SR1 Fixed Blade Folder.......

jdigi101

Gold Member
Hey Cold Steel Forum!

I hardly post here but I have a ton of Cold Steel blades that I love.

I had to get this one out there. I absolutely love the SR1!!!!!

I live in California and carrying a fixed blade can be tricky and sometimes illegal. While I would love to have a fixed blade on me all the time open carry is not always an option, concealed carry is always illegal and in most social I am not a fan of wearing a belt knife.

There is another kind of issue. I am in the central valley and it gets HOTTTTT!!!!! We have had a several 105 plus days and a few 110 plus days this summer. There are lots of outdoor activities and shorts and a t-shirt are often all I wear hiking, fishing, shooting, or hunting.

I like a 4” to 6” blade in kydex with a Tek-Lok. The issue with that is I often find my shirt has made its way over the knife handle. Not a big deal on a 6”+ knife but any smaller and it covers the whole rig. When that happens, I am criminal. If a Ranger, Police Officer, or Deputy happens to notice it poke out then go back under my shirt it could mean trouble. It may sound far fetched but things happen:

Here’s a good BF thread: https://goo.gl/aRVbuP

While the chances of me exhibiting the “intent” to catch a felony charge are slim to none I do know people that have had their knives confiscated.

So, long story long, I have long since abandoned hopes to have fixed blade capabilities on my person at all times…..until now:
h6dafhp.jpg

The SR1 is a solution that fits my budget and desired knife requirements in a 4” fixed blade knife without any of the legal issues.

My usual EDC is a smaller folder (something that doesn’t make people at work look at me like I pulled a machete out of pants) in my front pocket and something beefier in IWB. The SR1 is way more capable than my usual IWB folders and is just as easy and comfortable to carry. Here are some of my EDC blades with the SR1 (AM-4 has been in my front pocket for a while now):
chqScJf.jpg

XgHf9s0.jpg

Here it is with one of my favorite fixed blades:
rRtrI4V.jpg

1Uiakse.jpg

Thanks Cold Steel!!!! The SR1 is a game changer for me. I am actually hoping you come out with a “thick” Recon 1 series. Man, an XL Recon 1 Clip Point, maybe in 3V, would be sweet!!!!!

I love my SR1. It is solid and inspires confidence. The lock up is totally solid. I think the test is, would I buy another if I lost it? The answer is yes.

So after getting replacements (thanks again @k-shi) for my two SR1s which both had bladeplay I finally had the chance to take the SR1 outside for some hiking and a bit of gardenwork. Carrying the knife is more pleasant than I suspected. My Cargos got a small pocket inside the sidepocket into which the knife fits perfectly and after some time I forgot that it was there. In the normal sidepockets it acts a bit like a pendulum, but only if you don't clip it to the pocket, which I didn't because the clip is really tight...I hoped the new styled clip would be a bit looser but on this knife it's just as tight as the clips on the Recon 1s, AKs etc.
The blade came super sharp. I had to cut some foam material and it was really easy. When clearing shrubs in the garden I noticed that the knife due to it's relatively long handle and hefty blade is nice for some light chopping. Unfortunately I had no chance to test how it performs at carving but I'm planing to build a Figure 4 trap with it. I'll keep you updated

I love the SR1 as well, but I would be negligent if I didn't say (in a Ricky Ricardo voice).

"Jus Don Take off Da Pocket Clip Lucy"

It would be negligent to not mention one should not remove the pocket clip? Why? Curious.

Nice pics and congrats on finding a knife you love!

Has anyone thinned the edge at all on an SR1 ?
I did, with a long, careful session with the Sharpmaker cbn rods, followed by the medium stones. Still a very strong blade but a better slicer with 15 degrees per side. Took a while but that was the only sharpener I had with me at the time.

Any idea, roughly, how long it took?

About 30-45 minutes. I took my time.
Because it took so long , it makes me think the heat treatment of the s35v must be pretty hard. Perhaps that will translate to good edge retention. Just a guess.

Great job. Thank you.
I let my SR1 go - I sort of needed the money. Now I've got sellers regret, so will get another one when I can.

Has anyone bought a SR1 recently? How are they coming regarding the previous problems some people had?

I recently picked up one of the newer tanto versions. Mine hasn't got any of the issues at all. In fact, I would say it is as close to flawless as any knife I've seen. They really are wonderful, and carry better than I expected. To my eye, the tanto blade balances out the size of the handle better than the clip point and it seems to perform well. Will be interesting to see where Cold Steel goes with this one.

OK, SR1 users only: how does the handle feel when doing some extended heavy-ish cutting? Because it does not look like it would be good at all, with hot spots and all that. Please convince me if you can, I do like it otherwise...

Even
Hey Cold Steel Forum!

I hardly post here but I have a ton of Cold Steel blades that I love.

I had to get this one out there. I absolutely love the SR1!!!!!

I live in California and carrying a fixed blade can be tricky and sometimes illegal. While I would love to have a fixed blade on me all the time open carry is not always an option, concealed carry is always illegal and in most social I am not a fan of wearing a belt knife.

There is another kind of issue. I am in the central valley and it gets HOTTTTT!!!!! We have had a several 105 plus days and a few 110 plus days this summer. There are lots of outdoor activities and shorts and a t-shirt are often all I wear hiking, fishing, shooting, or hunting.

I like a 4” to 6” blade in kydex with a Tek-Lok. The issue with that is I often find my shirt has made its way over the knife handle. Not a big deal on a 6”+ knife but any smaller and it covers the whole rig. When that happens, I am criminal. If a Ranger, Police Officer, or Deputy happens to notice it poke out then go back under my shirt it could mean trouble. It may sound far fetched but things happen:

Here’s a good BF thread: https://goo.gl/aRVbuP

While the chances of me exhibiting the “intent” to catch a felony charge are slim to none I do know people that have had their knives confiscated.

So, long story long, I have long since abandoned hopes to have fixed blade capabilities on my person at all times…..until now:
h6dafhp.jpg

The SR1 is a solution that fits my budget and desired knife requirements in a 4” fixed blade knife without any of the legal issues.

My usual EDC is a smaller folder (something that doesn’t make people at work look at me like I pulled a machete out of pants) in my front pocket and something beefier in IWB. The SR1 is way more capable than my usual IWB folders and is just as easy and comfortable to carry. Here are some of my EDC blades with the SR1 (AM-4 has been in my front pocket for a while now):
chqScJf.jpg

XgHf9s0.jpg

Here it is with one of my favorite fixed blades:
rRtrI4V.jpg

1Uiakse.jpg

Thanks Cold Steel!!!! The SR1 is a game changer for me. I am actually hoping you come out with a “thick” Recon 1 series. Man, an XL Recon 1 Clip Point, maybe in 3V, would be sweet!!!!!

Would love to get the SR1 myself, but I have soooo many knives I’m to the point of gifting them.

FYI, Even partial partial covering of your sheath knife will result in a misdemeanor concealed dirk or dagger in Cali, and heaven help you if you have a run in with someone while wearing it and they claim you reached for it/touched it.

Stay safe, and keep collecting!

Dave

Gift some to me if you need to lol, but get it. You know you need a beefy folder like this!

Back