SR1 Fit and Finish Questions

Anyone else see these unevenly grinded corners and lock release depression on their SR1s?

I have a third SR1 Tanto on the way and will check if the lockbar right side corners are over-grinded like these two.

It's just cosmetic and doesn't affect the lockup at all but it annoys me

Last edited:
I popped open two YouTube videos at random and skimmed ahead to where they showed the spine, and both of them show this angled corner on the lockbar.

I'm not sure what it's for, but it doesn't appear to be a manufacturing flaw or error.

I popped open two YouTube videos at random and skimmed ahead to where they showed the spine, and both of them show this angled corner on the lockbar.

I'm not sure what it's for, but it doesn't appear to be a manufacturing flaw or error.

Thanks so much! I wonder if the SR1 Lites have this asymmetrical corner grinds on their lockbars as well

My ocd intensifies...lol

My 4-Max Scout and XL Voyager have those asymmetrical grinds on their lock bars, too. The Voyager's is at the end of the lock bar toward the back of the knife while the Scout's is at the top of the lock bar by the stop pin.

Meanwhile, I like those SR 1s. One for each hand!

My 4-Max Scout and XL Voyager have those asymmetrical grinds on their lock bars, too. The Voyager's is at the end of the lock bar toward the back of the knife while the Scout's is at the top of the lock bar by the stop pin.

Meanwhile, I like those SR 1s. One for each hand!

Thanks for looking! By the way, is your voyager XL the newer AUS10 version?

I wonder if Cold Steel contracted out to a different factory in Taiwan, bc my older AUS8a voyager XLs had flawless symmetrical fit and finish.

I have an AUS10 voyager Tanto on the way and will see if it has those asymmetrical grinds as well.

My XL Voyager is an old AUS8 version. I just checked my Talwar and it's perfect, as is my Holdout III.

This question bothered me slightly when I bought first tri-ad-lock knife (Lawman 1-st gen., with steel liners), and all cold steel folders after that have the same feature. Looks like the remaining marks after stamping. Important parts of lockbar were grinded afterwards to needed tolerances, non-critical parts stayed as-is.

Those knives have some noticeable differences.

The lettering is etched darker on one.
The blade choils look different.

The length even looks different (maybe camera angle).

Bladelana,
Thanks for posting. (First Picture) I noticed that the back spacer is more flush on left SR1 compared to the one on the right. I compared two of my SR1's. They have these cosmetic differences.
Hank

Those knives have some noticeable differences.

The lettering is etched darker on one.
The blade choils look different.

The length even looks different (maybe camera angle).

The laser etching difference is definitely more due to camera and lighting angles.

But the sharpening choil grinds are a ground differently from each other, one is done well, the other is kinda meh.

Lengths are the same but the tanto flat grinds for the secondary points are done well one one and a bit misaligned on the other.

Bladelana,
Thanks for posting. (First Picture) I noticed that the back spacer is more flush on left SR1 compared to the one on the right. I compared two of my SR1's. They have these cosmetic differences.
Hank

Thanks for checking! That's so weird this asymmetric corner grinds are so wide spread!

Comparing the two SR1 lockbar spine corner grinds vs Code 4 s35vn Tanto:

Last edited:
Back