Spyderco's Unique Sharpening Tools?

For years I've loved my Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker as many of you have as well. I've also owned two sets of Spyderco's 302 Benchstones for about 20 years. But aside from some of Spyderco's super popular sharpening tools they also have a lot of "Unique" and "One Of A Kind" type sharpening tools as well. We don't hear much said about tools like the "Slipstone", the "701 Profiles", The 400 series set of small files, as well as the DoubleStuff and Doublestuff 2.

Needless to say Spyderco has a very nice selection of portable manual sharpening tools. I would go as far to say that Spyderco is the king of small, portable sharpening tools. Also I'm looking forward to some of the newer sharpening tools. They have plans for a CBN version of the GOLDENSTONE as well as the return of the old GALLEY V sharpening kit.

OK let's talk about Spyderco's specialized, unique Sharpening Tools?

I love my sharpmaker. What I like to do is get my 30 degree edge with my lansky, then take it over the top on my sharpmaker. Just like I did with my 0566cf and 0562cf over the last couple days.

The really good thing is that now that I have them more or less set to 15 dps, when it comes time to thin the edge with my diamond rods I am all set, or at least close, with my angles. Don't have to take as much material off and won't take as long.

I really need to get the ultra fine rods too, I think that would really step up my sharpness levels, even though I can easily shave hair and slice paper now. I mean, how sharp do you really need a knife? Lol!

I haven't dabbled in any other spyderco sharpeners, but if I ever get around to getting better at freehanding I want to get their bench stones.

I love my sharpmaker. What I like to do is get my 30 degree edge with my lansky, then take it over the top on my sharpmaker. Just like I did with my 0566cf and 0562cf over the last couple days.

The really good thing is that now that I have them more or less set to 15 dps, when it comes time to thin the edge with my diamond rods I am all set, or at least close, with my angles. Don't have to take as much material off and won't take as long.

I really need to get the ultra fine rods too, I think that would really step up my sharpness levels, even though I can easily shave hair and slice paper now. I mean, how sharp do you really need a knife? Lol!

I haven't dabbled in any other spyderco sharpeners, but if I ever get around to getting better at freehanding I want to get their bench stones.
Oh most definitely you need a set of Ultra-Fine stones for your 204 Sharpmaker. I found that when I bought all the extra stones I could get for my 204 Sharpmaker it really enhanced what I was capable of doing with it. I've yet to get a set of the CBN stones for the 204 Sharpmaker but they are high on my list just like the bigger Ultra-Fine Benchstone model 308.

I'm really hyped about this newer Doublestuff 2 stone. I always just loved my original Doublestuff and still use it. Also my Spyderco 701 Profiles are a sharpening tool I just can't do without. The 701 Profiles are far more versatile than most people believe that they are.

I'll tell you, I did one knife reprofiling on my lansky, but after I was done with the coarse profiling I switched to the sharpmaker diamonds. Did the progression through all rods, and I was surprised at the finish on the blade. It was hazy mirror, but very smooth. I imagine ultrafine would have refined that even further.

Spyderco why do you have to take all my money!? Lol! It really is amazing that something as smooth feeling as the triangle rods can cut metal. It must be magic!

I'll tell you, I did one knife reprofiling on my lansky, but after I was done with the coarse profiling I switched to the sharpmaker diamonds. Did the progression through all rods, and I was surprised at the finish on the blade. It was hazy mirror, but very smooth. I imagine ultrafine would have refined that even further.

Spyderco why do you have to take all my money!? Lol! It really is amazing that something as smooth feeling as the triangle rods can cut metal. It must be magic!
Dude!!! if you don't have the Ultra-Fine stones for your 204 Sharpmaker you are doing yourself an injustice. When I got my first set of the Ultra-Fine 204 Sharpmaker stones back around 2002 I think it was it stepped up my results in a big way.

Spyderco's Ultra-Fine stones are also great for sharpening straight razors too. But everyone who gets a 204 Sharpmaker absolutely should get the Ultra-Fine stones even if you don't get any of the others available.

Oh yeah, gotta love the Sharpmaker....in duplicate....with diamonds and UF's. But the one I find myself reaching for most often is the little DoubleStuff. Probably because I keep it right here on my table.

