SpydieChef thread

My review is in progress but in the meantime a short story for you guys. Today took the kids to 'Christmas sweets workshop' and it was awesome, really, they loved it a lot! At some point they asked to chop ginger with... butter knife. Safety madness hit hard sometimes, LOL.

But I was fully prepared with my SpydieChef so I saved the day! Ginger cookies rock!

bck_web_06.jpg

bck_web_01.jpg

Of course I didn't let my son to use it... Mom was way too close so he didn't have a chance ;) At least I had some fun for myself :D

bck_web_09.jpg

bck_web_07.jpg

Sweet. Our sons kindergarten actually has Masahiro knives for the kids:p They are decently sharp as well, but I don't know if they will stay that way. The kids only get to use them under adult supervision ;)

I finally saved up enough coin to get my hands on one!
Has a lot of lock-stick.
It's also intermittent levels of lock-stick, depending on if the lock bar flexes downward on the blade lock face, not just inward as the usual lock bar path travels.

But, quite happy with the design, it's a beauty, and just as pleasant in the hand and slicing!

Not much to say about my first blade with LC200, yet.

As soon as I saw this design pop up, I wanted to compare it with my Rock Lobster with the Dietz handle mod. Has a lot of similarities in my eyes.

It's seems apparent to me that the blade angle of the SpydieChef is designed for work on a surface about waist height. Which would make perfect sense for a portable chefs knife.
20161220_214932_zps7vo9eg9g.jpg

Looks very similar closed, especially with the modded Rock Lobster handle.
20161220_215044_zpsebt3fxo7.jpg

Stand off construction.
20161220_215136_zpsixblbiiv.jpg

Even at a quick glance, designer logos of Jens Anso and Marcin Slysz have similar arrangements!
20161220_215320_zpssxcsfrf5.jpg

Going to continue some regular use. See if the lock bar wears in and smooths out or not. And also see how LC200 does for me!

My first one had a lot of lock stick. I applied sharpie to the blade tang. The stick was still pretty bad, but is now almost gone after a month of use.

Miso

My first one had a lot of lock stick. I applied sharpie to the blade tang. The stick was still pretty bad, but is now almost gone after a month of use.

Miso

Your "first one"?
So you've operated multiples and one had noticeably different action?
Now I am wondering if I should trade this one. I've never had to do that with a knife before...

Or, I'd I should just carry and use it and see if it works the friction out as it wears in...?

Hmmm....

Although I do not have a SpydieChef yet, I am certain it will break in to perfection with some use.

Had my Chef since November and have been using it quite frequently. Out of the box it had lock stick. I applied some electronics dielectric grease to the lock. Combined with wearing the lock in I can report that my stick is minimal and hardly noticeable. To the point I don't notice any. It's a great knife.

I'd definitely like mine a little sticky rather than slippy. I've got a few with the latter and there's no fix as opposed to some stick that will eventually work itself out.

Your "first one"?
So you've operated multiples and one had noticeably different action?
Now I am wondering if I should trade this one. I've never had to do that with a knife before...

Or, I'd I should just carry and use it and see if it works the friction out as it wears in...?

Hmmm....

Yes. I bought two and own two. The second one did not show any lock stick. Well, my first one did not really have ordinary lock stick but seemed to have a bump on the blade tang halfway before full engagement of the lock bar. Sharpie technique helped a lot anyway, and in the course of a week the stick was gone. But there is still a little bit of friction when disengaging unlike other frame lock knives I have. It gives a feeling of security, and I love it.

Miso

Yes. I bought two and own two. The second one did not show any lock stick. Well, my first one did not really have ordinary lock stick but seemed to have a bump on the blade tang halfway before full engagement of the lock bar. Sharpie technique helped a lot anyway, and in the course of a week the stick was gone. But there is still a little bit of friction when disengaging unlike other frame lock knives I have. It gives a feeling of security, and I love it.

Miso

Sou ka. hai wakatta. Framelock ga chotto ittakatta... Sharpie wo tsukau.

I will continue using mine. Did not really smooth out much with use today, but I'm in for the long haul. I like this knife. I will try to use a sharpie on the lockbar face (maybe hard to reach in there?)

Been using it all day to cut paper, slice plastic labels, jacket a few cables and wires...
...and also make myself and improvised cup out of a water bottle to drop in some immune system booster to fight off all the flu everyone has around me! :barf:

An unglamorous, unstaged, in-the-moment shot from earlier.
20161221_130714_zpsndodchfq.jpg

Sou ka. hai wakatta. Framelock ga chotto ittakatta... Sharpie wo tsukau.

I will continue using mine. Did not really smooth out much with use today, but I'm in for the long haul. I like this knife. I will try to use a sharpie on the lockbar face (maybe hard to reach in there?)

Been using it all day to cut paper, slice plastic labels, jacket a few cables and wires...
...and also make myself and improvised cup out of a water bottle to drop in some immune system booster to fight off all the flu everyone has around me! :barf:

An unglamorous, unstaged, in-the-moment shot from earlier.

Wow. Where did you learn that method of spelling Japanese?:thumbup:

I also found it difficult to apply sharpie on the tang but was able to do so by opening the blade to the point just before the lock bar is about to drop in. So you apply sharpie from the front instead of the back.

Miso

Spydiechef? Is that like Spiderman's cousin?

On the real though Spyderco hit it out of the park with this one.

Wow. Where did you learn that method of spelling Japanese?:thumbup:

I also found it difficult to apply sharpie on the tang but was able to do so by opening the blade to the point just before the lock bar is about to drop in. So you apply sharpie from the front instead of the back.

Miso

Yeah, romaji! I was never good with kanji.
I studied in Hikone-shi, Shiga-Ken over a decade ago. Unfortunately I have forgotten a lot of grammar! Sad.
I see you are in Kyoto. I spent a lot of time there, and in Osaka, on weekends while I lived in Japan.

I've been using the sharpie on the tang and it's working itself out very nicely. Lock stick is almost unnoticeable. This really is a fantastic knife!

Loctite Spyderco? If there is one knife in your lineup that begs to be disassembled periodically it is this one.

Loctite Spyderco? If there is one knife in your lineup that begs to be disassembled periodically it is this one.

Not sure I follow... pretty easy flow through design to keep clean. No bearings to get gritty. No liners to trap moisture...

The pivot is loctited and you cannot disassemble according to warranty. This knife gets used in the kitchen a lot. I just noticed a bunch of gunk around the pivot. Yeah, I cleaned it with Alcohol and a swab but it would be nice to occasionally disassemble. Not a deal breaker by any means. This knife will see tons of use.

The pivot is loctited and you cannot disassemble according to warranty. This knife gets used in the kitchen a lot. I just noticed a bunch of gunk around the pivot. Yeah, I cleaned it with Alcohol and a swab but it would be nice to occasionally disassemble. Not a deal breaker by any means. This knife will see tons of use.

I see what you're saying. There are ways to deal with stubborn loctite, if one were determined, but I think I'll be fine.

Back