SR1 Pocket clip screws and observations

mick_1krr would you have any idea why these screws strip out after going in fine a few turns? or wont go back in at all ?its like they go in a little then crossthread themselves.i cant see how that can happen when they are going in aligned?Im thinking its the threaded barrel that its going into. maybe the threads are so soft its getting chewed up just from contact..

mick_1krr would you have any idea why these screws strip out after going in fine a few turns? or wont go back in at all ?its like they go in a little then crossthread themselves.i cant see how that can happen when they are going in aligned?Im thinking its the threaded barrel that its going into. maybe the threads are so soft its getting chewed up just from contact..
Hi mate, I actually think it's a combination of things.
- Threads are way too fine
- Barrels may be slightly misaligned once the pressure from the tight screw has been backed off, just enough to start some cross threading, best to loosen as much as you can on both sides before trying to screw them back in
- Also i think the steel on the screws is a bit too soft, as one of mine looks almost bent slightly but it honestly took hardly any force at all to loosen it.
- Oh and did i mention T-6 screws suck? especially when they use a size and thread weirdly different to every other cold steel knife ever made? So so stupid.

And I put my foot in my mouth months back when someone posted they were worried about the sr1 because of the 4max problems, I reassured them it wasn't going to happen. Glad I didn't place a bet in Vegas on it....

Has anyone noticed any loctite? Years ago I took apart something electronic (I can't remember what now) that I had the same sort of problem with. Very tiny little screws weren't going back together and would strip or not screw in all the way once reassembled. I ended up with a magnifying glass and a flashlight trying to figure out what in the sam h377 was going on.

I noticed some small flakes and that the threads seemed stripped on the barrels. After getting a few flakes out I realized it was loctite. I don't remember what actually got it all out but I used a heat gun, alcohol, acetone, and I can't remember what else. It did go back together pretty easily after getting all the loctite out. I don't know if that's the problem with the SR1 but I thought maybe I could give you guys a possible option.

There was no thread locker on any of the small screws on mine. Don't recall if the pivot had any or not, but I did add a drop of 242 to it before reassembling, which is a habit of mine whether it came with any from the factory or not.

Remember me from the other thread.. I was just checking out screws on my replacement I got 2 days ago. I just noticed Im missing one of three on the oposite side of pocket clip. I didnt use the knife yet or carried it much, so I think it was missing from the factory. Dont know how I didnt notice it immediately. Also one of the other screws was not tight, so I backed it out to see what kind of threads it has and yeah no loctite. Maybe CS should put a bag of extra screws with this knife. ;) I can now surely say this has been the most unlucky knife for me so far.

Are any of the SR1 pocket clip screws under tension like the one on the 4-MAX? I haven't checked my SR1...Maybe I'll be the guina pig....

The sr1 is made in the same factory as the recon 1 and all the other similar folders. why didn't they just use the common and proven pocket clip screws/hardware that already existed instead of coming up with these crappy ones? A single little change like that turns out to be a disaster.

Update 1:
I've sent in 2 parts requests to CS for new screws, but haven't heard back yet.
I've ordered some screws from Ontario Canada. Awaiting arrival.
Meanwhile the SR1 sits in the drawer of shame for the time being.

Update 2:
To follow

Glad I found this thread before I ordered.

I'd be more encouraged if an official source chimed in with either a fix or a plan to change moving forward.

Been waiting 7 weeks now for the return of the sr1 from cold steel. Easily the most disappointing knife purchase of the year. I'm hoping it shows up this week.Too bad I didn't leave well enough alone, but that pocket clip was so tight I couldn't even pull it away from the scale to get it in my pocket.

Update 3:

Successful! The new screws arrived. They are 2-56x5/16 BHCS. Made by Team Associated. These ones are black. My pocket clip is finally returned to its rightful resting place and removed from the drawer of shame. I will be changing out all of the screws. Black screws and green G10 looks awesome with the back spacer! Did you hear that CS?

