Spyderco's SPYDERENCH

My most used mulit-tool is my Victorinox Swiss Tool and my Swiss Tool X. For conventional multi-tools I don't think they can be beat. But I also have a multi-tool that few people are aware of and that is Spyderco's SPYDERENCH.

Now the SPYDERENCH is far from being a conventional type multi-tool but it has a lot of viable uses. It even has a diamond grit knife sharpener on it that actually does a decent touch for use in the field. I'm sorry to say that Spyderco discontinued them some time back and the original models made at the GOLDEN, CO USA plant are getting very tough to find.

But I find the SPYDERENCH to be an excellent companion to my Swiss Tool. Who else here has a SPYDERENCH? How do you all rate it against other multi-tools? What advantages do you all think it has? Let's talk about Spyderco's SPYDERENCH.

IMG_2530.jpg IMG_2532.jpg The Spyderench has an adjustable wrench as well as a pair of pliers. The blade is 440C. Because the tool comes apart, you can hold a nut with the wrench while you are tightening the screw with the screwdriver.

View attachment 738636 View attachment 738637 The Spyderench has an adjustable wrench as well as a pair of pliers. The blade is 440C. Because the tool comes apart, you can hold a nut with the wrench while you are tightening the screw with the screwdriver.

It was the units made in Golden.CO USA that had the 440C blades in them. The Taiwan and Chinese (Byrdwrench) units had AUS-8. The Golden USA units were made in the early 2000s and are getting about as rare as an honest politician.

It is interesting that it is about the only multi-tool I know of that comes apart like you said. It is a most unique multi-tool and becoming a collector's icon in the Spyderco community.

The closest design to that of the Spyderench has to be the Piranha multitools made in China but not even those can be disassembled and split to use independently one from the other

3YwfsqT.jpg

I own the biggest and smallest size and while they are fun and curious they are not up to heavy use and the materials and quality is obviously non-comparable to that of Leathermans or Victorinox tools.

oBK6XK3.jpg

I'd like to see and have one, but cannot at the exorbitant prices they run now on the secondary market. I'd love a re-issue at an affordable price.
In what I believe Spyderco could be the next "big hit" is in the creation of a H1 or LC200N multitool, one that could be used under any condition, in any environment, and could not rust or corrode so you'd not hesitate to carry it to the sea, on the boat among fish guts and seawater or use it in the rain or the river.
LC200N or H1 could potentially change the world of these tools and their versatility, and we drooled over that idea for years on different forums.

iGtgC8E.jpg

Spyderco, what are you waiting for!?

That's a really novel idea for Spyderco to consider a SALT version of the SPYDERENCH. The multi-tool market for fishermen and seafaring vocations could be really big if it's done right.

I would love to see a SPYDERENCH with LC200N blades and corrosion proof tools. This concept would appeal to many multi-tool users.

I think that a SALT version of the SPYDERENCH would do well with Hawkbill blades SE & PE.

The Spyderench was really cool in concept, but when I EDC'd one briefly I found a few reasons why it was not for me. First off, the pliers not being needle nosed, or even just a bit pointier turned out to be a problem. You couldn't grab much down in a hole, or form loops in wire. Then there was the adjustable wrench, I don't remember what the maximum opening size was, but I distinctly remember that it was just a tiny bit smaller than the nuts I had frequent need to tighten. And the tool felt just a bit awkward to operate, but that might have faded if I had carried it longer. If it was re-released with a few design tweeks, I'd buy one and give it a try again.

It was the units made in Golden.CO USA that had the 440C blades in them. The Taiwan and Chinese (Byrdwrench) units had AUS-8. The Golden USA units were made in the early 2000s and are getting about as rare as an honest politician.

It is interesting that it is about the only multi-tool I know of that comes apart like you said. It is a most unique multi-tool and becoming a collector's icon in the Spyderco community.

The ByrdWrench blade was 8Cr13MoV.

