Spyderco's First Traditional Knife

i love my pm2s but agree and assume that a smaller version would be their hottest selling knife.

the paramilitary is what i consider the perfect medium sized folder but many ppl do prefer smaller versions of their fav knives...

also, i believe premium offerings of their value folders would fly off the shelves as well.

particularly a tenacious with s30v.

i'm not the first to say it :)

Im not sure a tenacious in s30 would be a huge hit unless it was still a "budget" folder. If s30v was added wouldnt it bring it up in costs to around more a manix price range? In which case I would take one of spydercos knives around that price range than a tenacious. correct me if im wrong but just a thought!

Im not sure a tenacious in s30 would be a huge hit unless it was still a "budget" folder. If s30v was added wouldnt it bring it up in costs to around more a manix price range? In which case I would take one of spydercos knives around that price range than a tenacious. correct me if im wrong but just a thought!

sprint runs of those knives (just my opinion of course) would definitely be a hit.

you'd be paying a little more for a limited knife, great design with upgraded steel.

take the pm2 for example, almost any variation of that knife has been a hot seller. ppl are paying anywhere from approx $110 to $400 + for the older sprints and exclusives...

a sprint s30 tenacious set at $100 (dealer price) would be a success because it's a very unique design for spyderco (nearly 50/50 blade handle ratio, no choil)..

just sending my 2 pennies back your way:)

sprint runs of those knives (just my opinion of course) would definitely be a hit.

you'd be paying a little more for a limited knife, great design with upgraded steel.

take the pm2 for example, almost any variation of that knife has been a hot seller. ppl are paying anywhere from approx $110 to $400 + for the older sprints and exclusives...

a sprint s30 tenacious set at $100 (dealer price) would be a success because it's a very unique design for spyderco (nearly 50/50 blade handle ratio, no choil)..

just sending my 2 pennies back your way:)

I see your point and youre probly more right than I am on this! I was thinking more of it being regular production instead of a sprint run, in which case if it was sprint I could see it being a hit. anyway back to spydercos traditional blade :thumbup:

The design is not for me personally, but I admire Spyderco for pushing the envelope and trying something new.

Bravo!

+1 :thumbup:

Regardless of my dislike of this specific knife I think Spyderco's constant innovation is of critical importance in the industry. And one of the least understood aspects of innovation is that sometimes you make the wrong call. Time will tell if this was one of those or another example of Spyderco leading the pack. :)

There's nothing to dislike...you're just not trying even a little bitty....

Nothing to dislike, nothing special about it either. It doesn't do anything many previous designs can't do. Given that option I'll go with a traditional sheepsfoot over this.

Nothing to dislike, nothing special about it either. It doesn't do anything many previous designs can't do. Given that option I'll go with a traditional sheepsfoot over this.

Ahhhh, but that's where you're being shortsighted...think globally. Given the current state of political and security concerns, where knife laws keep getting progressively worse, and law abiding citizens are being criminalized for mere possession of any knife with a lock, or the knife fails the "flick test" and is classified as a "switchblade" or gravity knife, or it's a one handed opener, or anything over a 2.5" blade puts one in felony territory. and etc, etc, ad nauseum, this gentle "giant" should have the most progressive LEO asking, "where can I get one", instead of him saying, "you're under arrest".

Ahhhh, but that's where you're being shortsighted...think globally. Given the current state of political and security concerns, where knife laws keep getting progressively worse, and law abiding citizens are being criminalized for mere possession of any knife with a lock, or the knife fails the "flick test" and is classified as a "switchblade" or gravity knife, or it's a one handed opener, or anything over a 2.5" blade puts one in felony territory. and etc, etc, ad nauseum, this gentle "giant" should have the most progressive LEO asking, "where can I get one", instead of him saying, "you're under arrest".

I have no idea where you got the idea that any traditional can be flicked open, but that is not the case.

The sad thing is, Spyderco already had a prime candidate as the basis for an "every where legal" knife: the Kiwi series. All the would have needed to do with the Kiwi 4 was shrink it's blade to 2", make it a slipjoint, and make it a sheepsfoot. Remove the big opening hole and put in a small one for copyright purposes and viola! I open mine all the time without using the hole, it is easy to pinch open.

