Spyderco's Super IN HOUSE designs

I've been on this great forum here at BF for quite a few years as well as the other great discussion forum over at Spyderco.com. And I've had the privilege of enjoying many of Spyderco's great models ( Collaborations and IN HOUSE designs). But I make the case that with all the great Spyderco collaborations we've discussed over the years that we really don't give due consideration to many of Spyderco's great IN HOUSE designs. And some of Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs continue to be some of my all time favorites. Especially the ones I continue to use as "hard use" models.

Now I'm including Sal & Eric both with their great designs they have graced us with throughout the years. In Eric's slot I've got to say that the Dodo model is one of my all time, top 10 favorites and has been since it's release in 2003. For a specialty type design I can't think of one off the top of my head that I like more than the Dodo model. When I got my very first one back in 03/04 when they were released I had bought it as an investment and for my collection because I just didn't take this most unique design very seriously. At first I thought it to be some type of Novelty Knife and thought it might be a great collector piece. But one week I decided to carry it for my EDC folder and I was astounded as to how great that blade worked for an EDC folder. For a short bladed model it was far more versatile and useful than I had ever imagined.

Now it goes without saying that Sal has had more than his share of super great designs. When I got my very first TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model ( 2004 era) I liked it so much that I quickly got the Spyderedged version and I still own and still use those two TEMP 1 models to this very day. There isn't hardly a week go by that I don't use the TEMP 1 ( PE & SE) along with one of my Spyderco CATCHERMAN models for all kinds of kitchen and food prep duties. There are several great IN HOUSE Spyderco designs that are so practical and useful. So we need to give credit where credit is way overdue. Because many if not all of Spyderco's great IN HOUSE designs are great. So let's chat about more of Spyderco's IN HOUSE models?

I've been on this great forum here at BF for quite a few years as well as the other great discussion forum over at Spyderco.com. And I've had the privilege of enjoying many of Spyderco's great models ( Collaborations and IN HOUSE designs). But I make the case that with all the great Spyderco collaborations we've discussed over the years that we really don't give due consideration to many of Spyderco's great IN HOUSE designs. And some of Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs continue to be some of my all time favorites. Especially the ones I continue to use as "hard use" models.

Now I'm including Sal & Eric both with their great designs they have graced us with throughout the years. In Eric's slot I've got to say that the Dodo model is one of my all time, top 10 favorites and has been since it's release in 2003. For a specialty type design I can't think of one off the top of my head that I like more than the Dodo model. When I got my very first one back in 03/04 when they were released I had bought it as an investment and for my collection because I just didn't take this most unique design very seriously. At first I thought it to be some type of Novelty Knife and thought it might be a great collector piece. But one week I decided to carry it for my EDC folder and I was astounded as to how great that blade worked for an EDC folder. For a short bladed model it was far more versatile and useful than I had ever imagined.

Now it goes without saying that Sal has had more than his share of super great designs. When I got my very first TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model ( 2004 era) I liked it so much that I quickly got the Spyderedged version and I still own and still use those two TEMP 1 models to this very day. There isn't hardly a week go by that I don't use the TEMP 1 ( PE & SE) along with one of my Spyderco CATCHERMAN models for all kinds of kitchen and food prep duties. There are several great IN HOUSE Spyderco designs that are so practical and useful. So we need to give credit where credit is way overdue. Because many if not all of Spyderco's great IN HOUSE designs are great. So let's chat about more of Spyderco's IN HOUSE models?
'Way overdue credit?'
Customers have for years heaped praise on not only Sal and Eric's design efforts but also Schempp, various collab designers etc.
They all deserve the laurels but overdue ... ?

I'm with BladeScout,Sal & Eric get ALL the laurel's and praise they deserve for their contribution to their fantastic company,and sometimes even more (MY opinion!).but overdue????

OK let me clearify somehing I think the two of you overlooked. I sort of see your take on it but the point I am trying to make is that when you normally talk of a great Spyderco model that in most cases you hear the praises of one of their great collaborators. I've been guilty of it my own self. For instance two of my all time favorite Spyderco collaborations are the C-60 Ayoob model and the JD Smith model. Especially the Ayoob model is one of my all time favorite knife designs ever. I hope they do another Sprint Run of it.

But some of the past Sal Glesser designed models like the TEMPERANCE 1, one of the first fixed blades he brought forth back around 2004 I think it was. That is still one of my all time favorite fixed blades in the knife universe to work with. The Catcherman is still about my most favorite fillet knife ever brought forth by a commercial knife producer. Yeah I stick by my guns his accolades on those two models as well some others since that time have been overlooked in my humble opinion compared to many of the high end collaborations.