I'd like to see and have one, but cannot at the exorbitant prices they run now on the secondary market. I'd love a re-issue at an affordable price.
In what I believe Spyderco could be the next "big hit" is in the creation of a H1 or LC200N multitool, one that could be used under any condition, in any environment, and could not rust or corrode so you'd not hesitate to carry it to the sea, on the boat among fish guts and seawater or use it in the rain or the river.
LC200N or H1 could potentially change the world of these tools and their versatility, and we drooled over that idea for years on different forums.
Spyderco, what are you waiting for!?

Both the original and Taiwan made SpydeRenches were pretty expensive when they were in production. I seriously doubt a reissue would be more affordable. Seeing the price of the Tusk makes me suspect that a Salt version would run about double what the originals sell for now. Maybe what Spyderco is waiting for is a Powerball winner to commission a Sprint Run.

The Spyderench was really cool in concept, but when I EDC'd one briefly I found a few reasons why it was not for me. First off, the pliers not being needle nosed, or even just a bit pointier turned out to be a problem. You couldn't grab much down in a hole, or form loops in wire. Then there was the adjustable wrench, I don't remember what the maximum opening size was, but I distinctly remember that it was just a tiny bit smaller than the nuts I had frequent need to tighten. And the tool felt just a bit awkward to operate, but that might have faded if I had carried it longer. If it was re-released with a few design tweeks, I'd buy one and give it a try again.

It will open to 5/8" with the file in place and 3/4" if you take it out. That's a pretty big bolt to be tightening with a multitool.

I like that it carries standard 1/4" bits, so you can easily customize the tool to suit your needs. I dislike that it carries standard 1/4" bits that are hard to hang onto when your fingers are cold, and even harder to find when they fall out in the snow. I like that you can separate the tool into a screwdriver and wrench. I dislike the offset, uneven jaws on the pliers that are a result of that design feature. I like having a good, hard steel Spyderco blade on a multitool, but the knife blade is the least used tool on any of my multitools. I'd rather have a saw blade. It's thinner and lighter than a Leatherman Wave, but it is far less versatile as well.

The ByrdWrench blade was 8Cr13MoV.

Both the original and Taiwan made SpydeRenches were pretty expensive when they were in production. I seriously doubt a reissue would be more affordable. Seeing the price of the Tusk makes me suspect that a Salt version would run about double what the originals sell for now. Maybe what Spyderco is waiting for is a Powerball winner to commission a Sprint Run.

It will open to 5/8" with the file in place and 3/4" if you take it out. That's a pretty big bolt to be tightening with a multitool.

I like that it carries standard 1/4" bits, so you can easily customize the tool to suit your needs. I dislike that it carries standard 1/4" bits that are hard to hang onto when your fingers are cold, and even harder to find when they fall out in the snow. I like that you can separate the tool into a screwdriver and wrench. I dislike the offset, uneven jaws on the pliers that are a result of that design feature. I like having a good, hard steel Spyderco blade on a multitool, but the knife blade is the least used tool on any of my multitools. I'd rather have a saw blade. It's thinner and lighter than a Leatherman Wave, but it is far less versatile as well.

One thing that kicked the price of the Tusk was the Titanium handle, but i agree that given the complexity of the SpydeRench, the price would not likely drop on a reissue.

If they were to do a Salt version of a multi tool, what do you think they'd use for frame material? Given that the Tusk is the only metal handle Salt knife so far, and they went with titanium for it, I'm guessing that's what they'd use for the frame of a Salt multi tool. It's either that or one of the rustproof steel alloys that will weigh a lot more, and unless they make the whole thing out of H-1 or LC200N (making it even more expensive) they lose the "bling factor" and even then they miss selling them to people who will buy anything made of titanium just because it's titanium.

I can see parting lines on my SpydeRench which leads me to believe that it was investment cast. Titanium is not normally cast. A machined Ti Salt would cost 2 arms and a leg.IMG_2672.jpg

Back