SR101 Strippers?

Has anyone else stripped a newer SR101 blade?

I stripped my BG EPD and literally applied the final Oxpho-Blue finish within 30 minutes of pulling it from the stripper. All it needed was a couple of once-over's with scotch-brite pads and it was done. Very little decarb, no gremlins or even milling marks to speak of.

I'd like to see more newer ones stripped to see if this is the new normal or if I have an anomaly. I'm planning to strip another one when I have time.

EPD1.jpg

EPD2.jpg

Decarb is an already 'corroded' steel layer, after stripping the carbon would bind with oxygen and leave gaps for more oxygen to bind with steel.
I've tried (same logic train) to get decarb off from next to the handle with ferric chloride... and it only rusted a lot more...

Decarb is an already 'corroded' steel layer, after stripping the carbon would bind with oxygen and leave gaps for more oxygen to bind with steel.
I've tried (same logic train) to get decarb off from next to the handle with ferric chloride... and it only rusted a lot more...
PCB Etchant/ferric chloride is nasty stuff. I use it to get a deep etch on the logo but I wouldn’t use it anywhere else. On my first stripper I tried to “trough” it off with gorilla tape and it ended up under the scales :eek:

I wouldn’t want to try soaking an entire blade in it. If diluting an acid, go slow.:thumbsup:

The thing with ferric chloride is that if you drop the blade in by your naked hands you'll end up with finger prints etched into the steel surface...

I take 'em right straight to satin so never worried about the bark on SR-101 but I would suspect it's as prone to rust since it is a film layer of Carbon (decarburiztion).

That's happens not to be the case. Decarburization means that the HT process has stripped the carbon from a thin surface layer of the steel. I have taken all my strippers, INFI and SR101, to a Scotchbright wheel for a ghetto satin. Seems to work OK.

I stripped my BG EPD and literally applied the final Oxpho-Blue finish within 30 minutes of pulling it from the stripper. All it needed was a couple of once-over's with scotch-brite pads and it was done. Very little decarb, no gremlins or even milling marks to speak of.

I'd like to see more newer ones stripped to see if this is the new normal or if I have an anomaly. I'm planning to strip another one when I have time.

View attachment 770029

View attachment 770030
That looks great Chad and you had a perfect no hassle piece to work with there for sure.

That's happens not to be the case. Decarburization means that the HT process has stripped the carbon from a thin surface layer of the steel. I have taken all my strippers, INFI and SR101, to a Scotchbright wheel for a ghetto satin. Seems to work OK.
The Film Bark layer is burnt Carbon "Decarb" I've made enough of it in my own shop to know what it looks like and I stated I go straight to satin using a 2X72 grinder from 220 grit up to 600 Cork belt then Xtra fine scotchbrite my satin is closer to a Busse satin.

This is the only gremlin attack I've had on the 4 or 5 I've stripped, INFI and SR101

2zijNV4.jpg

This is the knife that made my Dremel quit..MOFO..already living up to the name..

Last edited:
I would say tooling chatter when the cnc is indexing if you look closely you see in the above photo it follows the first of the CBT grooves just above it....happens when tool bits wear there may be a sprue from uneven wear.

I would say tooling chatter when the cnc is indexing if you look closely you see in the above photo it follows the first of the CBT grooves just above it....happens when tool bits wear there may be a sprue from uneven wear.
I can't find the right words to explain it but the marks never look "uniform" or maybe "deliberate" enough to have been done by a machine. Some are curvy. Some are zig-zagged. Some even go loopy like illegible cursive writing. Seems like a machine would go about it in a much more uniform and straightforward pattern.

View attachment 770029

View attachment 770030

Chad, that one came out beautifully! :cool: Wish we could expect them all to be so blemish-free under the coatings.

I wish we knew what that nasty marks are really from....

You and me both. :( Boss seems pretty intent on not telling us though. o_O Acknowledged them toward the end of the BG FBM thread, and obviously knew we were asking about them, but refrained from explaining what they were. :confused:

Good guess, but based on all the pics of them we've seen posted, the marks are way too random.

I can't find the right words to explain it but the marks never look "uniform" or maybe "deliberate" enough to have been done by a machine. Some are curvy. Some are zig-zagged. Some even go loopy like illegible cursive writing. Seems like a machine would go about it in a much more uniform and straightforward pattern.

Exactly! Your DTBM is a perfect example:

Not talking about marks left over from the actual grinding of the blade. Talking about the ones that look purposefully done with a zip wheel after the blade has been ground. I've cut my buying way back because of those.
View attachment 766055

(Pic from above quote)

2017-09-16-07-38-30-jpg.766055

The decarb is absolutely more prone to rust. No discussion.

The grinder marks are a whole different conversation. I've had several theories, but none of them fit. If they aren't deliberate, I have to question the whole qc process. If they are deliberate, I got to ask why?

Either way, they need to stop.

Chad, that one came out beautifully! :cool: Wish we could expect them all to be so blemish-free under the coatings.

You and me both. :( Boss seems pretty intent on not telling us though. o_O Acknowledged them toward the end of the BG FBM thread, and obviously knew we were asking about them, but refrained from explaining what they were. :confused:

Good guess, but based on all the pics of them we've seen posted, the marks are way too random.

Exactly! Your DTBM is a perfect example:

(Pic from above quote)

2017-09-16-07-38-30-jpg.766055

I have not seen all the photos of stripped blades recently, but that is some crazy stuff right there. I have been lucky I guess to not have any with a gremlin scribble that's pretty bad and no reason for it to be there serves no purpose. I have had what looked like tooling chatter that dressed out with light grinding only. Bad JuJu right there.

On a lighter note, I am absolutely in love with my new toy. Did a little sanding on her today. I like the looks of the dimples on the flats but I can't really sand the decarb out of the bottoms of them so I'm kinda thinking I might bead blast it and then try to get it to patina similarly to what it looks like right now.2017-09-25 12.41.55.jpg

So Jerry already said the markers were not intentional, but he never did say what caused it or why they were there. I'm still really curious because I have a stripped Rucki with some.

So Jerry already said the markers were not intentional, but he never did say what caused it or why they were there. I'm still really curious because I have a stripped Rucki with some.
Unless I missed another one of his comments, I believe he just said "Nope" to someone's theory that they were put there to discourage people from stripping their blades.

You did not miss it, I took that comment of his as the marks not being intentionally put on the blades - to discourage strippers.

Unless I missed another one of his comments, I believe he just said "Nope" to someone's theory that they were put there to discourage people from stripping their blades.

This.

I don't recall seeing Jerry state whether or not they were intentional and I'd agree with clamp. Probably trying to prevent free self upgrades of the blade finish but maybe Jerry attempting to minimize DIY work on his the blades too.

Who knows

Back