SRK

I’ve been looking for a 6” blade to use for camping if I needed to chop some wood and possibly use for self defense (highly doubt that would ever happen) and I like that the new SRK in SK5 is only $40 on Amazon. Anybody used it before? Upsides, downsides, surprised after using it? For only $40 I figure I can abuse it and not be out a lot of money.

Is that full Tang thickness like the more expensive versions? That's a lot of blade for the buck!

I have two and find them to be a perfectly acceptable camp knife. Comfortable handle, decent sheath, and robust enough for bashing on wood.

I also like how the edge is ground closer to the handle on these models as opposed to the older ones.

40 bucks...worth it!

LOL... good one.
I personally would spend a bit more and get the 3v one.
True, I’ve thought about that. The price difference between the SRK 3V and the Fallkniven A1 is about $20 on Amazon. Makes me debate just picking up the Fallkniven. But I’m not going to be heading out to the wilderness and get lost, just camping lol. I do love the look of the Fallknivens though.
Sometimes the price for the SK5 version drops to $35. I’m tempted at that price so I can destroy it without feeling too bad.

I have two and find them to be a perfectly acceptable camp knife. Comfortable handle, decent sheath, and robust enough for bashing on wood.

I also like how the edge is ground closer to the handle on these models as opposed to the older ones.

40 bucks...worth it!

I do like the handles on the Cold Steel. I have held a SRK before and found the handle comfortable. Glad it’s robust enough for chopping wood. How around sharpening it, is that easy as well?

Cold Steel SK-5 is very easy to sharpen. It responds well to a wide variety of sharpeners, and tunes up quickly. This model has a slight hollow grind, which helps aid in cutting.

The sheath will dull the edge a bit, but if your careful not to drag the edge it’s not too bad. Despite this shortcoming, it’s actually a nice sheath considering the price point.

Again, for the money, it’s a great value for what you get. Plus, it’s made in Taiwan so the fit and finish is quite good.

Back