Last edited:
I have no idea where you got the idea that any traditional can be flicked open, but that is not the case....

Ah, but it can be. According to news stories out of NYC, police officers can partially open a knife blade and make multiple attempts to open it with wrist/arm movements until it fully opens. At that point, it's classified as a "gravity knife" and is illegal. That includes slip joints. In fact, one story specifically named a man arrested for carrying a Spyderco UK Pen Knife--a slip joint design. The end result is if it can be opened, it's illegal. There's been a lot of news reports about this blanket classification of folding knives and the prosecution of knife owners by the NY district attorney's office.

Even a Roadie would be illegal there.

But that's New York City where everything is illegal.

I always thought this little guy looked pretty traditional.

Spyderco%20C112p-s%20micro%20Dyad.jpg

Ah, but it can be. According to news stories out of NYC, police officers can partially open a knife blade and make multiple attempts to open it with wrist/arm movements until it fully opens. At that point, it's classified as a "gravity knife" and is illegal. That includes slip joints. In fact, one story specifically named a man arrested for carrying a Spyderco UK Pen Knife--a slip joint design. The end result is if it can be opened, it's illegal. There's been a lot of news reports about this blanket classification of folding knives and the prosecution of knife owners by the NY district attorney's office.

Even a Roadie would be illegal there.

But that's New York City where everything is illegal.

How is that relevant to this discussion? The obvious solution to that problem is not to be in New York, that's hardly a problem specifically for the Roadie or any given traditional. New York City is stupid.

Well, excuse me! I was under the impression that Alnamvet68 mentioned knife laws and how they contributed to the introduction of the Roadie and you stated traditionals cannot be flicked open despite the fact that they can be according to NYC laws.

Guess I'll bow out of the discussion now. Being irrelevant and all.

Well, excuse me! I was under the impression that Alnamvet68 mentioned knife laws and how they contributed to the introduction of the Roadie and you stated traditionals cannot be flicked open despite the fact that they can be according to NYC laws.

Yes, because we should always base all knife designs on the laws of a single city with 0.01% of the world's population.

/sarcasm

You fail to realize that most cops have been put into a "supercitizen" class of society where the laws that restrict you from defending yourself do not apply to cops. I know, I am one, and I truly detest the fact that I am allowed certain leniencies that you are not allowed, too.

Keep posting Lee48...the hatta's are gonna' hate no matter what...they're going to argue against anything that flouts conventional/traditional thinking, and will go to extraordinary lengths to argue minutia, and engage in an obsessive quest to find fault regardless. It does appear that some of our more auguste posters are driven more so by feelings, rather than having an open mind, and showing objectivity of the facts presented so far. I'm sure Spyderco will continue to push the envelope and develop more 21st century interpretations of the traditional folder; I can't wait. :)

Keep posting Lee48...the hatta's are gonna' hate no matter what...they're going to argue against anything that flouts conventional/traditional thinking, and will go to extraordinary lengths to argue minutia, and engage in an obsessive quest to find fault regardless. It does appear that some of our more auguste posters are driven more so by feelings, rather than having an open mind, and showing objectivity of the facts presented so far. I'm sure Spyderco will continue to push the envelope and develop more 21st century interpretations of the traditional folder; I can't wait. :)

How pathetic is it that to some Spyderco fanbois anyone who doesn't think every Spyderco product is a work of inspired genius and therefore that the Roadie is the greatest knife since Excalibur must be a Spyderco hater?

How pathetic is it that to some Spyderco fanbois anyone who doesn't think every Spyderco product is a work of inspired genius and therefore that the Roadie is the greatest knife since Excalibur must be a Spyderco hater?

