SpydieChef thread

Hey all,
Really thinking about a pre order on this one, but not quite sure. Just wondering how everyone else is feeling toward it. I loooove my Slysz Bowie, so definitely feel tempted to get another Slysz design. I've seen it mentioned in the sub forum but didn't see a dedicated thread.
Anyone have feelings about the design? Steel? Usability? I'd love to know what everyone else thinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all,
Really thinking about a pre order on this one, but not quite sure. Just wondering how everyone else is feeling toward it. I loooove my Slysz Bowie, so definitely feel tempted to get another Slysz design. I've seen it mentioned in the sub forum but didn't see a dedicated thread.
Anyone have feelings about the design? Steel? Usability? I'd love to know what everyone else thinks!

I'll definitely be getting this when it comes out. Besides the Caribbean, it's probably number one on my list. I rarely pre-order any production knives though. There are always others that I want that are available now.

But in regards to the knife itself, it took me a while to warm up to it due to the blade shape. But the more I checked it out, the more I liked it. I'm also a big fan of all of the Slysz Spydies.
But with titanium, wire clip, and most importantly LC200N, I'm stoked for this one to drop.

I'll get one for sure, but wait for the general availability. I love my Techno and Bowie, and I think the chef will become my main EDC if it lives up to my expectations.

Could someone tell me more about the steel?

According to alpha knife supply it's equivalent to Z-FiNit, which I frequently see in custom knives. I don't have any experience with it personally, though. Can be treated to HRC 61 apparently.

I have yet to purchase a knife in this steel, but I have read that it is comparable to H1 in corrosion resistance. However, it is supposed to have much better edge retention. I'll probably stick to my current H1 Salts for saltwater submersion when fishing and stuff until I see more feedback on it's corrosion resistance. I have not seen a comparison as for as edge retention is concerned. I'm hoping for S30V type retention, but I'd be happy if it was comparable to VG10 in PE. I just can't wait for this knife though! I also plan to EDC it. I'm lazy and I plan to beat the hell out of it and only clean it for food prep.

According to alpha knife supply it's equivalent to Z-FiNit, which I frequently see in custom knives. I don't have any experience with it personally, though. Can be treated to HRC 61 apparently.

Hmm...I also don't have any experience with Z-FiNit, so I'll look that up and maybe it will give me a better idea.

I think the blade shape will work out great for what it's designed for, mainly food prep. I'm curious about the steel and if it is similar to H1 but with better pe edge retention I think they'll have a winner. I'm not a huge fan of liner/frame locks and I'm really waiting on that compression lock salt blade as well as a flipper with the comp lock.

I am going to get one for sure.
The blade shape, grind, and thickenss scream that it should be a good slicer.

Miso

I'm very tempted.

I already own a Techno so if I do get a SpydieChef I'm going to feel obligated to get a Slysz Bowie as well. Seems like a legit excuse to pick up another two knives, right?

Sweet .... A Spydie chef thread. This is one of the few designs that I have been patiently awaiting (other than the s110v Millie and KW S90 Millie sprint) from Spyderco. LOVE Slysz designs and very interested in the steel. Im not a fan of back locks so all the salt offerings have been meh to me. But this being a rust proof/ resistant , frame lock and Slysz design check all my boxes. Hell other than a few boxes, tape, packages etc food prep is mostly what I use my folders for. The blade shape should be great for that but I am wondering how it will be for more utilitarian edc uses. Cant wait to get my grubby mitts on this knife.

I've had one on pre-order in what feels like ages - can't wait for this knife to come out.

I know, late to the party! Can someone post a picture of this new Spydie Chef. I don't have a clue what it is? Thanks Guys

14538058.jpg

DSC_4006.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2016_productionsample_spydiechef_inhand_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2016_productionsample_spydiechef_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2016_productionsample_spydiechef_inhand_2.jpg

Thank You Sharpblade for the pictures! Kind of reminds me of a Rock Lobster.

I'm getting one for sure. No pre order though. I have very limited use with the steel in the Tusk. The price seems about right, however I suspect at $100 less than the Bowie, it won't be as refined, which I do love and find the Bowie to be worth the $280 I paid.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Back