Spyderco's First Traditional Knife

I love these late night/early morning emails that alert one to great knife deals...the Roadie is steadily making its way to several online stores, and I'm happy to report it can be had for as little as $44.00 shipped. If at that price you don't get one, then you have a heart two sizes too small.:D Merry Christmas everyone.

I love these late night/early morning emails that alert one to great knife deals...the Roadie is steadily making its way to several online stores, and I'm happy to report it can be had for as little as $44.00 shipped. If at that price you don't get one, then you have a heart two sizes too small.:D Merry Christmas everyone.
And you my friend should be named salesman of the year. :) :)

And you my friend should be named salesman of the year. :) :)

Nahh...I just appreciate this new take on the traditional folder. Now, if Spyderco decides to get into multi-blade offerings, they need to do what only one manufacturer has been able to do, and that's eliminating blade rub. Victorinox has mastered the art of crinking, and my oldest and most used and abused SAK's have no blade rub whatsoever.

Prior to this thread, I hadn't really noticed the Roadie in upcoming models. Now that I see it, I want it. Always did like the sheepsfoot blade.

They already made a 2 blade knife a lockback not the same concept as the Roadie. Myself I would welcome a traditional line-up. But I prefer single blades.

As you say Alnamvet, I've been giving one good workout for about a month or so. I'm pleaased. Now we'll see if the market likes it and has some ideas for us.

sal

I'll have a quick and dirty hands on review Monday evening, unless someone else beats me to it. It took me a good while to warm up to the design, but dang if this isn't the coolest little folder to come out of Spyderco since the Dragonfly.:)

Hey Vet,

Thanx for taking the time for a closer look. Our designs have traditionally turned people off at first look, because we often offer features for which most knife people are not accustomed. A closer look is required to "figure out" what it is we're doing.

Looking forward to your review. (and anyone elses). This is one of those concepts that will either just die or be refined and evolved into more than the original.

sal

It's been that way for me for every Spyderco I have...it was definitely not love at first bite; after a while, it would start to sink in the rationale for the designs, and that's when I was able to take an objective view. Unfortunately, I never could take to the PM2. I have two orange ones in the safe, but I have always felt they were just too big. I often think how neat it would be to have a Paramilitary in a 3.75" closed length (call it the PM Jr or the Midshipman); I am a big fan of folders that are at least 3.5" to 3.95" closed, but the Dragonfly at 3.1" feels just perfect with the choil. I'm sure the Roadie will not disappoint, even at 2.99".

Last edited:
...Thanx for taking the time for a closer look. Our designs have traditionally turned people off at first look, because we often offer features for which most knife people are not accustomed. A closer look is required to "figure out" what it is we're doing....

sal

This is what I keep trying to explain to people who say they don't like Spyderco knives because they think they look funny.

It's kind of funny that I've been looking at getting a "traditional" knife to carry around and use. I haven't even really thought about them in 20 years. I've been perusing GEC, Queen, Canal St., etc trying to find something I like. I've looked at 500 knives or so in the past week. I say this knife is definitely not traditional, but the features it does have seem like a common sense, functional approach to a non-locking small knife. Having said that, I don't like hump at the fore of the blade. I kind of wish they'd used a small leaf shaped wharncliffe blade and put the dimples closer to the apex of the leaf. It might have looked more proportioned. I like the features this knife has and I'm sure it's great to use, but I have a traditional itch to scratch and this doesn't do it. If I'm not going carry an actual "traditional" knife, then I'm going to carry a knife that makes more sense, like the military or something similar. I can see this being a bigger hit in areas with less than free knife restrictions, but I'm not in those areas and so it does nothing for me. What's great is that Spyderco pushes the envelope. When you're in the lead you find yourself going into uncharted territory. Some ways are great for those that follow, some not. I hope that the guys at spyderco keep pushing for new innovations for years to come. Most people thought Galileo was crazy too. If light sabers ever become a reality, I'm sure it'll first be spyderco pushing them out to the masses.

Back