What is a fanboi? I never heard such a word used in polite discussions involving knives; and what exactly does a mythical and magical rapier have to do with the topic at hand?:confused:

What is a fanboi? I never heard such a word used in polite discussions involving knives; and what exactly does a mythical and magical rapier have to do with the topic at hand?:confused:

Just because some of us are less enamored than you over Spyderco's latest toy doesn't make us "hattas" (certainly no more polite a term than fanbois) who are "gonna hate." You like it; others don't. Get over it. There's lots of room in knife space for everyone.

And with that, I take my leave of this thread. Clearly the topic has been beaten to death.

And with that, I take my leave of this thread. Clearly the topic has been beaten to death.

Most excellent, and thank you for your service...to this thread. That said, let's get back to some positive and forward thinking here. Today, I went to my favorite oyster bar in East Ocean View with a friend, and brought my Roadie. Normally, when I dine, I bring my Case Doctor's knife as my go to cutlery for dining outside the home...this time, it was just for beer and oysters...raw oysters and plenty of them. Typically, the oysters are served with the abductor muscle completely severed, but more often than not, I find myself having to resort to a spoon to dig out and separate the meat from the shell; not this time, the Roadie came through with flying colors. Perfectly sized, with a perfectly shaped blade, it was a pleasure not being able to just grab a shell and suck out the meat, instead, I used this little guy to cut out and scoop/pierce the muscle and just eat away. The bartender/owner took notice of this beautiful little tool, and said he had to have one. We came to an agreement, we would pay for the beers, the oysters would be on the house, and I would gift him the Roadie. We spent a few hours at this wonderful testosterone-laden bay front retreat, favored by the locals, boaters, fisherman, and savvy sailors from Norfolk Naval Station, and after about 5 dozen or so oysters, and beaucoup brewski's, we decided it was time to go home, at which point I called my daughter to come pick us up since we wanted the pleasure of being "chauffeured" ;) home. Most women/wives will never really understand why men of all cultures, professions, and differeing socio-ecomomic backgrounds can get together in one place and while away several hours eating raw oysters, drinking beer and spirits, and commiserating about life's sometime injustices, family issues, military service, the state of our union....yes, it was a great day this 1st one of the year. Oh, I just realized that my first knife purchase of this year 2015 was/is a Spyderco Personal Oyster Dining folder.;)

Most excellent, and thank you for your service...to this thread. That said, let's get back to some positive and forward thinking here. Today, I went to my favorite oyster bar in East Ocean View with a friend, and brought my Roadie. Normally, when I dine, I bring my Case Doctor's knife as my go to cutlery for dining outside the home...this time, it was just for beer and oysters...raw oysters and plenty of them. Typically, the oysters are served with the abductor muscle completely severed, but more often than not, I find myself having to resort to a spoon to dig out and separate the meat from the shell; not this time, the Roadie came through with flying colors. Perfectly sized, with a perfectly shaped blade, it was a pleasure not being able to just grab a shell and suck out the meat, instead, I used this little guy to cut out and scoop/pierce the muscle and just eat away. The bartender/owner took notice of this beautiful little tool, and said he had to have one. We came to an agreement, we would pay for the beers, the oysters would be on the house, and I would gift him the Roadie. We spent a few hours at this wonderful testosterone-laden bay front retreat, favored by the locals, boaters, fisherman, and savvy sailors from Norfolk Naval Station, and after about 5 dozen or so oysters, and beaucoup brewski's, we decided it was time to go home, at which point I called my daughter to come pick us up since we wanted the pleasure of being "chauffeured" ;) home. Most women/wives will never really understand why men of all cultures, professions, and differeing socio-ecomomic backgrounds can get together in one place and while away several hours eating raw oysters, drinking beer and spirits, and commiserating about life's sometime injustices, family issues, military service, the state of our union....yes, it was a great day this 1st one of the year. Oh, I just realized that my first knife purchase of this year 2015 was/is a Spyderco Personal Oyster Dining folder.;)
Ah, the joy of a little slipjoint. No "giving in" to "sheeple", just a gentleman's knife in a gathering of gentlemen.

Bet you laid it on the table between uses and just had your elegant little tool appropriate for that setting. Haul out the big'uns at work the next day.

So, more modern appropriate tools like that can't be anything but good.

Back