I never heard back from cold Steel regarding my parts request.

All the best and thanks to all who helped. Side note: mail call on the police G10 and the police SS. I still like the SR1 btw.

Nice to know that these screws are actually obtainable after all. I just found some on ebay with free shipping from China. Helps when you live in EU. So are all SR1 screws equal lenght? I think I read before that some are shorter than others? The ones oposite the pocket clip maybe? Nice to know that barrels where screws go into didnt strip..just the screws. Could you post a pic how it looks now with the black screws?

Nice to know that these screws are actually obtainable after all. I just found some on ebay with free shipping from China. Helps when you live in EU. So are all SR1 screws equal lenght? I think I read before that some are shorter than others? The ones oposite the pocket clip maybe? Nice to know that barrels where screws go into didnt strip..just the screws. Could you post a pic how it looks now with the black screws?

The screws opposite the clip are 7/32" (5.5mm) long, and the ones that go through the clip are 5/16" (8mm) long.

Reactions: MiL
Screws from TA? Cool, loved my RC10, in my racing days...Haven't explored the SR issues much further, though....

I wasn't even looking for this today. I just happened to check the forums. I just finished writing the note to go with my SR1 when I return it tomorrow because of the screw stripping. I'm left handed and went to swap the clip. They didn't all want to go in but it was a different one of the three with each attempt. Then one of them snapped and the screw is stuck in the folder. So I'm returning it. I haven't seen this in a CS folder before. I have Voyagers, Code 4 in a couple of blade styles, recon 1, mini recons and more. This is the first CS folder I've had an issue with and it's one of the most expensive and supposedly (hard use). Since I'm left handed I've had to swap every one of the CS knives so it's not like this is the first I've had to do it on. So I guess I'll get it back in a couple of months.

Yeah, the other day I also had a screw (from the my returned SR1) snap on my new replacement SR1 that I received with a screw missing. I knew what to expect but it still went wrong when I was backing out the screw since it got stuck going in. I guess the threads were bad from the other knife even thou they looked fine on visual inspection and the screw was already weakened. Luckily screw is one of three on the opposite side of the clip, so its not really holding anything. Just a cosmetic issue. I glued back the head with strong epoxy and I'm done touching screws on this knife. My conclusion is that screw barrels are not fixed to the backspacer/frame and they spin as you work the screws. Thats where the things go wrong. So solution is to remove both screws at the same time and screw them back in at the same time using two screwdrivers while trying to use the same revolutions on each side. Good idea is to use a vice to hold the knife in place. Do not overtighten and use drop of loctite instead. Hope people understand the mess I wrote but I'm in the hurry and my English is wobbly. I think these things should be recaled or come with a waring to not touch the screws and we should be able to return it for revision 2 if they ever make one. Hard use folder and you cant take it apart to clean the mud and dirt properly?! Ridiculous! :mad:

ive been waiting 2 months now for the knife to return,it went back in late july. I'm calling tomorrow to see whats going on,i cant believe the problems everyones having with the screws.i thought the early 4max was an issue, this is much worse.....

With all the Cold Steel aggressive G10 pocket clips, what I do is

Slide a penny (in the case of the SR1, a quarter) underthe clip for an hour or so. Then I take a sheet of 150 grain sand paper, and slide it under, and back out a couple of times-but don’t over do it.

Works like a charm.

I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread, that described the fasteners in this knife.

I noticed earlier today, that while the blade centering looked nearly dead on at the tip, the blade was not spaced evenly at the pivot. It was causing a bit of rubbing between the clip side (right orientation) scale and blade.

So armed with the great info in this thread, I only removed the screws from the non clip side, and removed the scales, and then the blade. There was some gunk on and under the liners, under the Teflon washers, and around the pivot. All most likely from the manufacturer. Anyway, I was able to clean everything out and get the knife reassembled with ease (thanks again guys).

Now everything is dead on centered!

Back