Spyderco's 189V Stamp

Yesterday, I saw a good deal of a Spyderco Para 3 in my local marketplace, it has 189V stamp on it. That was my first time seeing one with it, does this thing legit Spyderco or just a knockoff ? If not, what does the 189V stamp mean on Spyderco's knives ? Cause I've seen some 189V on Enduras and Delicas, but not in Para 3. Thanks in advance.

Google spyderco collectors club.

This^

There is a Spyderco "Collectors Club" and, if you are a member, it will imprint your Collector# on each knife that you receive.

However, for this privilege, you have to agree to buy a certain # of knives varying from ALL of them (Main, Sprints and Variations) to just Main/Sprints or just Main but that could cost you A LOT of coin depending on how many knives are being issued by the company. That's why you see so many #'d knives being resold here on the Exchange and in other 2ndary markets soon after a new release.

Membership in the Collector's Club is limited to 200. So, a knife can be numbered from 1-200 BUT this doesn't mean that there are actually 200 members in the Collectors Club.

When I inquired about the club back in Dec 2018, I was told that the club was operating under the same rules since 2009 and they sent me a list of the "available" numbers so that I could pick the one I wanted, which means that the # on a knife is irrelevant to it's rarity or your standing on the list. So, don't believe the hype when someone says the # on a Spyderco means it's worth more because it's a low or limited #. It's BS.

The lowest # on the list I received was #18 and the highest was #198. There were 98 available numbers on the list, which means that the Collector's Club was barely 50% subscribed at the time.

So, I chose not to join, even though I could have had #18. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Wow that's new to me, now I know. Thanks for all of your responses. I think I'm gonna pick that Para 3 rightaway.

Wow that's new to me, now I know. Thanks for all of your responses. I think I'm gonna pick that Para 3 rightaway.

BTW, the V after the 189 means that it's a variation, which is different than the standard PM3 and if you are going to start buying Spyderco should have know/find out what makes this particular variation different which can affect its value in the 2ndary market (higher or lower depending on demand than the standard version).

Compare the blade steel and scale type/color w/the standard model and then go to EB for comp values; you can't get valuations here because you are not a paying member. If you're lucky you might get a rare/desirable variation for a bargain price. Not that you're in it for the $, of course. ;)

Last edited:
Back