Recommendation? Spydiechef or Caribbean sheepsfoot

So yeah, I am going to buy a new Spyderco. Not today, not tomorrow, more like in 5 months, so I am not in hurry. I always like to think about my purchase. I have watched a lot of reviews, but I kinda like both, but I dont think I really need to rotate 3 folding knives for EDC.

Pros of Chef: highly unusual design, framelock (never had it before), titanium (also never had it before), deep carry clip (this is very nice, I dont really want people ask all the time, that I have knife with me)
Cons: more expensive (260 vs 200 €, if I buy Caribbean, I can also afford one DMT stone)

Pros of Caribbean: it is a bumblebee!!!, compression lock (I really like it on my PM2), bit longer blade (doesnt really matter that much) and I think it is bit more practical, like it is not only belly like on chef
Cons: it will catch everyone attention (clip is not deep carry + really visible yellow and black stripes)

So, what do you guys and girls think?

What is more important to you, form or function?

The Chef looks and feels great, it is lightweight and it is slim. I don't think it is meant for long periods of work use though, but it is a great EDC. Whereas Sal designed the Caribbean to a great extent to be very functional, I believe he said lots of effort went into designing the handle, and it is meant to be spotted if dropped underwater.

If you want an EDC knife get the Chef. If you want a workhorse get the Caribbean.

if you are a chef (or for EDC) get the Chef... if you are living the 'salt life' get the Caribbean...

actually I should have said 'ditto' to what Lieferung said...

Neither one really appeals to me.

I know that the Spydie Chef is very popular but I just don't need/want that kind of knife especially for the price people are asking for them. Different stokes for different folks.

As already suggested, just buy the one that meets your needs best.

Last edited:
I’ll go ahead and do it...
Ditto to what Liferung said.

I’ll add that if you need to be budget conscientious, are after LC200N, and a shorter blade will work, don’t look past the Native 5 Salt.

FRN (or G-10 for that matter) can be dyed if you need something more incognito than yellow.

Out of those two I’d go with the chef. The carribean is a pretty big (read wide) knife. I handled one and while it’s a comfortable knife to hold, it was just too big for me in the pocket. The chef is slightly smaller but better shaped for carry in my opinion.

Thanks guys for replies. I think I have to really make up my mind.....But I am sure when I get something, I will be posting it here.

I have two other Spyderco framelocks that lack a SS lock-bar insert: Tighe Stick and K2. Both visibly have lost lock bar material over time, to the point that I don't EDC them. On the other hand, the Caribbean is a great, great knife, probably my favorite acquisition in 2018.

Roland.

I have two other Spyderco framelocks that lack a SS lock-bar insert: Tighe Stick and K2. Both visibly have lost lock bar material over time, to the point that I don't EDC them. On the other hand, the Caribbean is a great, great knife, probably my favorite acquisition in 2018.

Roland.
That is exactly what worries me about the Spydiechef, long term durability. I had assumed that it was because LC200N isn't a super high hardness steel it wasn't needed but seeing as that most I have encountered come with 50%+ lockup and there isn't an insert I'm not sure about spending $200+ on that. Also, I have read reports of the handle edges rounding off over a year or so of use, that could be another example of titanium wear.

Do/can they harden the titanium at the lockbar interface at all?

That is exactly what worries me about the Spydiechef, long term durability. I had assumed that it was because LC200N isn't a super high hardness steel it wasn't needed but seeing as that most I have encountered come with 50%+ lockup and there isn't an insert I'm not sure about spending $200+ on that. Also, I have read reports of the handle edges rounding off over a year or so of use, that could be another example of titanium wear.

Do/can they harden the titanium at the lockbar interface at all?

I don't know about the Chef. I know that the K2 lock bar is hardened (confirmed by Farid, and you can see a color change of the Ti). Doesn't matter, still wears down (and sticks, too - sharpie doesn't help much). Now LC200N is probably softer than 10V, but still it would worry me. Again, on the other hand, the Carribean is pretty much a knife without flaws: thick pivot and double stop pin, beautifully made, decent size blade, very easy to close one-handed, etc.

Roland.

I can’t speak to the K2 or Tighe Stick in specific, but aside from initial break-in, I’m not sure how prevalent integrity-limiting lockbar wear is in knives like the Southard, Slysz Bowie, Techno, etc.

No malice is meant to those above, but it would seem to me that if it was a prevalent issue we’d be hearing about it all over the forum.