Well if no one else is going to show appreciation for those great designs I sure will. And I'm looking forward to more designs him and Eric will have in the future. Not to mention another one of my all time favorite folders which is also a Sal Glesser design and that being the C-54 big Calypso model>> which I believe might have been their first folder ever with VG-10 blade steel.

What I hear you say, JD, is that Sal and Eric - while getting credit for founding/running Spyderco - do not get enough credit as knife designers ?

If that's the case it needs to be corrected ! Cheers to both for designing my 2 favorite knives, the Military (Sal) and the Manix 2 (Eric).

IMO, most of the 'best' (read, my favorite/those I think have the best value and utility) Spydies are in house designs. Delica, Endura, Military, Paramilitary 2, Manix 2 XL, Stretch and the list goes on.

OP, I dont feel, we have overlooked squat.
The designers of our favorite knives reap plenty of (deserved) praise.
Where have you been?
You are active on the Spyderco forum as well as here.
This reminds me of the thread with the title along the lines of 'The underrated Pacific Salt.'
Few knives are as raved about.
Few designers as those in question have laurels heaped upon them.
They even have their own forum and also a sub here.
You go, guys.

Last edited:
What I hear you say, JD, is that Sal and Eric - while getting credit for founding/running Spyderco - do not get enough credit as knife designers ?

If that's the case it needs to be corrected ! Cheers to both for designing my 2 favorite knives, the Military (Sal) and the Manix 2 (Eric).
Yeah!! I think that's a great way to put it more accurately. By the way I'm a huge fan of the C-36 Military models myself. My two favorites in that group are the M390 and XHP versions. If I remember the story correctly I believe Sal once said that if he had to send a kid or family member off to war or to even join the armed forces that would be the knife design he would have sent them with. I'm pretty sure I've got the context of that right.

Yeah that's really an ideal way to put it because it's not often you hear anyone sing the praises of Sal & Eric being the great knife designers they both are. They are far more known as proprietors of Spyderco for the most part and most knife fans don't stop to think that they have blessed us with some of Spyderco's best all time designs as well.

But I do like a few of Spyderco's collaborations too as I mentioned earlier. I especially want to see that C-60 Ayoob return as a Sprint Run again at some point.

It's hard to look at the PM2 or Delica and think they are under rated.

Plus, and well, the Dodo. Fantastic design.
Hey I never even hinted that the models themselves were "underrated">> no I wasn't leaning in that direction at all. But I can't help but wonder if many people have stopped to think about who was the brains behind some of those great designs. And KreyZhorse I agree with you with all the models you just mentioned.

But I am perplexed as to why a couple of people seem to think I'm wacky for trying to show appreciation for what the Glessers have blessed us with. Why would anyone take that in a negative sense :confused: or take offense to it? That part is just a bit confusing and to a minor degree a bit insulting as well :(

I think they simply misunderstood the meaning or tone of your post somehow JD. People around here are constantly on point and on the lookout for sarcastic fanboy trolls posting treads with hidden meaning and that's great but sometimes a good guy gets misunderstood. It's plane to me what your saying and I fully agree :thumbsup:. It Never hurts to tell someone that they are doing a fantastic job and more people should give it a try. Hats off for Sal and Eric for doing what they do best and that's making solid and interesting EDC Users that stand the test of time.

..... I can't help but wonder if many people have stopped to think about who was the brains behind some of those great designs......

But I am perplexed as to why a couple of people seem to think I'm wacky for trying to show appreciation for what the Glessers have blessed us with. Why would anyone take that in a negative sense :confused: or take offense to it? That part is just a bit confusing and to a minor degree a bit insulting as well :(
Im not saying, that you are 'wacky' but as for modern blades, I have more Spyderco knives than any other brand. More knives than Ill ever conceivably be able to use in a lifetime. Im acutely aware of who designed my knives. My bunch of knives pales in comparison to the collections of many other Spyderco aficionados. They are aware of the designers as well. Then there are the many many forum members, who have one or a couple of Spyderco knives. All or most are acutely aware of the design provess of both Sal and Eric.
Heck, their initials are on some of my/our favorite and most used knives of all time. Their names as designers are inexorably tied in with said knives. Many, many, MANY have praised them as designers and still do. To say, that their praise is long overdue is quite frankly a tad silly. Again, you are a forum member over on the other forum. A forum, some have called an 'echo chamber' in the sense that I and most other members participate there because we like Spyderco knives, Sal and Eric et al. As several have remarked upon, there is much praise of the products and (deservedly) praise is heaped upon Sal and Eric.

To say that their praise is long overdue is implying, that they are not reqognized as excellent designers of some of the most popular and succesful knives of modern times .....and THAT quite frankly is the insulting bit (now that you went there);).

