Spyderco's First Traditional Knife

Besides the awkwardness of the shape, for me this knife lacks a feature I consider essential on any knife I carry - a point. Even a conventional sheepsfoot would offer more point.

As I said previously, I think a more "conventional" (for Spyderco) would have worked as well or better than this blade shape. It's intriguing but I think it falls short. Time will tell.

The design was created to meet a spec. To make the design with a point would not have been legal for the intended purpose. If the design is well received, we can consider other blade shapes.

sal

At the very least, you get a great steel at a very affordable price. And I love choils on slipjoints. I just lost my UKPK, it's between the Roadie and a Spy-DK to replace its spot in the rotation.

Sal, are there plans on putting the double dent on other slipjoint models like the Pingo and the Spy-DK?

The design was created to meet a spec. To make the design with a point would not have been legal for the intended purpose. If the design is well received, we can consider other blade shapes.

sal
With a different blade shape I might well reevaluate this knife. It has other features I like.

Regardless I do appreciate how you and your company are willing to innovate.

I think it is a cool purpose built tool.

Haters are gonna hate but it's got a well defined role and fills it.

With a different blade shape I might well reevaluate this knife. It has other features I like.

Regardless I do appreciate how you and your company are willing to innovate.

I think it is a cool purpose built tool.

Haters are gonna hate but it's got a well defined role and fills it.

There was a bit of "piling on" early in this thread but I think that most folks have mostly been trying to do constructive criticism. And also in many cases to angle it from the "traditional" view.

I also don't love the blade hump. The Spydie hole's gotta be there I suppose but I'm not enamored of it. Those things together make it look a little... I dunno... "flashy"?. Still, I'm saying that I think it is a great knife and that these are just features I'm cool on. Without them it would be a modern traditional with the best of both worlds. It's pretty sweet now, really.

That double détente opener might make me want to try one regardless. The handle is quite attractive.

I would personally love to see Spyderco do more stuff like this and definitely want to encourage it. When I said that I considered Spyderco the Traditional of Moderns that was meant to be a pretty high compliment.

Last edited:
The handle is attractive...looks like micarta from the pictures. I'll let you all know when I get mine this afternoon.

Quite a unique looking Spyderco, but no. No, no, no... And furthermore, no. I like most Spydercos, but that liitle guy is one that I will likely pass on. Now, if they come out with a different blade shape, maybe.

Last edited:
Well, it's here, and let me say that while it's smaller than I anticipated, I really like this little bugger. The FRN here looks and feels like Micarta, and the logo sits proud but reserved...definitely not the cockroach that some have alluded to. My youngest daughter wants it, and I told her the other colors coming, so she said I can keep it and expects me to buy her a orange one as soon as they're available. I will do a mini review later, so sit back, grab yourself a cold one, and enjoy; oh, and I'll post up more pics later alongside a Dragonfly so you can have a proper perspective as to size. Lastly, this knife has what I wished all traditionals, especially single bladed traditionals would come with....can you guess?:D

It does look better in your pic than in the first post. I like sheepsfoot blades, but this one looks a little odd. I'm still on the fence with this one. Perhaps if I saw a few more "glamour-shots" of the knife, I may warm up to it's looks.

OK, you're all stumped...it has a half stop. I like half stops, sometimes more as an indicator of precision than a safety feature. I have some awesome slipjoints both with and without and I'd not have made my decision on whether the knife had that feature or not, but in this case, it's a testament as to how well thought out and executed were the details of this new folder. I can easily see myself flying in first class and using this little guy for slicing what passes for filet mignon during meal time.:)

Half-stop?

EDIT: I'm a buffoon. I was looking at an unrefreshed version of this page before Al answered. Now I just look like I don't know what a half stop is. Haha.

Half-stop?

EDIT: I'm a buffoon. I was looking at an unrefreshed version of this page before Al answered. Now I just look like I don't know what a half stop is. Haha.

It's when you open the blade, and halfway towards full deployment is a detent that"locks" the blade in the half open position. A little nudge disengages the half stop to a fully deployed blade.

Back