Dude!!! if you don't have the Ultra-Fine stones for your 204 Sharpmaker you are doing yourself an injustice. When I got my first set of the Ultra-Fine 204 Sharpmaker stones back around 2002 I think it was it stepped up my results in a big way.

Spyderco's Ultra-Fine stones are also great for sharpening straight razors too. But everyone who gets a 204 Sharpmaker absolutely should get the Ultra-Fine stones even if you don't get any of the others available.

Well, I'm off to order them then! Knowing the results I'm getting right now (popping hair and I can even whittle it sometimes!) the UFs are going to help me that much more! Funny how in such a short time I've become so obsessed with knives and their sharpness. I remember just a year ago if I got a knife to cut through paper I was happy. Now if I don't hear the hair popping off its not good enough!

Sure I know that edge doesn't last long, but it sure is fun achieving it, and showing off lol!

All right, stones ordered. Should be here Saturday! Probably won't get to use them right away, supposed to work 12 hours Saturday, probably 10 Sunday if not 12. Gotta make that money though, right?

Medium Spyderco Benchstone :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know benchstones are not "unique" sharpening tools ... but the ease of use, clean up, and durability of Spyerco's benchstone definitely qualifies as UNIQUE in my book!

I'd LOVE to see one that was scaled up about 60%

Medium Spyderco Benchstone :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know benchstones are not "unique" sharpening tools ... but the ease of use, clean up, and durability of Spyerco's benchstone definitely qualifies as UNIQUE in my book!

I'd LOVE to see one that was scaled up about 60%
Yeah and "Petey" I totally concur with you about Spyderco's 302 Benchstones being not like most others. I've had two sets of those since the early 2000 decade and I wouldn't even consider selling or trading any of them. Just for straight razors alone I would not want to try anything else other than the Spyderco 302 Ultra-Fine stone. It's really about the only stone a guy needs to keep a high quality straight razor to optimum sharpness.

I mainly use my Fine & Ultra-Fine 302 Benchstones for finish work but they are so useful for a wide array of sharpening jobs. At the risk of sounding like a scratched LP record album I do believe the GOLDENSTONE would be their hottest selling sharpening tool if it were offered in at least 3 to 4 other grit selections. The more I play with that stone the more viable uses I find for it.

Also many of Spyderco's unique sharpening tools are great for De-burring jobs. In knife sharpening as well as other metal working projects the good De-burring tool can make all the difference in the world.

Gotta say, I've used my ultra fine stones and I'm a believer. Really got my edges that little bit sharper!

Gotta say, I've used my ultra fine stones and I'm a believer. Really got my edges that little bit sharper!
Oh that doesn't surprise me at all. By the way are you into "straight razors" at all? Because if you ever decide to use an old fashioned straight razor the only thing you need to sharpen it with would be one of Spyderco's Ultra-Fine Benchstones.

I can't even begin to tell you all how good of results I've had using one of Spyderco's ULtra-Fine stones on a wide variety of different types of tools. I've also had good luck using it as a finish tool on Spyderedges. It is also a great "de-burring" tool as well.

No straight razors for me lol but I have sharpened my wife's scissors, and she seems to be pleased. Said they cut better than they ever have!

Now I need to hit all my knives on the ultra fines... I can definitely tell which ones have the extra refinement and which ones don't!

No straight razors for me lol but I have sharpened my wife's scissors, and she seems to be pleased. Said they cut better than they ever have!

Now I need to hit all my knives on the ultra fines... I can definitely tell which ones have the extra refinement and which ones don't!
Speaking of scissors there is a really nice slot on the 204 Sharpmaker for sharpening scissors to a perfect 12.5 degrees. When I do it I start with the medium and go to the Ultra-Fine and usually I only need to sharpen my most used pair of scissors about once a year.

Another great thing that the Ultra-Fine stones are good for is "de-burring">> and I'm not just speaking about de-burring a really finite knife edge. Because you can use one of those Ultra-Fine stones for all kinds of de-burring. Many times when I knife doesn't seem like it's got a really well honed edge is simply because it wasn't de-burred properly.

With straight razors that's not a problem because you just simply lay the blade flat and use the spine as your sharpening guide.

Back