or friendly suggestions on how to get this going? I'd be honored if you wouldn't mind corresponding with me a bit so I can ask a little bit about tools and processes to hash out a design and get the attention of Spyderco. Maybe you can refer me to some resources that would help me wrap my head around the the technical aspects of modeling a knife to precise specs, or point me in the right direction? Coming up with the Amalgam must have been an involved and technical process. And @Surfingringo Lance, if you'd also be kind enough to share a little bit about your experience with the Waterway, that would surely also be helpful, and I'd be grateful to you both. If you gentlemen are too busy, no worries.

Last edited:
Back