SR-1 Reassembly

Love my new SR1a in green and silver but need some assistence, hopefully you guys can help me out.

My question is: I want to take apart my SR1a to clean and relube but I haven't because I don't think I could get it back together. The blade and washers fit with like zero gap into the frame (at the top) and I don't want to force them in there and risk damaging/bending the soft teflon washers. Is there a secret that you guys use to get the blade and washers into the frame without causing damage?

I appreciate any help since this has been bugging me for a while.
-Kyle

Last edited:
yes there is a secret.. :D very easy...

I have already sent you a mail, I hope it is clear.

What I have done is this; I removed the teflon washers and replaced them with phospher/bronze washers. The thickness for the teflon washers is .024", while the p/b washers are .015". This made it easy to do and to reassemble. I put a drop of oil on the lockside washer to help hold it in place, then I inserted the pivot pin and put it in only far enough to come level with the washer. I then put the blade in and pushed the pivot on in to hold the blade in place, but not far enough to go all the way through. This allowed me enough space to put the other washer in place. I put a drop of oil on the washer and came up from the bottom of the handle to put it in place. Another trick I learned in doing this was to have a mini screwdriver handy so that I could place it inside the pivot hole and make sure the inside edges of the washer were not in the way. Then I pushed the pivot on through, put the pivot screw in place, and tightened it up. Blade still lines up perfectly when closed, action is smooth, and getting smoother each time I open it.

Edited to add;

Going from the .024" washers to the .015" washers has not affected the lateral blade play as there is NO lateral bladeplay:thumbup::)

Last edited:
hi gianni dont mean to take thread. .but if u can be so kind as to email me the secret too. .i kinda took it apart but i cant get them in properly. thanks i advance

yes there is a secret.. :D very easy...

I have already sent you a mail, I hope it is clear.
Would you mind sending me the same email? I know this is years and years later but I’ve disassembled mine and bent the Teflon washers. Don’t know what to do at this point.

I just ran into this problem as well. Got my first lionsteel yesterday, sr2-a, and promptly took it apart for cleaning like I do with all my used knives. Long story short, I emailed lionsteel and they are sending me new washers and a tool that they use to put the knives together in the first place for free!

Back