Spyderco's Taichung (Taiwan) Folders

Interesting to see this list. All my Spydercos are from Taiwan except the PM2, which I'm going to sell (and the Ladybug, which is more of a keychain tool than a pocket knife): Chaparral, Sage 5, and SpydieChef. And all the new and upcoming models that interest me are as well: Kapara, Smock, Ikuchi, Drunken, and Paysan. Who knew?

These 4 Taichung folders should be at Spyderco dealers fairly soon (Smock first):
  1. Drunken CPM-S90V Titanium/CF (Taiwan)
  2. Ikuchi CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate (Taiwan)
  3. Paysan CPM-S90V Titanium (Taiwan)
  4. Smock CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate (Taiwan)

These 4 Taichung folders should be at Spyderco dealers fairly soon (Smock first):
  1. Drunken CPM-S90V Titanium/CF (Taiwan)
  2. Ikuchi CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate (Taiwan)
  3. Paysan CPM-S90V Titanium (Taiwan)
  4. Smock CPM-S30V CF/G-10 Laminate (Taiwan)

The Smock was already released by Spyderco I already got one directly from the Factory Store. Others did as well, since they are showing it out of stock now

The Smock was already released by Spyderco I already got one directly from the Factory Store. Others did as well, since they are showing it out of stock now

I know but it's not widely available yet. My personal subjective criteria is not when the Spyderco Store or Collectors' Club have them but when dealers have them in stock after the initial trickle.

Anyway, how's the hold on the Smock? In one of the videos it did not look comfortable. I like the button release for the compression lock.

I know but it's not widely available yet. My personal subjective criteria is not when the Spyderco Store or Collectors' Club have them but when dealers have them in stock after the initial trickle.

Anyway, how's the hold on the Smock? In one of the videos it did not look comfortable. I like the button release for the compression lock.
I'm interested in the grip feel as well. In JT's Knife Life's video, he used the handle's choil for the middle finger, so the index finger rested at the front of the handle under the pivot.

I hope the button release is a success and they try this configuration of the compression lock in more models.

Last edited:

The "hold" on the knife is fine to me but the feel of a knife in your hand is a pretty subjective matter. You'll have to decide for yourself when you get your hands on one.

You can put your index finger in the choil in the blade but because of the sharp corner at the front of the choil, you risk cutting your finger if you put too much of your finger in it. This is a greater risk for people w/larger hands/fingers. This is similar to a problem w/the blade choil on the Jot Singh Khalsa which I do not like to use for that reason. However, I think that the blade choil on the Smock less "dangerous" than the one on the Khalsa and can be used safely as long as yo pay attention to the position of your index finger.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the grip feel as well. In JT's Knife Life's video, he used the handle's choil for the middle finger, so the index finger rested at the from of the handle under the pivot.

Yes, that’s the same video I watched. The hold looked somewhat awkward.

Per Kristi of Spyderco on Friday morning, February 15th:

“The first run of the Smock was 1200 pieces.

We have shipped our international customers, collectors, and premiers (a program for our distribution customers). We just finished allocating the remaining inventory and those are shipping out today and early next week. So you'll see the Smock available again through dealers probably within the next week. The Smock is a standard inventory item so even though the first run is sold out (meaning orders placed with us directly from our distribution chain) there will be more to come.

Kristi”

Updated post #1. Now, only two are upcoming:

• Paysan CPM-S90V Titanium
  • Sage5 CPM-30V Black FRN

First update to post #1 in about a year!

Upcoming:
  1. Bombshell CPM-20CV OD Green G-10 C250GTIP Flash Batch (Taiwan)
  2. Chaparral Sun & Moon CTS-XHP White G-10 (Red G-10 Inlay) & Black G-10 (Mother-of-Pearl Inlay) C152GSMP (Taiwan)
  3. Watu CPM-20CV CF/G-10 Laminate C251CFP (Taiwan)

Delivered:
  1. Paysan CPM-S90V Titanium (Taiwan) - MAY 2019
  2. Sage5 Lightweight CPM-S30V Black FRN (Taiwan) - NOV 2019

Discontinued:
  1. C123CFP - Sage 1 Carbon Fiber
  2. C152STIBLP - Chaparral Blue Stepped Ti
  3. C152STIP - Chaparral Stepped Ti
  4. C193PGY - Squarehead Lightweight Gray
  5. C193PBK - Squarehead Lightweight Black
  6. C203TIP - Mantra 2 Titanium
  7. C212CFP - Magnitude Carbon Fiber
  8. C214TIP - Advocate Titanium
  9. C224GP - Lil’ Sub-Hilt G-10
  10. C225GP - Hundred Pacer
  11. C227GP - Hanan G-10

So far, I have excluded Dealer/Distributor Exclusives from the list in post #1 (Sprint Runs and Flash Batches are already included).

Should we include Dealer/Distributor Exclusives? If so, were there any other than KnifeJoy's Smock?

Should we include Dealer/Distributor Exclusives?

Personally, I say no. Create a separate list for exclusives.

BTW, is Sypderco still making Janisongs? Thought they were discontinued too or are they just not distributed in the US?

Last edited:
Personally, I say no. Create a separate list for exclusives.

BTW, is Sypderco still making Janisongs? Though they were discontinued too or are they just not distributed in the US?

I’ll leave out Exclusives for now.

Janisong is only for sales outside the U.S.

QWbnBzz.jpg

Man, I'm going to have to grab a CF Sage before they're gone. I assume we'll see them discounted at all the major retailers?

Janisong is only for sales outside the U.S.

By Spyderco (and other companies) but PTP sales do turn up from time to time on the Exchange, Arizona Custom and other 2ndary marketplaces, which is how I got mine.

Man, I'm going to have to grab a CF Sage before they're gone. I assume we'll see them discounted at all the major retailers?

Before the Sage 1 CF was discontinued they were selling for $146.25 so anything for that price or less for a brand new one is good if you can find one. Sage 5 CF is currently selling for $163.80.

Back