I can only speak to a single Chef sample, but mine had a small amount of lockstick
that disappeared quickly (without Sharpie, etc.). The lockbar is treated (probably carb-i-something-ized). My lockup is probably 60% and given the geometry of the tang, I’ll be really surprised if it ever becomes an issue (even if it does creap a little over the years).

I don’t want to come across like I’m on a quest or anything; it’s just my ¢2. I still think lieferung lieferung gave the best advice. Personally, I don’t think longevity should sway you as they’ll both meet or exceed expectations.

Don't get me wrong: a static 50-70% lockup is very much OK for me and normal for the other Spyderco Ti frame-locks that I have (Military and Advocate). But one of my K2 is at almost 100% now. Maybe I shouldn't flick it, which I do .... so there might be a difference in how you use the knife, and blade size and weight play a role as well, of course.

FWIW, I have a K2 (and a ZT0560) that will demonstrate some "lock stick" but only if I am lazy about closing them.

I find that if I just hold the blade and apply some pressure towards the spine as I release the lock bar, there is no lock stick whatsoever.

Definitely the Spydiechef. Why?
  • The loud colors of the Caribbean may seem fun now, but I think it might get old in a hurry
  • Realistically, I don't think there's ANY knife more practical than the Spydiechef. Unless you don't cook at all. It's one thing we can use a knife for EVERY DAY. I was over at a friend's house this weekend, she was cooking and I volunteered to help. She put out a nice Henckels santoku knife, but I disregarded it and pulled my 'chef. Made short work of those mushrooms.
  • Yes, the 'chef is all belly, but this is part of why it manages to be a good cook's knife despite having only a 3.3" blade. The other part is that the handle is angled back a bit, so there are no issues with knuckles hitting the counter.
  • Even if you only occasionally cook, it's nice to have a sharp knife that no one else uses. My ex wife used to chop vigorously against plates, and scrape the sharp edge across the cutting board. It drove me nuts, as that was why our kitchen knives were always dull. But she wouldn't knock it off. When I cooked, I just pulled out my razor sharp Spydiechef and it was glorious.
  • Spydiechef carries pretty small in the pocket, for its size. Smaller than the Caribbean, from what I've seen on YouTube. (the Australian guy's channel)
Others apparently use it for EDC-type tasks too. ;) I haven't done it yet, I always seem to have another knife at hand that is more suited to those tasks.

I wasn't too keen on slab-sided titanium at first. But there's something about Ti, it always seems to feel warmer in the hand than steel. Not as conductive, I think.

One other thing I'd add about the 'chef: If you're going to use it for food prep, it makes a lot of sense; it's just awesome at that. You'll know what you've been missing in a pocket food prep blade the first time you slice a tomato or something.

If you're thinking about getting it as an EDC and it will mostly be used for other things, there are other knives that make more sense. It's not that the 'chef won't do them, it's just that it's not perfect for them.
  • It's not that flickable
  • You have to be careful closing it, since the base of the blade is so wide and it's sharp almost all the way back

The Spydiechef is one of my most flickable spydies. The action is incredibly smooth especially with a drop of oil. Even better when the initial touch of lockstick (a common report) clears from use. Plus the sound is a nice chain of clicks with that solid CLACK from the lock engaging.

I would also compare it to another Slysz design the Techno, which is another great flicker.

Last edited:
7A211138-65A6-4DCA-B9AD-076DD6286FA7.jpeg 6FDEB3F7-FDB7-46BA-A6E8-B5EC35814214.jpeg Just got a SpydieChef a few days ago and I’m loving it, carried and used for the last two days non stop. Well executed design. Caribbean arriving tomorrow. I have a feeling I will love both.

Marcin Slysz designs all of his knives with later lockup. Late lockup doesn’t bother me, gives me extra confidence the blade is going to stay in the open locked position. So many people fuss over late lockup and I don’t get why if you are actually going to use your knife.

Just got a SpydieChef a few days ago and I’m loving it, carried and used for the last two days non stop. Well executed design. Caribbean arriving tomorrow. I have a feeling I will love both.

That of course is the correct answer to the OP: buy both :)

That of course is the correct answer to the OP: buy both :)
I mean, yeah, I cant say that is never going to happen...These two knives are so nice. One day I am liking more the Spydiechef, other day Caribbean. It will be a hard choice. But like a said, no new knife until April/May.

Back