Again, not saying that you are 'wacky,' as you coined it but sometimes you post some rather outlandish claims:D

Last edited:
I think they simply misunderstood the meaning or tone of your post somehow JD. People around here are constantly on point and on the lookout for sarcastic fanboy trolls posting treads with hidden meaning and that's great but sometimes a good guy gets misunderstood. It's plane to me what your saying and I fully agree :thumbsup:. It Never hurts to tell someone that they are doing a fantastic job and more people should give it a try. Hats off for Sal and Eric for doing what they do best and that's making solid and interesting EDC Users that stand the test of time.

Yeah and I thank you very much for re-affirming that too. Because that was exactly the spirit in which I made my post. And why someone wants to be hostile and abrasive about someone else's posts or threads is just baffling to me. I've been on this forum to close to 15 years now and I can only think of maybe one other time I've been insulted like this. Or maybe without knowing the guy and to give a benefit of the doubt maybe it's just a "misunderstanding" of sorts. But why anyone would take any portion of my post personally offensive is truly perplexing to say the least.

Again one of the better folders that Sal designed that I've loved since the day it was released in the late 90s is the C-54 Calypso ( the original grandfather of the entire calypso line).

Even though I praised the TEMPERANCE 1 model I'll have to make a separate compliment for the TEMPERANCE 2 model. Even though the concept is similar they are truly two totally different fixed blade models>> and both excellent designs by the way.

I'd buy another for sure. Tweaking the blade shape wouldn't hurt sales either.
While we're on the subject of the "Dodo" model I would like to expound on that. I did a thread on another forum once suggesting that they take the Dodo model and make a bigger version of it. Have a version of the Dodo with a wider/longer blade and a bigger scale unit overall. I love the original Dodo and still own two of them and I use my Blue PE unit for EDC carry on occasions. A bigger scale Dodo model I think would be a workman's dream blade. Especially in areas of the country that have draconian, restrictive blade laws. Because for a short bladed knife you can really do a lot with the Dodo model. Oh Yeah!! My favorite of all the Eric Glesser designs.

Last edited:
While we're on the subject of the "Dodo" model I would like to expound on that. I did a thread on another forum once suggesting that they take the Dodo model and make a bigger version of it. Have a version of the Dodo with a wider/longer blade and a bigger scale unit overall. I love the original Dodo and still own two of them and I use my Blue PE unit for EDC carry on occasions. A bigger scale Dodo model I think would be a workman's dream blade. Especially in areas of the country that have draconian, restrictive blade laws. Because for a short bladed knife you can really do a lot with the Dodo model.
Agreed on the Dodo being a workmans dream blade^. As an electrician I am always searching for the perfect work knife and the Dodo ticks all the boxes for size and blade shape. It would be perfect for slicing cables and stripping wires but I unfortunately I haven't had any luck finding one except on the 'Bay' :confused: so I'll just have to wait for another release and continue using my Delica. I just finished up giving it a shiny new edge for work and Wow! this knife will cut.
ukrspxL.jpg

Yeah and I thank you very much for re-affirming that too. Because that was exactly the spirit in which I made my post. And why someone wants to be hostile and abrasive about someone else's posts or threads is just baffling to me. I've been on this forum to close to 15 years now and I can only think of maybe one other time I've been insulted like this. Or maybe without knowing the guy and to give a benefit of the doubt maybe it's just a "misunderstanding" of sorts. But why anyone would take any portion of my post personally offensive is truly perplexing to say the least.

Again one of the better folders that Sal designed that I've loved since the day it was released in the late 90s is the C-54 Calypso ( the original grandfather of the entire calypso line).

Even though I praised the TEMPERANCE 1 model I'll have to make a separate compliment for the TEMPERANCE 2 model. Even though the concept is similar they are truly two totally different fixed blade models>> and both excellent designs by the way.
Pls point to where the bad man touched you feel anybody has been 'abrasive,' 'hostile' and what have offended you so very gravely for only the second time in your 15 yrs on the forum?

Haven't most of the Spydercos ever made been designed "in house?"

Only a fraction of the 100+ Spydercos that I own has a specific designer's name on (or associated with) it. All the rest I assume were designed by Sal, Eric and/or someone else in the company.

Last edited:
Manix 2, Para 3, Tenacious... Some of my favorite spyderco knives, and some of my best period, designed by Sal and/or Eric. Although I have been wanting a small wharncliffe blade myself, being an electrician like Night Rider. I've used all my knives stripping cable, but a small (2 inch or less) wharncliffe would work a lot better than a big Manix blade!

Isn't there a dragonfly wharncliffe? I might have to look into that!

Back