SpydieChef thread

Yeah, it took me couple of months... but really wanted to test it well before a final verdict on that new steel. And it is quite spectacular IMHO, especially considering its rustproof nature. It's a real gem, I edc mine a lot. Anyway, here's my write-up for ITS Tactical, enjoy:

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/knives/spyderco-spydiechef-a-versatile-chefs-knife-in-your-pocket/

IMG_2106.jpg

Awesome write up!! Thanks Piter! Can't wait for that Swayback!! I just finished my Spyderco Slysz trio :)

I just got a Spydiechef today. I diced a tomato and an onion with it. I "rocker" diced the onion. While it doesn't dice as well as say, a 5'" Santoku,..it did a very good job and I would say it works very well as a pocketable food prep knife. It works way better than my Gayle Bradley I. I'm looking forward to using it for skinning as It feels like it would do that quite well.

Got my SpydieChef a week ago. Beautiful design. Been mainly cutting up a lot of of boxes and cartons for recycling. Factory sharpness was restored in less than a minute on a fine stone. The sharpness level and edge holding of LC200N steel seems superior to most steels, stainless or not. The blade design lends itself to myriad uses beyond food prep.

Empty wish:--- If Spyderco made a heavier duty version with the same blade shape and steel but with Hinderer-style lockup where dual studs on either side of the blade make contact shallow cutouts in the frame slabs, I would buy it in a minute. That kind of lockup provides lateral support and is the strongest there is.

So you want a cross between the Spydiechef and the Vallotton Sub Hilt. Well the wharnie Delica guy got his wish.

Glad you got your wish. Don't get me wrong; I love my Spydiechef. And I'm reassured, finding out, from this thread, that the late lockup is by design, not chance.

I've been thinking about a Spydiechef for quite some time. I typically carry a CRK Large Insingo which I've had for a number of years now. I do like the CRK design and ability to break down easily for cleaning it is not a very good slicer nor does it have anything special when it comes to edge holding. I typically touch it up at the same rate as my Alox Vic Soldier that I also use daily. That means I touch them both up about 2x/week on either a strop or on a Sharpmaker with a fine ceramic stone.
Given the great slicing ability of the Spydiechef it is time to pick one up and potentially retire my CRK as a daily user. I'm ordering one before EOW so I should be able to do a comparison soon.

Hopefully, there is no conflict between Spyderco and Slysz like with Mehr, and Spydiechef continues unlike Slysz Bowie.

I have been on the fence with these for a long time now and *finally* pulled the trigger a week ago. The knife just showed up today and I am impressed! Great fit and finish, and has gotten noticeably smoother just in the half hour I've been playing with it.

I think a titanium framelock from Spyderco is one of the best fidget toys ever made!

I also bought a new Spydiechef a few weeks ago. When I opened the box, it had that excess of factory pivot grease residue all over the place which was not inspiring to say the least plus terrible lockbar stick. I wiped her down and then followed the Sharpie trick to the tang which immediately and magically negated that sticking issue. A hundred or so opening and shutting later plus loosening the pivot ever sooo slightly (maybe 1/8th of a turn?), this Spydie is glassy smooth and I can even spy die flick it with the middle finger if I can squeeze the darn thang in there! Very, very happy with it not only as a "fidgeting toy" like G.G had mentioned but also as a legit cutting / slicing fiend :)

Pics below are a couple of weeks old now ;)

PmusxHD.jpg

qieqddk.jpg

Marcin Slysz just post on Instagram photos of what is apparently a prototype of the SpydieChef 2. Looks a little longer that the current version with a different blade shape. Very interesting.

Back