Square bladed knife to carry on a boat.

Hi,

My Mom needs a square, fixed blade knife to carry on a tour boat that she volunteers on. Searched around and found a few that may be nice. Was just wondering if anyone had any reco's on this type of knife.

Thanks!
Chris

Not sure what you are meaning by "square bladed". Mora makes a chisel knife that doesn't have a point but rather ends in a right angle. Like a chisel with one of the sides sharpened. It is made for woodworkers, carpenters, etc. About 17 bucks.

11398.jpg

Last edited:
Any sheepsfoot blade will work. I'll go ahead and toss in a recommendation for a Spyderco Pacific Salt (or whichever is the sheepsfoot, I forget). The H1 steel is awesome for working around water, where corrosion may be an issue if the knife isn't always kept spotless.

DO you want square-tip like a chisel (Razel) or blunt-tip like a rescue or a dive knife?

Gerber River Shorty and EPIC are two I can recommend. The Shorty is full serrated (some don't like that) and the Epic has more of a point (though it's still subdued), but both are small, non-threatening & unobtrusive, and inexpensive (not something you're worried about losing) while fairly durable and ergonomic.

Look at the Benchmade Triage. It comes in a sheepsfoot and a blunt-tipped version, the 915 and 916. Includes a rescue hook and the bladesteel is a very rust resistant N680.

If the objective of the "square fixed blade knife" is a blunt tip for safety, the Boye Basic 3 Cobalt is available with a blunt tip. It's not cheap, but it should hold an edge well and will not rust

Back